Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 02:52 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And many have left between 6-10am. But you're going to not show those as available and make incoming guests wait until 3pm so you have a big line at 3pm, right?
I already explained this to you. Guests may leave between 6 and 10 a.m. but that is not most guests and housekeeping does not start until 9 am. Once a room is checked out it automatically becomes listed as vacant dirty. I already explained to you that we don't make guests wait until 3 to check in. No matter what time guests come in, if a room is available and cleaned we check them in. If the rooms are vacant dirty we will still assign them to incoming guests, check them in and put them into pending status so housekeeping will put a rush on the rooms. If an arriving guest is already assigned a room and that room is occupied, we let them know the room is currently occupied but we still check them in. We send guests a text to let them know the room is ready. No matter what time a guests checks in, if their room is not ready, we send them a text message when it is so they can come pick up their keys.

We don't make anyone who arrives early wait until 3 p.m. we still check them in no matter what time they show up. In fact, we let them know that if they are arriving early it is best for them to go ahead and check in because if housekeeping can see that the room is checked in and a guest is a waiting for it, the rooms can get ready faster. When we have guests waiting on rooms to get cleaned, we monitor them throughout the day and assign them rooms as soon as the rooms are flipped clean. What are you not getting?

The fact that you even think that hotels make people wait until 3 p.m. to check in shows that you have no idea what you are talking about and you know nothing about the hotel business.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-21-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
Not to zing on you personally, but in those 'golden days' you talk about, there was no Wal-Mart and stores had limited selection and higher prices. That staffing cost money which was reflected in higher prices. If you, or anyone else, shop at Wal-Mart or a dollar store, you are getting what you pay for - super low prices and terrible service. If you want better service, you will have to go to stores that provide it. No one is going to get Tiffany service at Wal-mart prices anymore. Customers are treated like cattle because they want rock-bottom prices and the only way to get that is provide rock bottom service. We don't shop at Wal-Mart or these type of stores because we'd rather pay a bit more and get better service.

What supermarket gives diamond glove service? We don't have a Wegman's here or anything, I have a choice of Shop Rite, Acme, Save a Lot or Walmart. I don't think the service is white glove at any of them. Aside from that, IMO it is cheap Chinese goods that made Walmart cheap. They didn't invent minimum wage nor prevent it from being raised to keep up with inflation. I doubt Two Guys or Jamesway (the stores around back then) paid much more than Walmart does, but I got treated better.

This is not just about any one category though. It seems to cross all businesses. I sat in Wells Fargo bank a couple of years ago, my mother had an account with about $60,000 in it and I was POA and had to meet with a bank person. During the meeting, I had to use the restroom. Do you know what this man said to me? That I couldn't use their bathroom, but there's a pizza place next door. Are you f'ing kidding me???

It's not about Walmart or any other one thing (I agree with you about Walmart in general actually and go to local stores when I can, but with supermarkets again there are limited choices)it's a new view toward customers and customer service that IS recent, and not a good change. Actually the arena IMO it's most evident is health care, where I routinely feel treated like I don't matter and am just one more cog in their assembly line.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I already explained this to you. Guests may leave between 6 and 10 a.m. but that is not most guests and housekeeping does not start until 9 am. Once a room is checked out it automatically becomes listed as vacant dirty. I already explained to you that we don't make guests wait until 3 to check in.

The fact that you even think that hotels make people wait until 3 p.m. to check in shows that you have no idea what you are talking about and you know nothing about the hotel business.
And I already explained to you several times the complaints and comments in this thread are not all about you and your particular hotel. Funny, no matter what anyone suggests, you claim to already having implemented yet. Yet you seem to have more problems with upset customers than i've ever observed.

The fact that you think the customers are always in the wrong and that all problems trace back to customer ignorance shows you have no idea how to treat people and know nothing about people relations.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:26 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times
As someone who has previously worked in hotels, I get what the OP is saying. There are a lot of behind the scenes things that happen at hotels that the general public does not know. Yes from the outside the job looks simple, but if you have never worked at a hotel, you do not know what really goes on.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times
Quote:
And I already explained to you several times the complaints and comments in this thread are not all about you and your particular hotel. Funny, no matter what anyone suggests, you claim to already having implemented yet. Yet you seem to have more problems with upset customers than i've ever observed.

The fact that you think the customers are always in the wrong and that all problems trace back to customer ignorance shows you have no idea how to treat people and know nothing about people relations.
Really? It seems like there is a huge piling on effect going on from certain posters. The OP seems to me to have been nothing but patient and kind in explaining how it works at HER hotel. I have not seen her indicate in any way that she thinks customers are always in the wrong. Unfortunately, entitled customers do exist and feel they are entirely more important than anyone else in the line. To me, the attacking comments aimed at the OP show me that those posters have no idea how to treat people and know nothing about people (I am guessing you mean customer) relations. A little kindness goes a long ways when you aren't piling on someone. Seriously.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
As someone who has previously worked in hotels, I get what the OP is saying. There are a lot of behind the scenes things that happen at hotels that the general public does not know. Yes from the outside the job looks simple, but if you have never worked at a hotel, you do not know what really goes on.
The point many of us made was not directed at the employees, but procedures (what ARE they click-clacking for minutes at a time??) and staffing. If a hotel has continuous long lines at check-in to the point people feel this frustrated, the hotel is not staffing it properly. The fact businesses don't care how long they make people wait and want the extra profit rather than enough staff is the issue.

OP seems to believe it is perfectly fine for her hotel to make people who are spending hundreds of dollars stand in a long line, and they should just shut up and be patient about it. Others of us, especially I think people from my era where businesses valued customers, think it's not fine at all, and can understand why people get impatient, which was OP's question to begin with.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Really? It seems like there is a huge piling on effect going on from certain posters. The OP seems to me to have been nothing but patient and kind in explaining how it works at HER hotel. I have not seen her indicate in any way that she thinks customers are always in the wrong. Unfortunately, entitled customers do exist and feel they are entirely more important than anyone else in the line. To me, the attacking comments aimed at the OP show me that those posters have no idea how to treat people and know nothing about people (I am guessing you mean customer) relations. A little kindness goes a long ways when you aren't piling on someone. Seriously.

OP asked why people get like this, and then proceeded to invalidate all our answers to the question, judging none of them as justifiable. If she was being facetious and didn't actually want to know why, well I guess that is different. Apparently she made her judgement before starting the thread and just wanted people who said "yeah, people are a**hats!!"

Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
Quote:
I agree and was thinking the same.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Really? It seems like there is a huge piling on effect going on from certain posters. The OP seems to me to have been nothing but patient and kind in explaining how it works at HER hotel. I have not seen her indicate in any way that she thinks customers are always in the wrong.
Any "piling on" is directed at the hotel industry in general. We don't know her or the name of her hotel. We are relating our experiences with seemingly inefficient checkins on a consistent basis, not just on Valentine's day or Friday afternoon of Labor Day weekend at the beach. You have also not seen her indicate in any way that her hotel policies and processes might be improved. Not once has she allowed that sometimes it's the hotel or clerk that drops the ball. As a previous poster mentioned, she seems to have started the thread to just vent rather than seriously discuss. Every suggestion has been met with the attitude "I know more about this than you, your input is worthless". Whether or not the first part is true, the second part is a poor way of dealing with customers. That speaks to your "kindness".

Old 08-22-2017, 07:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
Quote:
Any "piling on" is directed at the hotel industry in general. We don't know her or the name of her hotel. We are relating our experiences with seemingly inefficient checkins on a consistent basis, not just on Valentine's day or Friday afternoon of Labor Day weekend at the beach. ".
I haven't read the whole thread, but the original post addresses people who think they are somehow entitled to service before others. Not sure how it devolved into piling on the OP for frustrations with the hospitality industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology