Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

Have you experienced a person close to you who refuses to ever say 'I'm sorry' or refuses to apologize? Or rarely does so?

It's an interesting psychological phenomena, but can also be quite harmful to a relationship. Part of the refusal is because the person does not ever want to admit that he or she was wrong.

And also the person feels that he/she would lose power in the relationship by apologizing. And lose the upper hand for those who value almost always having the upper hand position.

There can also be narcissism involved in not apologizing for some people.

(I wasn't sure whether this topic would be best in Non-Romantic Relationships Forum or in this Forum, since refusing to say 'I'm sorry' can happen in both.)

Last edited by matisse12; 08-08-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Fortunately, in past relationships, I have not.

I Know, too many people (outside of a relationship) who have an extremely hard time apologizing.

One thing I absolutely hate.... is to be wrong, Lol, but Ill be the first to admit it.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:17 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Have you experienced a person close to you who refuses to ever say 'I'm sorry' or refuses to apologize? Or rarely does so?

It's an interesting psychological phenomena, but can also be quite harmful to a relationship. Part of the refusal is because the person does not ever want to admit that he or she was wrong.

And also the person feels that he/she would lose power in the relationship by apologizing. And lose the upper hand for those who value almost always having the upper hand position.

(I wasn't sure whether this topic would be best in Non-Romantic Relationships Forum or in this Forum, since refusing to say 'I'm sorry' can happen in both.)
Nice Matisse, you have described it perfectly. My mother and sister are like this, they will never admit they were wrong and will only apologize for things that don't matter. I think it is rooted in keeping their upper hand. Plus they probably know they wouldn't win many knowledge-based arguments. Just being the two matriarchs of the family is enough, they enjoy that power without accountability.

And sometimes they wonder why I don't call and visit more.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:21 AM

708 posts, read 577,804 times
I think I am guilty of apologizing too much. For some reason, I feel it launches the conversation. In my past relationship with the ex, I would apologize for my part in an argument, just hoping that he would step up an admit some wrong as well. My aunt pointed out one day, that I didnt need to apologize all the time, that I said it too much .... Habit: "I'm sorry, but I feel that is too expensive..."Sorry, I meant to put ice in your glass"...and on and on. She was right...I was being way too apologetic for stuff that really doesn't matter. To be honest, I notice this now with alot of women my age (60's). Wonder what that's about!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post

I think I am guilty of apologizing too much. For some reason, I feel it launches the conversation. In my past relationship with the ex, I would apologize for my part in an argument, just hoping that he would step up an admit some wrong as well. My aunt pointed out one day, that I didnt need to apologize all the time, that I said it too much .... Habit: "I'm sorry, but I feel that is too expensive..."Sorry, I meant to put ice in your glass"...and on and on. She was right...I was being way too apologetic for stuff that really doesn't matter. To be honest, I notice this now with alot of women my age (60's). Wonder what that's about!
I would say in women in their 60's who apologize for things that do not matter in the examples you give, it has to do with being acquiescent, subservient, obliging, compliant, and taking an inferior position.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-08-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 11:20 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:

That is pretty sucky.

Another corner of this bad behavior matrix is the person who expects me to apologize for every little thing they don't like about me. Even things I cannot help (e.g. genetic characteristics, my family, the circumstances of my upbringing, my parents' planning / ability give or not give an eventual inheritance, etc).

Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

That is pretty sucky.

Another corner of this bad behavior matrix is the person who expects me to apologize for every little thing they don't like about me. Even things I cannot help (e.g. genetic characteristics, my family, the circumstances of my upbringing, my parents' planning / ability give or not give an eventual inheritance, etc).
I know you have an unhappy marriage, as you've mentioned it previously You're describing above a dynamic that is taking place in your unhappy marriage. (I don't think I have you mixed up with someone else) I'm curious about what genetic characteristics you are referring to.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-08-2017 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 12:37 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
I know (dated) a few people, but they never do this as a harmful or purpofully to exploit people or cover their own lack of emotional maturity.

They are more of "what happened happened" types. the future and what came next was far more important to them than whatever just happened in the past.

Unless something was purposefully done with the intent to harm or cause conflict, they see no reason to apologize for the machinations of every single thing that may cause another some disruption.

That's just life flowing from one moment to the next.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:38 PM

926 posts, read 673,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Fortunately, in past relationships, I have not.

I Know, too many people (outside of a relationship) who have an extremely hard time apologizing.

One thing I absolutely hate.... is to be wrong, Lol, but Ill be the first to admit it.
Yeah, I'm also one of those people that don't like being wrong about something lol...but, I'm totally at ease with admitting it to someone if I was, indeed, in the wrong.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
I know you have an unhappy marriage, as you've mentioned it previously You're describing above a dynamic that is taking place in your unhappy marriage. (I don't think I have you mixed up with someone else) I'm curious about what genetic characteristics you are referring to.
Neurological characteristics. For example, not the best eye hand coordination in certain specific cases. For example, I cannot maintain eye contact with someone while I am handling food. I can either be neat about handling food / eating, with minimal eye contact (because me eyes are on my hands / utensils / plate / bowl / etc), or, I can do eye contact and either stop the food / eating process (or if not, spill bits of food onto the table).

Now, ask me to hit a baseball, or do home repairs, or dribble a soccer ball (eye foot coordination in that case) ... no problema.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology