Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:34 AM

121 posts, read 75,605 times

Advertisements

Saw this on another forum so thought I would start it here , what rules do you live your life by

I will start
Making sure on weekends to get to the shop and get the papers before having breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:32 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Always making sure the coffee maker timer is set and on before bedtime. If I forget and remember in the middle of the night, I can't fall back asleep.

My wife's car is always parked in the garage, closest to the door entrance to the house. Mine on the farthest side. No matter what, it ALWAYS has to be that way. Even when parked the opposite, they HAVE to be in their assigned spots before we go to bed.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 08-01-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I have methodical little systems for doing many things. Practically every item I own has a place it belongs, and I do what I can to keep it there. When I do the dishes, the silverware has to be sorted properly in the little silverware basket. Butter knives, large spoons small spoons, and then steak knives, large forks, small forks in the other row of 3 sections. Dinner plates lined up on one side of the silverware, small plates on the other side.

When I get ready in the morning, I do the exact same set of steps in the exact same order every day. This allows me to "auto pilot" my way through my routine without forgetting anything.

Every penny in or out of my financial life is logged in a spreadsheet, categorized, and summarized into reports. I do this almost every day while I'm drinking my coffee. I could tell you how much I spent on gasoline or groceries in any given month, going all the way back to 2008 when I started this system.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:02 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Spreadsheet etc, I haven't balanced checkbook in years. It will all come out in the wash at the end. As long as the online account is good, I'm good. And probably wrote a couple grocery lists in my life...so many have "to do lists"...I keep my brain working good.

Sounds like a lot of OCD going on in some.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Because some people have routines to make their lives easier that means they have obsessive-compulsive disorder?

I dated a guy who always had to leave a room stepping in the same places he stepped when he came in. That might be OCD. Another man I knew was critically injured in Hawaii. He forgot to look both ways before turning onto the highway and was t-boned by a tour bus. He had OCD as a result of the trauma. Oddly enough, it made him suited for certain kinds of precise work because he was obsessed with getting it right.

I have the same breakfast every morning with few variations. It's just easier and saves time, not to mention lots of decision-making.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Spreadsheet etc, I haven't balanced checkbook in years. It will all come out in the wash at the end. As long as the online account is good, I'm good. And probably wrote a couple grocery lists in my life...so many have "to do lists"...I keep my brain working good.

That pretty much ended when real-time bank information became available on your phone instantly.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:07 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Nope, I keep a tab in my spreadsheet as an account ledger. I have caught double-charges and bank errors before. I want my own copy of my stuff, which I check against my online account daily and mark the date it posted. Knowing how many days it takes for something to post is helpful, I know when exactly I can expect something to come out of my account. Tracking and reporting on my expense categories helps me to budget so I know how much I really need based on what I really spend.

This is something that financial advisers tell people to do; there is certainly nothing wrong with it. And I am not OCD, I'm an accounting nerd. This stuff is fun to me. So is preparing taxes. I enjoy collecting and sorting and organizing data in spreadsheets.

Some people enjoy obsessing over what they (and gods help us, other people) eat. Or the car they drive. Or a sports team. I enjoy obsessing over my financial figures.

Not like it's my only hobby or anything. I also read, write, make art, do jigsaw puzzles (outside edge first, always!) and pester my cat.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:20 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
When you make a mistake admit it and fix it right away. The longer you let it go the bigger it will be when it comes back to bite you.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have methodical little systems for doing many things. Practically every item I own has a place it belongs, and I do what I can to keep it there. When I do the dishes, the silverware has to be sorted properly in the little silverware basket. Butter knives, large spoons small spoons, and then steak knives, large forks, small forks in the other row of 3 sections. Dinner plates lined up on one side of the silverware, small plates on the other side.

When I get ready in the morning, I do the exact same set of steps in the exact same order every day. This allows me to "auto pilot" my way through my routine without forgetting anything.

Every penny in or out of my financial life is logged in a spreadsheet, categorized, and summarized into reports. I do this almost every day while I'm drinking my coffee. I could tell you how much I spent on gasoline or groceries in any given month, going all the way back to 2008 when I started this system.
I have been using Quicken since 1987 or so. Before that, I wrote my expenses in a desk calendar, including if I found change on the ground!

I think I am methodical about many things, but so used to doing them that it's hard to say what they are.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I'd love to know how you got started on this. I should be doing the same thing myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology