Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:19 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times

Advertisements

Hangin with the wife too much eh?

<kidding>

If I was at that point, I might try shrooms. I know it sounds facetious, but it's been described as seeing everything in a whole new light while being really happy at the same time. The key is to try it ONCE.

That said, others have posted better suggestions that I'd say would be worthy of trying first...but if you're down to the Hail Mary play...maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Good God who cares if someone likes you?

Like yourself, to heck with others.

Not everyone can be the popular girl or cool kid.
Agree. Stop obsessing over whether other people like you.

My life goes on, with or without someone else's validation.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:45 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Eat some worms. That'll take your mind off it.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:55 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
To those who said to stop worrying about what other people think...this is not actually about that.

I think most people, especially those who have any experience with depression, have some sort of internal monologue that, once it gets going, just focuses on some negative and self-destructive thought pattern, until it beats you down and makes you miserable. When this has gotten out of control for me, I have had episodes where I was "down the well" which is lying in bed, sleeping too much or crying, not wanting to get up, or else smoking too many cigs and not eating, basically self-destructive depressive behaviors. If it gets that far, then it is very hard to climb out, and the part that sucks is that you want someone to come and rescue you, but aren't able to reach out to anyone. It's a pretty miserable state. I call the voice of depression, "gremlins." I joke that the gremlins are trying to bite, but I'm fending them off with my magical fondue fork.

I do my best to purposefully and mindfully avoid this state. These are my tricks:

1. Self care. Make sure you eat, sleep, and exercise enough (but not excessively!)
2. Good, uplifting music. It really can help.
3. Balancing social time vs. alone time. I am mostly an extrovert, and going out and spending time with my friends can really help.
4. Hobbies. Find something simple that you enjoy, and make time for it.
5. Cleaning. For me, having my home look the way I like it, makes me feel better, and like I accomplished something useful.
6. Grounding myself in deliberate thinking. For this, when doubts started biting me as part of the "new relationship energy" phase with my boyfriend (that crazymaking time of emotional ups and downs early on) and I began to fear that he didn't REALLY love me or something, I would imagine how his eyes look when he looks at me. Focus on that mental image, and use it to ground myself in the fact that I am loved. So think of a moment where your partner, or someone important to you, made you feel very loved, and stop to relive that memory when you feel turbulent.
7. Don't feel afraid to ask for what you need, or that it invalidates what you are given. The people who love you, want to be there for you, but no one is a mind-reader. It is ok to ask for what you need, and it is still genuine when they then give it to you.

If all of this sort of thing fails, then possibly therapy or even antidepressants could be in order, depending on how much this kind of thinking interferes with your life.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:53 PM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
Like yourself. Then you have somebody who likes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology