Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times

Advertisements

People can think they are just being nice, and I can think that they are being intrusive and picky. Both sides make sense.

If I have something amiss, I don't mind someone telling me about it. In fact, I'll usually appreciate it and thank them with a smile. But don't touch me without asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
[quote=Coloradomom22;49208111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

But that's the thing, what is in your thinking that you feel it's ok to notice something very trivial that does not belong and fix it? Oh, i don't have a social disorder as I have always brushed this off but it just made me curious as to people's internal motivation for why they do this, why they think it's ok to "help" someone they don't know because I have never done this to anyone. This after all is posted on the psychology board, lol.
Again, there is no "motivation" it's more an automatic reaction, a split second "oh there's a piece of fuzz on your sweater" and taking it off. There is no thought process or scanning process or anything else at all.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Can I flip this? Why do YOU think it's fine to be putting your hands on people you don't know? You don't know these people, their appearance is not a reflection on your training or raising of them, you didn't give birth to them, you're not sending them out to the world. They're strangers to you, so why do you feel like it's ok to put your hands on them?

Several people here (including me) have said they are bothered when strangers come up to them and do these things. They're wrong and you're right? You have the right to pick lint off of me because your intentions are benign? Do you feel comfortable touching children you don't know?

"Come here little girl, and let me pull your socks up, wipe your face, etc?
Again for the third time, I am NOT defending my right to pluck fuzz from you, I already acknowledged it may be crossing a boundary for some. What I AM arguing is that there's no deep psychological meaning behind it, it's not a judgement that you're "unclean" or making myself superior to you, or the other silliness being espoused here.

I have also asked multiple times why some here think women only do this to other women, that's absurd. To actually claim it as an act of aggression is ludicrous.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I don't think it's just a woman thing, but I DO think it's an intimidation move, whoever does it.
I'm not buying into that it necessarily means (from the other person) that I'm unclean, but I do believe it takes a lot of chutzpa to just assume you (in the general sense) have the power and authority over my body to not respect my boundaries. And then I have to assume if you think you have the power and authority over my body, then you do indeed feel superior to me, or you're trying to assert some kind of superiority over me.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's just a woman thing, but I DO think it's an intimidation move, whoever does it.
I'm not buying into that it necessarily means (from the other person) that I'm unclean, but I do believe it takes a lot of chutzpa to just assume you (in the general sense) have the power and authority over my body to not respect my boundaries. And then I have to assume if you think you have the power and authority over my body, then you do indeed feel superior to me, or you're trying to assert some kind of superiority over me.
Oh my goodness. It's fine, you're right, it's all just a masquerade and an evil plot to game n power over other women. I give, you guys have fun if you're able to.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
While I wouldn't presume to tuck a a casual acquaintance's tag in, and don't necessarily identify with people who apparently feel comfortable with that level of familiarity with someone they don't know all that well, I think you may be assigning negative motives where none exist.

I don't think there is hidden "Gee, you're a slob" judgment inherent, I don't think it's a hostile challenge, or an insecure response to your statuesque build or anot envious response due to your having a a better, nicer, bigger house. I don't think it is a microaggression. Frankly, those are odd things to jump to.

Clearly, though, you started this thread already pretty invested in the idea that it is an aggressive move done by people who seek to intimidate you, because they are (jealous of, intimidated by, etc.) you, and aren't interested in any feedback except what reinforces your already arrived upon theories.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 08-16-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh my goodness. It's fine, you're right, it's all just a masquerade and an evil plot to game n power over other women. I give, you guys have fun if you're able to.

Thanks for your permission oc.

I'm beginning to see how the concept is difficult for you to grasp. LOL

Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
It strikes me as weird, OP. I'd wonder about it, because it IS just a piece of lint. You weren't going on camera on live TV, after all.

I've had people brush bugs off me without asking, and that's appreciated. Lint, tags, nope. A friend can point those things out, but not a casual acquaintance.

I have struggled with guy's zippers down. Never know what to do, so I usually do nothing.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your permission oc.

I'm beginning to see how the concept is difficult for you to grasp. LOL
Tabula Rasa said it much better than I could, above. I'm going to let hers be the last word.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It strikes me as weird, OP. I'd wonder about it, because it IS just a piece of lint. You weren't going on camera on live TV, after all.

I've had people brush bugs off me without asking, and that's appreciated. Lint, tags, nope. A friend can point those things out, but not a casual acquaintance.

I have struggled with guy's zippers down. Never know what to do, so I usually do nothing.
I still use "XYZ". lol. I don't know if kids still use this "cue" but most people I say it to seem to know what it means right away.

(In case this is something youngsters don't know, XYZ stands for "Examine your zipper")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology