Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:25 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times

Advertisements

I'm pondering the whole idea of a "blessing in disguise" and the similar African proverb "every misfortune is a blessing" where the worst things that happen to you end up taking you to the right things etc etc.Has anyone experienced this sort of thing where something terrible has happened but set you on a path for much better things? So much that you were glad for the misfortune?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 03:11 PM

132 posts, read 107,443 times
My two examples:

I once left a job because of pride (boss was an unfair, dishonest b***h) without having another job lined up. I was glad I had, but it was scary. I soon found another job working for a better owner with very flexible hours which was important to me because I was a divorced mom.

My apartment building was sold and the new owners threw half the tenants out so they could renovate those apartments, then move remaining tenants into renovated apartments, renovate remaining apartments and find new tenants. And of course probably double the rent, which had been reasonable. I always paid my rent early and caused no trouble. It was me and my five year old child. They didn't care. I looked in the newspaper, found a duplex in the same school district (son was registered to begin kindergarten) in a nice neighborhood less then a mile away. I called on a Saturday, just happened to find the owner in his office after hours. Went to see it within an hour and got it! It was nice being in a neighborhood instead of an apartment complex. We liked the neighbors downstairs. My son got a yard, with a big tree and a swing. And the rent was less!

All's well that ends well.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I certainly have. I wasn't allow to take early retirement/buyout. I was SO ANGRY, as several others of my job grade and class were offered it.

So, I decided to put in for other jobs in my hometown. I was selected, fully paid move, closing costs of home, etc, Pay was less but so far it has averaged out.

I've worked an additional two years and will retire at 62 with basically a 10% bonus for hanging in until 62.

The $25k I would have received and being retired was easily trumped by the $25k move reimbursements and the additional income I will receive for life.

So, the moronic boss that wouldn't all ME to take a buyout turned out ok. I'm making out like a bandit.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Probably when my one and only husband left me for another sweetie. Devastated at the time but in retrospect, probably a valuable life lesson and BLESSING. I grew more than I ever could have being married and to him FOR SURE.

SO MANY get married way way way too young.

What about you Katie?

Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 PM

378 posts, read 229,981 times
A friend of mine died of a heroin overdose a little over 5 years ago. It devastated me, yet their death forced me to reevaluate where my life was heading and make a genuine effort to better myself. I wouldn't go as far as to say their passing was a blessing, but I don't think I'd be striving for a better tomorrow if it hadn't left such an impact on me.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:00 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
That's good that you got out of marriage that didn't serve you and found yourself instead.I feel the same about my first boyfriend he wanted to get married at I think 20,and there's just no way I'd be who I am if I stayed in that little suburb with him.

For me my blessing in disguise,I went into hospital for three months and fell in love with my nurse.I think I was always going to end up in hospital with that nurse,kind of like that film sliding doors.

Reminds me of that Boston bombing marathon survivor who fell in love with his nurse,if he hadnt been in that tragedy he wouldn't have met his wife.,http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/27/boston-victim-marries-nurse_n_5718501.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Probably when my one and only husband left me for another sweetie. Devastated at the time but in retrospect, probably a valuable life lesson and BLESSING. I grew more than I ever could have being married and to him FOR SURE.

SO MANY get married way way way too young.

What about you Katie?

Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I think anytime we live through a bad thing in our lives it's a chance to change or make improvements. Many times it turns out to be a better decision. I've had many of those in my life.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 AM

146 posts, read 174,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I think anytime we live through a bad thing in our lives it's a chance to change or make improvements. Many times it turns out to be a better decision. I've had many of those in my life.
What I don't like though is how often this becomes delusional optimism with so many people. Not everything in life "that doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

I guy I knew that was relatively normal degenerated during his late teen years and proceeded to became a serial rapist, violent guy because of what he claimed was childhood trauma from his strict school, uncaring parents and many health problems. Now granted, not everyone who goes through this follows a similar path but it is a bit insulting to assume everything bad makes us tougher.

Not taking a pick at you just my 0.02 cents

Old 08-06-2017, 06:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
What I don't like though is how often this becomes delusional optimism with so many people. Not everything in life "that doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

I guy I knew that was relatively normal degenerated during his late teen years and proceeded to became a serial rapist, violent guy because of what he claimed was childhood trauma from his strict school, uncaring parents and many health problems. Now granted, not everyone who goes through this follows a similar path but it is a bit insulting to assume everything bad makes us tougher.

Not taking a pick at you just my 0.02 cents

Agreed but as I said it's a "chance" to make improvements. Not everyone makes good choices and yes some experiences can break people.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I took a job I thought would be a really good fit for me. It was only an illusion. I worked there only a month, discovered it was extraordinarily strange with an insurmountable workload, and decided I had to quit even if I had no new job to go to. Then a small miracle happened before I jumped ship.

I received a callback from another place that offered me a job right before I started the terrible one. They still really wanted me; would I consider working for them? Hell yes! Although I took a pay cut, it's a much easier, better, and more functional workplace. It took working at the horrible job for me to appreciate the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology