Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:07 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Could you find creative ways to put rapists, paedofiles, murderers and all sorts of criminals back on the street?
I don't think that's their job

And yes, I can,
all you have to do if create a community for them in the middle of nowhere .... wow, that was difficult
I'll go back to troubleshooting the control panel that is 500 miles away from me that has communication problems between the HMI and VFD and I have never seen in person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:18 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't think that's their job

And yes, I can,
all you have to do if create a community for them in the middle of nowhere .... wow, that was difficult
I'll go back to troubleshooting the control panel that is 500 miles away from me that has communication problems between the HMI and VFD and I have never seen in person

Is not their job? Who then manages to get people like OJ Simpson declared innocent of killing their wives? Not the engineers.

500 miles away, or just around the corner...solving problems takes infinite shapes.

Last edited by Javier77; 08-01-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 09:19 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
How in the hell is "Legal occupations" above "Electrical engineers"?
Legal occupations is all about memorization .... no way in hell they do more analytical thinking than electrical engineers

I have to troubleshoot electrical equipment over the phone for somebody that couldn't finish high school and is trying to make it work on the other side of the World
Tell me one thing that "Legal occupations" do, that would be similar to that.

I'm offended
I'd explain to you what I do a lawyer but it don't think you'd be able to comprehend it based on this post. Suffice it to say that it's not remotely about memorization.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Psychology = fake science. I have known some highly intelligent people who could not change a flat tire. Look at these supposedly high intelligent people running our government. Seriously? I say humbug in regard to such tests.
An IQ test was never purported to measure if or how well someone changes a tire - completely different notions of "intelligence" and spoken like someone with a bad case of sour grapes.

BTW - if people don't value high intelligence as a prerequisite for running the government then they won't elect people based on that - case in point, those voting for Trump.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Eye-Q tests ar dum

Old 08-01-2017, 11:09 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
The most brilliant thing a person could do is to disregard "IQ" tests.
What's really funny is seeing all the people on facebook announcing that they got "197" on their Buzzfeed IQ tests. Well, isn't that special!? Einstein would be intimidated.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I have to say the wording of your topic makes me think you're trying too hard;
"I feel perturbed over the fact that I've obtained a score of 87 on an intelligence quotient test."

...like you're trying to impress people with big words. I would have said something like, "I'm upset I only got 164 on my IQ test."

Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
They ALL test knowledge. Every single one. On the old Wechsler there was a question, "who wrote Faust"

The problem is that there are a BUNCH of different people in different European countries who wrote pretty well known versions of something that was widely known as "Faust". And not all of these folks were on the list of "approved answers".

But a bigger problem was that even if you got one of the "right" answers, you would more than likely be marked wrong because very seldom would the test administrator actually know the correct pronunciation for any of these non-English speaking authors.

In particular, the most widely recognized author of something called Faust or similarly titled in the USA is Goethe. This is pronounced "Gert-ta" or "Ger-tda" (depending on which actual German I ask, LOL!)

My family hails most directly from Germany so I have always correctly pronounced this name.

However every single Wechsler administer I have ever known thinks this is pronounced "Go-th". That's with a long o. Rhymes with SO or HOE, with a "TH" on the end. So I sat there and watched while the Wechsler administer started to mark that wrong, I KNEW they were incorrectly marking it wrong, and then I had to spell it for them to stop them marking it wrong.

No IQ test gets away without expecting a certain level of "cultural" knowledge. Not the whole test necessarily (they used to be much much worse) but significant portions. There were similar questions on the "new" Wechsler, that required you to know things about authors, musicians, scientists, etc, every single such question is a test of knowledge.

As for the OP:

An awful lot of administers of IQ tests are lousy at actually scoring them. Unless you can get a copy of the actual raw test and not just the scores - which is highly unlikely - and are able to have it re-scored by someone you know for a fact is competent to do so, there's no telling what your actual score was.
Wrong-o....sorry you had bad testers...but not all tests use cultural knowledge - try the Raven's Matrices test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven%...ssive_Matrices

And it's very easy to score with no ambiguity.

...there's a lot more out there than traditional tests like the Wechsler, WAIS, and Stanford-Binet.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
How in the hell is "Legal occupations" above "Electrical engineers"?
Legal occupations is all about memorization .... no way in hell they do more analytical thinking than electrical engineers

I'm offended
Facts should not offend one of high IQ.

My daughter is an attorney AND an electrical and computer engineer. Having gone through all the studies in both she confirms that neither is a matter of memorization, but more:

1. Engineering - the ability to figure out where to get the answers and pull them together.
2. Legal - Same - BUT, in this case you are competing against other "engineers" and must build a strong enough "case" to convince large numbers of people (juries, judges, other experts, the other lawyers) of the validity of your facts and/or opinion.

It's like asking which is harder....running your household (single) or operating a successful condo board with a multi-million dollar budget. The later is harder.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 PM

691 posts, read 419,387 times
dull normal - below average- any name you can make up will be offensive to any individual if it means below average.

its upsetting that you found this out but keep in mind that its an estimate of how fast you learn (not that you cant learn or are other wise 'stupid' ) which may not be accurate.

So focus on putting effort in to what you are learning and ignore other people's judgments. if you have to repeat something more then someone else it doesnt make them better than you.

a good nature is much more valuable than another ill-minded smarty pants

keep your chin up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology