Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:41 PM

191 posts, read 267,630 times

Advertisements

Her reaction to the text was "No worries!". Yeah, I am hurt but it's clear I am not important to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I'm so sorry, Jenni. I'm not you, but I wouldn't let this go so quickly. This will hurt you forever if it doesn't get resolved. Besides the mother who needs a babysitter, is there anyone else in the family you're really close to?

If so, I'd send them a text, and start it with "ooh this is really awkward, (and use that emoticon with the gritted teeth. Something light and cute). I know your family is planning a fun birthday party for _______ and I was asked to babysit ______ that night. I would really like to come celebrate - I was kind of confused that I was asked to babysit instead. Anyway, don't want to make waves but just wanted your input."

Last summer we had a family wedding, and my son's wedding invitation was lost in the mail. (It truly was, and it arrived much later). He's an adult living with his girlfriend, and I thought he wasn't invited because of that - they're very strong Christians. But he was. And I'm SO GLAD I emailed the mother of the bride with my concern.

I wish you the best. I just think it's important if your feelings are about to be really hurt, that the other people at least know and have a chance to correct it.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
Her reaction to the text was "No worries!". Yeah, I am hurt but it's clear I am not important to them.
Better not to invest any more emotion into this.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
It probably comes across a bit passive aggressive but I did end up just putting 'No, I can't. 'Probably immature but so is telling me I am like family and not meaning it.
You have a right to feel hurt.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lraien View Post
If they were life long friends and it was a text - I would have replied something like... "well I myself am hoping to be invited to the event of the year so...." and then a little smiley face with a tongue out or something. That pretty much says it but also isn't in their face. How they responded from there would tell you everything you need to know.
This is so juvenile.

The OP was to the point and concise.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
She might be really clueless as to the effect on you. To her it is a molehill, to you maybe a mountain. But you can't control her. Consider it a lesson in what they consider "family," and move on.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:

i would let it go.... some people are natural organizers...and some people are like the squirrel in a road darting back and forth,,,a complete mess..
if much of the pressure to organize this event is on her.... she may be a complete spaz......and self centered.... to get this done....she may have meant no ill will towards you,,,,she is just checking off a check list ..

i think we've all been in your shoes at one time or another and ive had to bite my lip more than once...(because they had helped me in the past, when they didnt have to)

dont let it bother you....

Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 PM

318 posts, read 467,255 times
Quote:
I definitely don't owe them an explanation, no.
Exactly.

Jenni... these people are NOT your friends! They are users... friends when it is convenient for them. Friends when you can DO something to help them... for free.

Cut them loose honey. They suck.

I've had similar things happen and yes it really hurts, because you held them in a high esteem and thought they felt the same. Best to just accept it, cut them out of your life, and move on. No texts, no drop in, just cold cut off. Trust me its the best way to handle.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:16 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm so sorry, Jenni. I'm not you, but I wouldn't let this go so quickly. This will hurt you forever if it doesn't get resolved. Besides the mother who needs a babysitter, is there anyone else in the family you're really close to?

If so, I'd send them a text, and start it with "ooh this is really awkward, (and use that emoticon with the gritted teeth. Something light and cute). I know your family is planning a fun birthday party for _______ and I was asked to babysit ______ that night. I would really like to come celebrate - I was kind of confused that I was asked to babysit instead. Anyway, don't want to make waves but just wanted your input."

Last summer we had a family wedding, and my son's wedding invitation was lost in the mail. (It truly was, and it arrived much later). He's an adult living with his girlfriend, and I thought he wasn't invited because of that - they're very strong Christians. But he was. And I'm SO GLAD I emailed the mother of the bride with my concern.

I wish you the best. I just think it's important if your feelings are about to be really hurt, that the other people at least know and have a chance to correct it.

Personally, I would let it go. Obviously they do not think of her as a good friend that is almost family or she would have been invited to their party. If they wanted her there, they might have asked her if she knew of a good babysitter. To do what you suggest is begging for an invite and they know it, you know it, and their friends know you are only there out of last minute guilt on the host's part or trying to not embarrass you for being pushy. I would cringe to think of being put into the position of making myself or kids get invited.

BTW it is easy to say "must have gotten lost in the mail" and easy to then get one sent once put in a position to have to include someone you had no intention of inviting because you are called upon for an explanation They may not want to offend the third party, questioning them.
Not the way I want anyone in my family to be included.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Have been asked by family friends to babysit for their kid in a few months. One of the parents is turning 50. After being called 'One of the family' for so long, I am a little hurt not to have been invited to the party and don't want to babysit on a Saturday. How do I word it politely in a text?
"I can't babysit because I'm going to the party. Aren't I?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology