Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I have noticed that this happens a lot on C-D. There will be a thread on a seemingly neutral or politically unaffected subject and then all of sudden there are a number of posters who will make a political comment.

Usually the comments are from obvious conservatives are about liberals, SJW's, Obama etc...

In real life it seems to come from both liberals and conservatives

I didn't post this in the P&OC threads because I want to know what's the mindset these folks and their obsession political arena. Do they drag their political grievances everywhere with them in real life as well?

Would anyone enjoy having a conversation with someone who turns everything into a political tirade?
I've seen the opposite. The Progressives take offense at every perceived microaggression. There is genuine strife in the country. Deep strife. I'm not at all surprised that strife comes up on CD, especially when there is anonymity. Americans are tired of the Progressive agenda and they can express themselves on this website without being physically assaulted. Being called racist, homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, deplorable, gun-clingers, religious nuts or other names for having a different opinion from the Left is de rigueur.

We expressed ourselves in November 2016. The privacy of the voting booth was the expression of frustration.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-31-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I've seen the opposite. The Progressives take offense at every perceived microaggression. There is genuine strife in the country. Deep strife. I'm not at all surprised that strife comes up on CD, especially when there is anonymity. Americans are tired of the Progressive agenda and they can express themselves on this website without being physically assaulted. Being called racist, homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, deplorable, gun-clingers, religious nuts or other names for having a different opinion from the Left is de rigueur.

We expressed ourselves in November 2016. The privacy of the voting booth was the expression of frustration.
Believe me I've seen from both sides and not just the left. The problem here is that not everything is political. I've noticed on CD that some conservative posters hi jack threads to tallk about the left when the thread is not about politics.

Also the "so-called" progressive agenda hasn't been defeated. No more than conservatism wasn't defeated when Obama was elected.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 PM

387 posts, read 515,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

If I see someone turn a discussion that doesn't involve politics sideways with a political rant I just move on.We all know the country is divided but there is middle ground. Most people know that compromise on certain issues is the only way.I blame the flame throwers on cable tv for trying to brainwash the gullible or slanted thinkers farther left or right. The Media has really blown their credibility by using unnamed sources that never pan out. It's hard to argue the economy, stock market, deregulation and possible tax reform aren't positive signs for the US. I tell my wife when the media starts hyping the crisis of the week turn off the news, watch a movie, turn on Sirius XM 60's OR 70's, just tune out the noise. I do the same on city-data if a thread goes off topic.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:20 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
This thread has turned into a "political discussion".

Old 07-31-2017, 11:40 PM

510 posts, read 371,062 times
I think what much of it may be is people have causes. They pick 1 or 2 issues they will work on to try to improve the world. If they feel another's opinion looks like it might derail their plans to improve the world in 1 or 2 areas they study, they feel they can't remain quiet when someone makes a statement that they know to be wrong. Often, a Democrat or Republican may be a 1 or 2 issue voter, but agree on everything else. It looks like war, though, when one disagrees with a top issue.

As for myself, I don't prefer either big party due to bribery. I won't address specific issues here, as I know that belongs elsewhere, like Politics and Other Controversies. This is not a tirade as I go 8-10 paragraphs on those-it gets me 300 approvals out of 2 million people. Best wishes.

Quote:
I have noticed that this happens a lot on C-D. There will be a thread on a seemingly neutral or politically unaffected subject and then all of sudden there are a number of posters who will make a political comment.

Usually the comments are from obvious conservatives are about liberals, SJW's, Obama etc...

I didn't post this in the P&OC threads because I want to know what's the mindset these folks and their obsession political arena. Do they drag their political grievances everywhere with them in real life as well?

Would anyone enjoy having a conversation with someone who turns everything into a political tirade?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:

The internet gives people a way to voice those opinions which they are unable to do so as freely or as frequently, in their real life.

I'm on many different forums. Some of them have a political section, and I tend to avoid them now, as nothing good ever comes of it. There's always people who can't leave political commentary (and the bad blood that arises from arguing about it) in that section of a forum and they spread it to the rest of the forum whenever they can.

Political parties have become demonstrably broken, dysfunctional institutions. Somewhere along the way, the "party line" developed, meaning that if you want to be a member of a political party, you have to back certain ideologies. Sometimes, those ideologies have nothing to do with the actual thoughts of the member base... they only exist because they have to be diametrically opposed to whatever the OTHER party line is.

Take gun control, for example. A recent example of how broken our two party system is, is the recent rollback of Obama era restrictions for gun control. Obama instituted a policy that the mentally ill could not buy firearms legally. The way he went about it was very smart, he utilized the Department of Health and Human Services and the Social Security office. The HHS knows everyone who is on disability and for what reason. Mental health is included, and so, if you were receiving benefits for disability due to mental health issues, you could no longer buy a gun.

Now, how many Republicans, one on one, do you think are actually going to sit there and tell you to your face that they think mentally ill people should be allowed to buy a gun? None of them, because it's extremely stupid. Yet they overturned Obama's rule just because that's what their party line demanded... whether it makes any sense or not.

So I find that people who are obviously "all-in" on one side of the political spectrum, are bound to suffer from a lack of logic and cognitive thought. They have to, to support the party line, because the party line doesn't always make sense. They are no longer free thinkers and they just regurgitate the latest crap they've heard from their favorite pundit. The rest of us unfortunately get to read about it whenever and wherever they post.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
This thread has turned into a "political discussion".
It started as a political discussion, wrong forum.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
In the first few posts I see that this thread has turned into a political discussion and guess what both sides are causing it!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Believe me I've seen from both sides and not just the left. The problem here is that not everything is political. I've noticed on CD that some conservative posters hi jack threads to tallk about the left when the thread is not about politics.

Also the "so-called" progressive agenda hasn't been defeated. No more than conservatism wasn't defeated when Obama was elected.

Well you obviously have a leftist perspective, and that's fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. My take is that often the subjects not posted in the political section do have a political side, in which politics can have a bearing, therefore the political discussion comes in to play. I don't think it is a right, nor left issue. It is a people/politics issue.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I dunno, I think this conversation makes sense from a Psychology standpoint. People do this thing. Why?

Again, I just think people bang whatever drum means something to them. Sometimes that is politics, sometimes something else.

Funny story. My kid was in an American Government class, where they talked a lot last school year about elections and politics. The teacher was a MASTER at never letting the kids figure out what his own political affiliations (if any) were. The kids desperately wanted to know what side he was on, and he dodged that like Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix movies. It became this whole game, as each successive class of students tried to pry his personal politics out of him, and he refused to give it up. This was probably pretty brilliant of him, from a "keeping your job" standpoint. I found it pretty impressive. I remember teachers when I was in high school who couldn't keep their personal politics out of the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology