Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:30 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times

Advertisements

I've asked similar questions in the Fashion and Beauty Forum and couldn't get a straight answer, so, I decided to ask it on this forum because maybe it can be looked at from a psychological perspective. As a man who wears shorts that are shorter than knee length, I have had negative reactions from people on quite a few occasions, to include being laughed at , comments, and even had my picture taken on at least one occasion, and in almost all of the incidents, the people having these reactions were females. I have also noticed that as male fashion retreats from the long and baggy trend and shorts are getting shorter and shirts and pants less baggy, and short sleeves on shirts are getting a little shorter, when I hear women talk about it, they are almost always making negative comments about it. I remember one time, I asked several female family members and co-workers if they preferred longer shorts on guys, shorter shorts, or didn't care, and they all said they preferred long shorts on guys and couldn't give a straight answer when I asked them why other than to indicate that a guy's thighs are gross. Yesterday, the topic came up again and I overheard two females talking about the new male fashion and how they didn't care for it because it showed more skin. What I don't understand is that these same women, who are heterosexual and therefore, supposedly attracted to men, wear very skin-bearing attire themselves and are not bothered by and even say it looks good when other women wear clothing that shows a lot of skin. So, my question is, why do the majority of women not like it when a man wears something that shows more skin, especially leg, while praising or not minding when another woman wears clothing that shows skin (a lot more skin)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 02:32 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
I think you're spending too much time pondering and discussing the length of your shorts.

Wear what you like.

And use a paragraph now and then. TYVM

Old 07-23-2017, 02:36 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Guess I am not included in this generalized "majority of women"....I couldn't care less about the length of a man's shorts (unless of course they choose to wear their underwear in public). But then I don't wear skimpy revealing clothing for anyone's benefit either.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:52 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
You oughta get a load of the length? of Tom Selleck's shorts in the old "Magnum PI" series (1980-8).

Not to mention men's basketball shorts 1950-80s compared to the baggy knee-length ones they've been wearing in recent times.

We didn't give a second thought back then but now they look comical.

And if male celebs and athletes started wearing them again, most people wouldn't be "against" them.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:53 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Why are most women against mens' clothing that shows more skin than
Your neighborhood is higher rent than mine that's for sure. In my area, not showing butt cracks is about the limit of concern.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I've asked similar questions in the Fashion and Beauty Forum and couldn't get a straight answer, so, I decided to ask it on this forum because maybe it can be looked at from a psychological perspective. As a man who wears shorts that are shorter than knee length, I have had negative reactions from people on quite a few occasions, to include being laughed at , comments, and even had my picture taken on at least one occasion, and in almost all of the incidents, the people having these reactions were females. I have also noticed that as male fashion retreats from the long and baggy trend and shorts are getting shorter and shirts and pants less baggy, and short sleeves on shirts are getting a little shorter, when I hear women talk about it, they are almost always making negative comments about it. I remember one time, I asked several female family members and co-workers if they preferred longer shorts on guys, shorter shorts, or didn't care, and they all said they preferred long shorts on guys and couldn't give a straight answer when I asked them why other than to indicate that a guy's thighs are gross. Yesterday, the topic came up again and I overheard two females talking about the new male fashion and how they didn't care for it because it showed more skin. What I don't understand is that these same women, who are heterosexual and therefore, supposedly attracted to men, wear very skin-bearing attire themselves and are not bothered by and even say it looks good when other women wear clothing that shows a lot of skin. So, my question is, why do the majority of women not like it when a man wears something that shows more skin, especially leg, while praising or not minding when another woman wears clothing that shows skin (a lot more skin)?
Why on earth do you care?
Psychology is about you, not them.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:41 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
I think there's a deeper question about how these so-called fashion rules reflect societal views on the bodies of each gender.

In supposedly more conservative times, we thought nothing of men wearing shorts that today would be considered very short and tight. But in these more "tolerant" times, we seem to have more of a problem with the male body and than its female counterpoint.

I don't know the answer and don't give it a ton of thought, but I think the OP's question is a valid one.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,797 times
I had no idea that most women felt that way. Another concern that never had occurred to me before.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
I grew up in the 70s when groovy dudes wore high cut shorts and knee-high socks.
I never gave it any thought... and I can't say that I see many modern-day men wearing short shorts! I wouldn't be fazed by it, however, because I rarely ever notice what others are wearing. I say go for it if ya wanna wear some shorts!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Wear whatever shorts you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology