Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 05:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For one thing, puppies are *******s. They really and truly are. The only reason we don't kill them is because they are so effing adorable. And they require tons of care.
LOL! I asked many people how their puppies survived into adulthood. Puppy breath is one of them. That's a real thing.

The only one I raised from a baby would be the opposite for depression. She made me want to kill myself some days, since I wasn't going to hurt HER or fail to do what she needed! Tasmanian Devil.

Sometimes I get mad at her furever Mom. I did the hard part! She adopted a pup who was potty trained and basic manners all done with positive reinforcement only, which was sort of hellish.

But mainly I don't remember that part. I remember puppy breath. The day she 'got' that she's supposed to go outside and picked up her leash to tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 06:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Volunteering at a shelter is a great idea. The dogs get depressed. And then are less likely to get adopted. You can take them out for walks or into a play area where they have balls and such.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Volunteering at a shelter is a great idea. The dogs get depressed. And then are less likely to get adopted. You can take them out for walks or into a play area where they have balls and such.
Yeah, maybe I'll do that. I'd really like a dog but hate to say it, don't think I'm ready. : (

Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Yeah, maybe I'll do that. I'd really like a dog but hate to say it, don't think I'm ready. : (
Volunteering at the shelter is a great idea though.. That way you can kind of ease into it, while at the same time sorting your depression out. And I'm even willing to bet that there will be one special dog that will grab your heartstrings when the time is right..

Do please go back to the doctor and try a different medication though. Depression is manageable, and you're not alone.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
During a family members housebound ailment...a support dog was advised.
It was a family blessing. For all the underlying medical hindrances...this pet eased those moments.
And on two occasions alerted us of the family members distress.

True that with any pet comes..training...feeding ..and the vet care. The benefit outweighs it though.
When I lost my family member...it was this pet that was my greatest source of survival. Every tear wept was met with a look of comfort by this loving dog...for he was grieving as well.

Yet depression and sorrow are distant cousins...one can alleviate depression....but sorrow is a life journey after a significant loss...

Old 08-22-2017, 10:17 PM

318 posts, read 467,200 times
Quote:
I've been suffering with long-term mild depression as far as I can remember. I think there's a term for it... dysthymia? When it's under control, I'm motivated, social and active. These last few years have been tough being far away from family and friends. I spent most of last year unmotivated and laying in bed, cooped up in my room. I just couldn't muster any motivation to get out. I don't feel sad or mopey on a daily basis. I seem fine on the outside but struggle with relationships (platonic and romantic). I've been going to therapy, hired a life coach, went to group, and it helped a little in the beginning, but nonetheless I become unmotivated to go. Most days I don't feel like talking to anybody or telling anybody anything. I've been thinking of getting a small dog. A lot of days I feel like I just want physical affection that doesn't require a lot of energy (talking and socializing). I'm trying hard to get out of this rut but I start to feel bad when I socialize and I end up disappearing. If I get a dog I want to make sure I'll continue to love it and not just love it in the beginning and get unmotivated and feel like giving it up. Has anyone had success with getting a dog for their depression?
Bad idea.

A puppy is not "therapy" for your depression. Dogs require work, commitment and motivation. Daily effort. There is no "I don't feel like talking my dog for a walk today." Housebreaking a puppy is ALOT of work, and you have to be committed or he will never be housebroken... and then end up at the pound. See where I'm going here?

I am not a therapist... but from your post, I think you are your own worst enemy. "Becoming unmotivated..." You are doing all of these good things and you have to be committed to follow through. Even when you don't feel like it!

Everyone has struggles and some days "doesn't feel like it". Winners keep powering through and showing up, again and again, even on the bad days. That's when the magic happens and you find you ARE strong enough to power through it. A real self-esteem builder. Keep trying. Get back to your doctors, get some new meds to help you... you can get through it!

Someone mentioned volunteering at an animal shelter - great idea. Just don't come home with a pup!

Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
I've been suffering with long-term mild depression as far as I can remember. I think there's a term for it... dysthymia? When it's under control, I'm motivated, social and active. These last few years have been tough being far away from family and friends. I spent most of last year unmotivated and laying in bed, cooped up in my room. I just couldn't muster any motivation to get out. I don't feel sad or mopey on a daily basis. I seem fine on the outside but struggle with relationships (platonic and romantic). I've been going to therapy, hired a life coach, went to group, and it helped a little in the beginning, but nonetheless I become unmotivated to go. Most days I don't feel like talking to anybody or telling anybody anything. I've been thinking of getting a small dog. A lot of days I feel like I just want physical affection that doesn't require a lot of energy (talking and socializing). I'm trying hard to get out of this rut but I start to feel bad when I socialize and I end up disappearing. If I get a dog I want to make sure I'll continue to love it and not just love it in the beginning and get unmotivated and feel like giving it up. Has anyone had success with getting a dog for their depression?
Yes! Your story is mine. I rescued an older rat terrier who was even house trained already. When I got her, I didn't have a yard or balcony or porch. So, I knew I'd have to get dressed and take my dog out at least a couple times a day. It was the best thing for my depression. I didn't always brush my teeth or my hair or take a shower, but I'd throw on a hat and clothes and shoes and go outside and walk. More than once a day. That alone made such a difference.

And she's such good company. She's next to me in my chair right now. She loves to go for rides in my truck with me.

You'll have to get out of your own head to think about your animal's needs, which also makes you feel good. It feels good to take care of a pet who depends on you and loves you unconditionally.

I love my little dog completely. But, just a thought - as much as I love this breed, she sheds buckets of little stickery hairs that get stuck in everything and are really difficult to remove. So, my life is covered in dog hair, to the point of being embarrassing. I just got my truck smogged and the technicians gave me a hard time about the dog hair, and I'd actually tried to clean it up more than once. But, climbing around trying to get dog hairs out of carpet in the little nooks and crannies around the seats in my truck is just also not realistic for my physically, and I can't afford to pay someone to detail my truck.

Moral to that story is to look at breeds that don't shed much. I was talking about this to my counselor last week and she said her poodle doesn't shed at all. I chose not to go with a poodle thinking I didn't want to deal with grooming. But, if I had to do it again, I'd look for a non-shedder.

But, she has been my best therapy. I couldn't have a dog until I quit the manager job I had and moved into senior housing and I literally rescued her the day after I moved. I knew a dog would really help my depression and she has.

I have a letter from doctor for an emotional support animal, and since your depression is severe enough to be a disability, you could get one, too. Then, even places that don't allow pets will allow your dog. Where I live now they have a no pets policy, but there are quite a few of us with pets here.

Best wishes to you. Been there.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
NO it's a terrible idea.

Don't rely on animals to change your brain, you have to do that yourself.
This. Animals were not created to be mental/emotional crutches for humans.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:39 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,135 times
My son suffers from severe depression, when he is in the "pit" of depression he can barely shower and eat, so taking care of a dog during these times would be impossible.

I agree with volunteering at a shelter but would not commit to the care of a dog.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:42 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Sorry about your son but I don't have severe depression.

Just signed up to be a dog walker at my local shelter. Backup is animal photographer. Hope they contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology