Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times

Advertisements

OP: Snowflake on the anti-gun crusade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 PM

190 posts, read 192,634 times
There is a frontier gun culture alive in some areas of the USA. I grew up with hunting being a major part of our family having meat in our meals. Driving a tractor in harvesting, there was a shotgun close if a 'rooster' (pheasant) was kicked up. They ate grain, they were literally fair game.

Growing up with guns being a part of everyday life lends familiarity with guns that is transferable to martial skills, imo.

I feel naked without a watch, or a pocket knife. I use those several times a day. Being able to not carry a firearm is lighter. I feel a weight of extra responsibility when I have a gun. It's purely psychological, but is there for me.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1181 View Post
I would feel totally helpless.. how would I warn a guy on the street if he gave me a menacing stare? What if I met another gun owner and couldn't show him my pride and joy, a Taurus PT-92 with pearl grips and custom mags? Hell I sleep with it loaded within arm's distance every other night... I'd personally be doing my due research into just what kind of crime rates I'd be facing when abroad then writing a stern letter to el Presidente on just what I thought of his country's restrictions on my civil liberties!!
Excellent profile of what a certain segment of the brainwashed population thinks of gun-crazed lunatic killers!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
OP: Snowflake on the anti-gun crusade?
The term "snowflake" at least started out as a term that made sense. It referred to people who thought they were unique and deserved special consideration. Somehow, it has degenerated into a catch-all term for liberals.

I'm so ready for this term to be retired.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, not at all. The overwhelming likelihood is that his chosen victim will not have a gun.

First, only a very small percentage of Americans are commonly armed. In Texas, for instance, only 3% of residents have licenses to carry concealed weapons, and in surveys only half of them ever actually carry their weapons (even part of the time). So even in Texas, the odds of any given person being armed is statistically less than 2% (and probably less than that).

Yep. I live in an open carry state, live in the most populous county in that state, and have NEVER seen anybody carrying, despite open carry being legal.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
The term "snowflake" at least started out as a term that made sense. It referred to people who thought they were unique and deserved special consideration. Somehow, it has degenerated into a catch-all term for liberals.

I'm so ready for this term to be retired.
This, so much. It doesn't even make sense anymore. It's just a catchall, meaningless insult.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:32 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This, so much. It doesn't even make sense anymore. It's just a catchall, meaningless insult.

I had no clue what it meant, I had to google it. At first glance I thought it was related to "gay".

Old 08-28-2017, 04:43 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I had no clue what it meant, I had to google it. At first glance I thought it was related to "gay".
"Gay" is what conservatives called liberals until about 2006.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:50 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
"Gay" is what conservatives called liberals until about 2006.

Well, I have always been a gay person.

In the traditional meaning of gay as a happy person, I mean...

Old 08-28-2017, 06:57 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep. I live in an open carry state, live in the most populous county in that state, and have NEVER seen anybody carrying, despite open carry being legal.
Open carry is legal in my state, and I have never seen it either. Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology