Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:06 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

So I know two people who have mentioned in the past that someone "copied" them. I can't remember the exact examples, but one was something like this:

Person A: I've been living in my condo in ABC neighborhood for 3 years. Now that I've been on this job for a year, my colleague Sarah who I talk to kinda often (not a close friend, just a colleague) decided to copy me and is now also moving to ABC neighborhood. (By neighborhood, I'm not referring to the same street or subdivision, but rather a certain area of the city that was within 1 mile or so of where Person A was living.)

Here's another:

Person B: I went on a cruise with this person years ago. We were excited about doing excursions. I had in my mind that I would love to go parasailing. When we went up the counted to ask about excursions, I asked about parasailing (which I do know that Person B had casually mentioned one day but like I said I was also interested in), Person B annoyingly said that that was "her" excursion and stated I was copying her. She seemed really offended that I was going to do the same type of excursion. (I was really taken aback by this reaction but I attributed it to her having a weird/bad/rare moment.)

Anyways, this is my thing:

Maybe I've never noticed someone copying me...but I haven't. Maybe no one ever has. I do know that I can recall tons of instances where people have done things I have done after I have done it...sometimes around the same time or sometimes later. However, I have never once thought to myself "that person is copying me!".

I find it really interesting (perhaps annoying is a better word) whenever someone mentions they are being copied...it makes me think they think others are so worried about what they are doing and so into wanting to be like them that they have to emulate things in their life. But I honestly don't think hardly anyone is like that. I tend to think the person who believes they are being copied is just a bit narcissistic (spelling) to think other people's actions are based on their own. Is this the right word to describe people who think they are being copied?

How would you describe them? Do you know people who have been copied by someone else or others? Am I being the naive one and perhaps just haven't met someone that copies other people? Have you been copied by someone before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 09:08 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times
I was walking down the street one night. It was very late, around 4.00 am. It was on the beach in an area full of discos and clubs and it was full of party goers.

So I started walking next to a guy. I turned my head and started looking at him. He turned his head and faced me. We kept walking for a few seconds looking at each other's faces. We were inches apart. Then I pointed at his glasses. My same exact model. I said, smiling..."you´ve copied me".

The guy pulled a poker face and said "yes, I have copied you...". So I said "you are a copycat...". The guy kept his poker face, and said "yes, I am.."

So I tried to say "people are gonna think we are twins". But he started walking fast and left me behind.

It was an epic interaction.

Guess who the guy was? A cop in uniform. I was very drunk. I always do borderline stuff when I am drunk.

I was lucky I live in Barcelona and cops are relaxed here...in the US I would had been shot long ago.

MAybe this anecdote has not much to do with your post ( he obviously didnt think I was being serious), but I coudlnt help sharing it.

Last edited by Javier77; 08-26-2017 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I worked with a woman who got pregnant and had her baby, and shortly after that I got pregnant. I had been married two years, we bought a house, and then moved on with our overall life goals to start a family.

This woman thought I was copying her. She said it nicely, like she was really flattered that I thought what she had done was worth doing myself, but holy cow. Even other people mentioned it to me - Sharon thinks you're having a baby because she has one and her example looks appealing to you.

That almost seems borderline delusional to me. But she was weird in other ways.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:38 AM

823 posts, read 1,973,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I worked with a woman who got pregnant and had her baby, and shortly after that I got pregnant. I had been married two years, we bought a house, and then moved on with our overall life goals to start a family.

This woman thought I was copying her. She said it nicely, like she was really flattered that I thought what she had done was worth doing myself, but holy cow. Even other people mentioned it to me - Sharon thinks you're having a baby because she has one and her example looks appealing to you.

That almost seems borderline delusional to me. But she was weird in other ways.

Clara, I answered to this thread...and now you go and answer too.

Why are you copying me?

Old 08-26-2017, 09:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Just how does "being copied" harm the person being copied?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Clara, I answered to this thread...and now you go and answer too.

Why are you copying me?
I know!! Exactly!!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Just how does "being copied" harm the person being copied?
It's really weird, isn't it? When I perceive someone has "copied" me - that is, they go to a restaurant I spoke highly about, they buy a car I have and enjoy, they decide to stick a bike rack on their car too because trail biking sounds like fun to them, etc.

Honestly, the people I know who hate to be "copied" are attention hounds. They want to be in the limelight all the time. They resent if they name their baby a common name and someone else in the family or circle chooses that name too, they get engaged and they get angry that their wedding plans aren't the center of the stage because another family member also gets engaged, etc.

Irritating.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:13 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Their parents told them they were special and important, so they think the world revolves around them, and everyone else is paying close attention to their every action and wanting to be them.

I blame smaller families. With 6 kids, mom and dad didn't pander as much.

Clarification: I think the world has enough humans and smaller families are a good idea.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
In high school I knew a girl who said, generally and to no one in particular, "no one can wear Lucky Brand jeans because Lucky Brand jeans are MY thing." She was completely serious.

I already owned multiple pairs of Lucky Brand jeans, and I wore them. And I had Spanish class with her. Oh well.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
When someone feels the need to "copy" you, it's a form of flattery (I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology