Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times

Advertisements

Do you feel naked without one? (serious question)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 03:54 PM

823 posts, read 1,973,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
How do you know that? I resent the implication that the rest of us are lying to you. I think what you really meant to say was, "Thanks, Happy, you are the only one who said what I was hoping to hear."

I also own a circular saw, but I don't carry that with me everywhere I go either. Doesn't mean I don't have a good reason to own it; I just leave it at home for when I need it for something. And we probably seem casual about it because we are casual about it, because it is no big deal "moving around without a gun."

I'm sorry, but you seem to have some extremely biased ideas about guns and the people who own them. You ask, "why even have it in the first place?" That's a very strange question. You seem to think that everyone who owns a gun owns one so they can carry it around everywhere they go to defend themselves. That's just not the case. Around half of American adults own guns, but only 4.5% have concealed carry permits. Personal defense is just one of many reasons to own a firearm - hunting, target shooting, and collecting are also very popular reasons to own a gun. Personally, I enjoy shooting, and I also own some guns simply because they belonged to my father or grandfather, and were passed down to me. I don't avoid leaving the house if I am going somewhere that won't allow me to drag my gun cabinet along with me.

With all due respect, I think you're watching the wrong movies.

I made a mistake by suggesting that, and I apologize. It caught me in the heat of the moment and I guess it can be interpreted as a lack of respect to the respondants on this threat.

I take it back.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The OP reminds me of Piers Morgan when he came to the US trying to convince us all that if we'd just give up our guns, we'd be so much happier and healthier people. He had no clue, and neither does the OP.

The majority of people who own guns in the US do not do so out of fear. That seems to be the OP's premise. Otherwise, why own one? The OP apparently lives either in the UK or the EU, and is parroting what his government has told him about Americans who own guns, and how they have it oh-so-much better in his country, now that they are being "sensible" by giving up their gun rights. You guys have been hoodwinked, bamboozled into giving up something that your government tricked you into doing. It will take you a helluva lot more work, pain, and years to get that right back, than it took you to give it up!

You want to know why Americans own guns? I'll tell you why, since nobody has brought it up here, yet. The reason is to prevent tyranny in government. That was the original reason, and still the overriding reason. Whatever your politicians told you, was wrong.

And long after the EU descends into tyranny, the US flag will still wave over a free nation. And yes, our guns will be the reason!

Not really. My goverment (the Spanish goverment) has told me nothing about it.

Micheal Moore is an American. He belongs to the NRA. He was brought up in Michigan, a gun loving State.

So I guess he could be descrived as a reliable source. Bowling for Columbine nails it.

I've met American tourists in my city, Barcelona. Many of them told me interesting stories about the subject.(which I wont comment here cos this thread has gotten entangled enough)

Anyways...nothing is gonna change, so no need to worry.

it was an interesting exchange of opinions.

Peace and love.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Good lordie, I've been walking around naked all my life..never held a gun. Weapons are killers and I don't want them near me.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
The problem with some tools is that they affect other people's lives and other people's rights.

Check the terrorist attacks in Europe. A guy running over people with a truck. Or a guy stabbing people with a knife. Or the odd bomb here and there.

Number of victims ? A few dozen.

Now, imagine if Euope decided it was okay for citizens to have those tools...the number of victims would grow exponentially.

Anyone could buy a tool, stand in a corner and start shooting at random and mass murder as many people they wanted.

Students in a university campus, babies in a nursery, random people on the Street...no limits.

Everybody will be scared cos everybody could use those tools.

You can Dodge a truck or you can Dodge a knife (or at lest you have a small chance), but you can´t Dodge a bullet.

And that must have a psychological impact on a society.
It is legal to own guns in most, maybe all European countries.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is legal to own guns in most, maybe all European countries.

Only for hunters.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:45 PM

457 posts, read 660,660 times
Interesting to note that foreign enemies, for the last 100 years or so, being at war with the US have NEVER
seriously considered invading the U.S. Why? They knew that there was no way they could defeat the armed
citizens of the U S, being one of the few countries that had a Constitution providing for an armed populous.
There was no way an invading army could disarm America. They would be defeated by those "armed civilians"
that populate America.

That is also why Americans will never be disarmed. Not everyone trust their government! ( Hi, EU, how's it
hangin?)

Old 08-27-2017, 04:48 PM

25,547 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Kind of an interesting thread.

Women want their guns close by. At least, some women.

Men are different. Whereas I am fairly typical of a gun owner and know where mine is, I don't need it close at hand. One reason for that is, I am a perfectly capable 72 year old who knows where the Bubba Stick is. And besides keeping the gun that close is kind of a pain in the arse. I'll take my chances and keep it locked up.

I find my attitude about guns is a little far right of most folks. I think it is every American's DUTY to own and maintain a firearm. I think that was the intent of the fine folks who wrote The Constitution. They assumed every one of us would have a firearm and in that way the government itself would be held in check.
So I keep mine locked up, but oiled and checked with ammunition available.
It's my duty as an American.

PS:
Bubba Stick. Heavy brass head.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:48 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good lordie, I've been walking around naked all my life..never held a gun. Weapons are killers and I don't want them near me.
So the weapon, not the person using it is to blame? I fear bad people, not weapons. Oh, you're in CA. Never mind.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:49 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Do you feel naked without one? (serious question)
Do you feel naked without wearing your watch, or without your phone? Do you have home owner's insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology