Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:00 PM

894 posts, read 583,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I had a neighbor like this......cheapskate! He moved.....

His wife would borrow "vanilla extract" but return a bottle of generic imitation vanilla extract.
Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
My neighbor had a handyman working and came to borrow my caulking gun and Klein 12 in 1 Screw Driver.

Several days went by and I asked for them back... he said he couldn't get hold of the guy and would replace them...

I got a made in china 99 cent caulking gun and screwdriver... for my $8 caulking gun and $15 screwdriver...

People that borrow tools are often clueless when it comes to quality of value... a screwdriver is a screwdriver... right?

I bought Mom a $1200 aluminum deck Honda professional mower... one of her neighbors wanted to use it to chop weeds in the vacant lot... I did you not... go buy or rent a $179 mower at sears.

Had to explain why I put my foot down to her new neighbors... they understood.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,596,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I had a neighbor like this......cheapskate! He moved.....

His wife would borrow "vanilla extract" but return a bottle of generic imitation vanilla extract. He believed BBQ grills cause cancer but that wouldn't stop his wife from borrowing our grill for a cookout.

Nice guy but way too borrow this, borrow that. Worst was asking to borrow a tool he had no idea how to use....meaning he wanted me to use it on his job. I have other neighbors I would assist in major jobs without an issue, yet this guy was too busy to help anyone with anything.
Never mind the cup of sugar--hide your genuine 100% Vermont maple syrup! Unless you want the awful imitation glop as repayment!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 AM

23,445 posts, read 13,678,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
......Some people are afraid of engaging with neighbors. My Uncle is this way. During Sandy storm they loaned someone candles and then she re-payed with a bottle of wine and my Uncle didn't want that sort of thing going on forever. Told my Aunt to leave it at the wine.....

Hmmmmm, that brings up an interesting side point in care packages.

When a friend was out of commission due to surgery, I took her a pitcher of beef stew. I bake pan cookies, cut them up into squares, to give to friends, for sales. My way of helping friends out, repaying them is with things from my kitchen.

Are care packages another side to this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
.........Because, 9 times out of 10, it will start with a cup of sugar, then they'll want to borrow something else they saw while they were getting the sugar, then they'll need a ride somewhere, or they'll ask if you have AAA and they could use it to get gas because they ran out of gas (and don't have their own AAA membership, of course), just on and on..........
That is when it helps to form your tastes that no one else wants them. Like having your food in a common pantry such as lentils, split peas, sardines and spices; I am pretty sure my stuff wouldn't be touched.

I mean, are people really going to ask to borrow some milk when you only use powdered?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-07-2017 at 02:08 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 04:39 AM

16,089 posts, read 10,249,596 times
I have always laughed at the term "borrow" when referring to a cup of sugar or 2 eggs. These are items worth pennies and in my case they are never actually replaced and that has always been fine. We don't play that game with our neighbor, it's "hey do you have any nutmeg?". "You do? I need a teaspoon, be right down". It works for both of us because it's not abused by either party.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:50 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,282,287 times
I love having friendly neighbors and ones that you feel you can rely on in a pinch. I live rurally and don't have any "close" neighbors but I know a lot of good people in the area. No we cannot swap sugar as we are not within walking distance. We do help each other out with repairing/fixing things if needed. We also give each other vegetables from our gardens.

When I was in FL in a neighborhood I lived on one street that was great. I actually did borrow something for baking from my next door neighbor once. She had her electric out while her electricians were working and we let her use our generator for awhile. Many of the people on that block were great.

Of course there are always some people you learn to not do extra for. But overall...yeah I wish there were more people you could count on for a cup of sugar

Oh and I feel the same about tools and things with engines. I would rather be there than lend those out.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,606,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Wow. I hope your daughter apologized!
Ha nope she did not. We never let her borrow the new replacement!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 AM

6,277 posts, read 4,141,360 times
I have done it and my neighbours have done it but it's very rare. I have a great neighbour at the back and we do the old fashioned drinking a cuppa while chatting over the fence every few months just to do catch up. I doubt this will happen when we move to Arizona. On the other hand my mother had a pesky neighbour who wasn't friendly always ask to borrow garden equipement or the hoover and had the rep of not returning stuff ( I am guessing he just sold the stuff he borrowed). So I guess it really depends on where you live and the people.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:08 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,511,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I have done it and my neighbours have done it but it's very rare. I have a great neighbour at the back and we do the old fashioned drinking a cuppa while chatting over the fence every few months just to do catch up. I doubt this will happen when we move to Arizona. On the other hand my mother had a pesky neighbour who wasn't friendly always ask to borrow garden equipement or the hoover and had the rep of not returning stuff ( I am guessing he just sold the stuff he borrowed). So I guess it really depends on where you live and the people.
You might be pleasantly surprised about Arizona. I chat a lot more with my Arizona neighbors than I do with my Alaska neighbors. I winter in a very nice neighborhood down there.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,227,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Of the guy that borrow you Shihl Chain Saw and Brush Trimmer and uses 30 weight motor oil for the two stroke mix when you only use Stihl premium full synthetic... or worse uses straight gasoline... happened to a friend... powerhead was toast.
And we all know Stihl is a bottomof the barrel cheap brand right.im sure the guy made good and replaced the broken unit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology