Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:35 AM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post
I know it's NOT that serious, I'm 36 (and to be fair the cashier was carding under 40) but, there's a little part of it that irks me a tad bit. I like to think of myself as a mature, grown @ss woman, but I do have a bit of a babyface.
If it annoys you as much as you let on, you should stop purchasing liquor. End of annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 AM

477 posts, read 314,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
My 60 year old dad got carded and I get carded when i buy O'Douls lol.
Wow, he must be really good looking for his age.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:27 AM

477 posts, read 314,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Yes. It reminds me of the police state. It should be like in Germany where you are Introduced to it young and it's not so taboo.
Yeah, I hear they let 12 year olds drink over there. Totally different world

Old 08-05-2017, 11:44 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
In the first place, it is unreasonable to expect any clerk to go guessing ages. It is always reasonable for any clerk to check ID on anyone even if that person looks 105. The law generally requires it and stings exist.

In the second place, any older person that did not develop the maturity and empathy to be understanding about this, should not drink at all. Alcohol is best left to people who don't have mental issues.

In the third, the older you are, the more joyous it can be. I'm 53 with a long salt-and-pepper beard and a balding pate. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I look at her with a big happy smile and ask if she is serious. When she says she is, I smilingly and with a great flourish present it, after thanking her for such a kind compliment. I hope that this will wipe out the sour-mouthed annoyance she will receive that day from several of my co-ageists who somehow managed to get this far in life without growing up.

Then again, I feel that way about anyone who gets this far and now uses age as an excuse to be a jerk to younger people receiving low wages to serve them. For the love of god, show some grace and goodwill and compassion. Just because the cultural trend in this country is toward rectal behavior doesn't mean you have to follow it.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I don't care. It's the law. Our birthdate is entered into many registers. Some stores scan the license. Fine with me. Do it for everyone or do it for no one. Picking and choosing who to ID is what causes problems.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
My sister is nearly 32 and gets carded all the time. She doesn't mind.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
I started drinking in bars at 16, and buying liquor in liquor stores the same age. I am now 85, and to this day I have never been carded.

Now the facts: I reached my full height the summer before I turned 12, and am still the same height of 6'2" tall. By turning 16, my hair line had started receding and I had a very still beard by 13. I never looked my age.

It caused problems, as so many mothers would not let their daughters date me, as they considered me much older even when I was younger than the girl. They told their daughters the only reason we were in the same grade in school, was I had been held back several times, and they could tell how old I really was by looking at me. In fact growing up, I had always been the next to youngest kid in my classes. One girl was a week younger than I was, and looked about 5 years younger than she was.

The results were, I could drink in bars as a teen age kid, buy liquor, and do anything else where proof of age was required and have never been carded to this date.

A fun note. When my brother in law (wife's brother) retired, they came to visit, and we took them out to dinner. Her ordered a drink and the girl got a big grin on her face, and told him she needed to card him. He took out his wallet and flipped it open. One side had his drivers license, and the other half had a Police Detective Lieutenants gold badge. Poor girl got real frightened and he told her, "Don't worry, No police officer would be upset to know the restaurant was enforcing the no drinking under 21, and she had carded him." They had taken a stamp, and it had Retired stamped into it. as his going away gift from the city. She did not see the retired, just that big gold shield.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:32 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
yes but not mad at the cashier- mad at stupid rule that forces them to.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:43 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
No. What irks me is when EVERYBODY is carded, no matter how old. Is the establishment afraid of someone wearing an 80-year-old mask??? What a waste of time.
No, they're trying to avoid having someone like the OP complain because they're in their 30s and carded.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I guess back when they weren't soooo strict on carding, it was a compliment that they actually thought I was kinda close to being 21. But now that they seem to card everyone, even if they are 60, it just seems dumb - and yeah, it's a pain. Come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology