Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

Narcissistic Personality Disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ality_disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border...ality_disorder

Being 'narcissistic' has suddenly become fad lingo and terminology. Often brought into conversation by the narcissistic qualities of too many 'selfies', but it goes deeper than that too.

Have you known anyone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder and/or Borderline Personality Disorder?

The psychological syndromes are said to be pretty intractable - not easily eradicated by therapy and counseling, and most of the traits remain life long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 04:08 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Narcissistic Personality Disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ality_disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border...ality_disorder

Being 'narcissistic' has suddenly become fad lingo and terminology. Often brought into conversation by the narcissistic qualities of too many 'selfies', but it goes deeper than that too.

Have you known anyone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder and/or Borderline Personality Disorder?

The psychological syndromes are said to be pretty intractable - not easily eradicated by therapy and counseling, and most of the traits remain life long.
My Mother likely had both (fits symptoms to a T), and was a sadist as well.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Pop is most likely a narcissist, and my mother has all the signs of BPD. Pop is easy to deal with, and mom has been put at a distance. I hate being on guard against her manipulations all the time - it's exhausting. Pop currently has dementia and is living with me (on what he thinks is an extended vacation). He's pretty compliant, and I think he's happy to be around me at this stage of his life - partly because I wait on him hand and foot.

My mother is currently terrified that I will confront her about all the emotional abuse and craziness, and I'm just glad she's staying away.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
By the Wikipedia definition, I know of a narcissist. She's an extended family member who takes her parents and siblings for granted. She was (and still is) a huge mooch. Her siblings buys food for everyone in the house to eat, but she only buys food for herself.

She makes a mess for her siblings to clean up. She let the family's dogs escape but didn't tell anyone (her siblings found out when a stranger was nice to enough to bring the dogs to the vet, who called one of the siblings).

She doesn't like one of the family dogs, would hit him, then called animal control when he bit her. Ha, even a dog knows she's bad. But she loves her own pets (cats) and spoils them.

She got her own computer room (in addition to her bedroom) while her siblings only have their bedrooms (okay, it's not her fault that's she's spoiled).

There are so many more examples of her meanness and nastiness, but these are a few.

I don't know anyone who has a borderline personality.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I am very familiar with BPD, and narcissistic and sociopathic personalities as my ex wife is one. I thought it was bipolar at first. Horrible, horrible experience.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
I've known 2 people with BPD in my life. Started out as friends with both of them. One got help and did much better. One got scary and I avoid him now.

It's horribly sad that people have to deal with these things.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:15 AM

228 posts, read 161,874 times
Yes, I knew a narcissist. We were distant friends for a few years. When she moved up in life, she refused to see me. That was back in college. Then she flunked out of the advanced degree program and humbled down.

Only failure can humble a person.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Personality disorders are highly resistant to treatment, particularly Cluster B disorders...CBT can help make inroads.

As with all particularly disorders, don't confuse subclinical behavioral traits with full pathologies. Every selfish jerk isn't a clinical narcissist...Most are just selfish jerks.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:49 AM

411 posts, read 415,977 times
In my experience, it's the people that direct these accusations of narcissism, psychopathy and abusive behaviour at others, that need to be watched.

I have a family member that has spent all of her years doing this that actually fits the bill of a narcissist - because she's projecting!

Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 AM

372 posts, read 219,808 times
There is a significant difference between a 'narcissistic personality disorder and a Malignant narcissist disorder. Donald Trump has been called a malignant Narcissist, and much of his reported behaviour seems to fits the broad criteria.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Escape from a one-side love affair and move on from unrequited love

Narcissistic personality disorder is a destructive preoccupation with one’s own personal adequacy, power and prestige. People with this disorder crave for admiration, have an unreasonably strong sense of entitlement and are often preoccupied with unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty and ideal love. Unlike malignant narcissism, narcissistic personality disorder is defined as a mental illness in DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the Fifth Edition).

0))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0)))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Malignant narcissism

Campbells’ Psychiatric Dictionary defines malignant narcissism as a mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression and sadism. It is important to mention that malignant narcissism was not included in the latest edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V) and is not considered to be a diagnostic term.

https://psychologia.co/malignant-narcissism/
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology