Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:25 PM

268 posts, read 282,648 times

Advertisements

Or early 20s? I hear people talk about their younger years, rather it be highschool or early 20s. I have been shown pictures of people(who are now older) during those years and they seem to hold a lot of value to that time.

But for me, I don't reminisce or even really remember nor hold value to those times. It's not as if I didn't have fun or do a lot of crazy things, it's just as if it's half a blur and I don't really care.

Anyone else get those feelings when thinking back to those times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:49 AM

146 posts, read 174,819 times
I would go a step far and say, My lack of concern for my ****ty classmates, mostly abusive secondary school teachers along with uncaring parents has made me not 'remember' anything.

It's not even a conscious attempt to forget but what I've realized is that I don't have these defined 'memories' that a lot of adults have when recalling their teen/childhood years.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
The less I remember about ages 12-22 the better. Bullying non-stop, my father dying, non-stop fighting with my mother, no friends, mediocre grades. I would be happy to forget that time altogether.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Some people think their best days are behind them. Some people think the best is yet to come. Some prefer to live in the moment.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:45 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
Or early 20s? I hear people talk about their younger years, rather it be highschool or early 20s. I have been shown pictures of people(who are now older) during those years and they seem to hold a lot of value to that time.

But for me, I don't reminisce or even really remember nor hold value to those times. It's not as if I didn't have fun or do a lot of crazy things, it's just as if it's half a blur and I don't really care.

That is exactly how I feel. Those years were neither awesome nor catastrophic (I'd say they were 'below average' but unremarkable) and they don't occupy a lot of headspace in me.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:40 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post

How old are you?

I personally don't hold a lot of value to high school or college, but my early and mid twenties were probably the defining moment of my life and at this point, my peak.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
My teens were pretty defining, but I struggle to remember a lot of it because I smoked a ton of pot back then. I stopped entirely when I got pregnant with my first kiddo at 19, and have been almost 100% sober since then. I have on rare occasion tried to revisit it, but the results have not been great, so I'm like "meh. Don't need it." But yeah, I don't remember the names of any of my teachers, except for one who made us do the Time Warp every day to start our Speech & Drama class. She was silly. She figured if we all did something ridiculous, we would feel less nervous in front of other people (less stage fright.) Ms. Martin. Otherwise, I remember none of my teachers from any point of school. It's a blur.

I do remember the music, the TV shows (in the mid-90's when MTV and Cartoon Network had awesome late night adult animation like The Maxx, and Space Ghost C2C)...I remember my friends and my lovers. I picked up many bits of expression that would stay with me for life (at least so far, for life, I'm only 38.)

But at the same time, I don't feel like I have peaked. I just keep getting better, learning and growing, having adventures. Life is more awesome all the time. I'm cooler now than I was then...but I think I was pretty cool in some ways, then, too.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:18 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
A few decades later I realized that my junior high years - 12 to 14 years - were my most miserable years, and they shaped my attitude for good. It's when I developed a basic dislike for people, I became less sociable, and it never changed. But in my teens I realized what I did NOT want ~ getting pregnant or marriage too young ~ and I adhered to that, too. Still, I made other mistakes, and more wisdom and lessons learned came with each year and experience. I'm 65 now and while I often think I've seen it all, once in a while I experience something new.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:43 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
Funny that you mention that, I do.
I've never attempted to contact any friends from that period or have wanted to attend any class reunions.
It's a chapter of adolescent, juvenile and immature behavior that I don't want to either be reminded of or to have to relive with the people that participated with or motivated me to do.
I just want to be older and wiser.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
From a developmental standpoint, adolescence is always significant, whether one holds fond or otherwise memorable reminiscences from that time period or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology