Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times

Advertisements

I got the first coat of paint on the back side of my house. Finished the rest the next day and a little of the following day. I was thrilled to get this done. So happy birthday to me. Friend and I were going to go to town but neither of us really felt like it. Her birthday is the following day from mine. At 68 and she was 70 it looses its thrill. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
She sounds like a walking Facebook page ("look at my fabulous life"); how exhausting! Tell them you no longer have birthday parties; you're not ten years old.
This is exactly what I was thinking. OP could just say she outgrew b-day parties and hullabaloo when she graduated from HS. It's weird that one co-worker would be so persistent, and continue badgering her.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
Thanks all, I was starting to feel like I was being weird not loving the idea of another birthday and not feeling the need to do something amazing for it.
Really, few people do that sort of thing, unless their friends throw a surprise party. But that happens mostly on TV, not IRL, lol.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
I have a husband and kids... still dont celebrate. This year the house was cleaned for me. Thats it. My mom didnt even wish me a happy birthday. and im 32.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:31 AM

191 posts, read 267,599 times
I am turning 32. Oh well, it has stopped, for now. Don't really get adults who make a big fuss over everyday birthdays, it's just another day for me.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:35 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
For thirteen years … my answer has been “Nothing.”

I don’t need a big to-do every year; I'm the mom now & I do it for the kids. It would have been nice maybe on my 40th. This year will be my 50th. I can only hope.

It’s because I married someone who doesn’t care, I guess. It’s because I left work 10 years ago to care for my disabled 13 yr old & my world got very, very tiny .

I feel like a “Who” from “Whoville” yelling “I am here! I am here …!” from my tiny little speck-of-dust-planet.

Where did that Horton guy go, anyway?

I don’t know; OP. I’ve tried it different ways. I don’t like the “say nothing & get butt-hurt” approach because that’s just way too passive-aggressive.

I don’t like the “stiff-upper lip while you blow up a package of balloons, hang streamers & then sit there & look at them” approach either. Too pathetic.

I DO buy myself a cake every year & kind of make a big deal about revealing it after dinner.

But it could always be worse; you know? The one thing that I've always wondered is; how do convicts feel when they get a birthday card while they are doing their time? Have you ever actually noticed a typical Hallmark card?

Some examples:

“Turning [50] is big! Especially when it’s someone like you, who has made the most of each year and made such a positive difference for the people in your life.”

“Be safe, have fun, take pictures, and enjoy every minute of this exciting time in your life!”

“Hope today’s filled with all your favorite guilty pleasures!”

I mean; I think if it were me I'd just wait to open them & write a "Hey; thanks for remembering me with the b-day card!" letter back.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
IMHO it's a rather silly question to ask anyone over 30. That's about time when birthdays become scary rather than a cause for celebration.

And no, you are not a loser, you are an adult. It's no ones business what you do on your birthday.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
At your age, I was working multiple jobs, so I tended to take my birthday off from both as a special treat (I still do this).

If anyone ever asked, I just happily said "I'm doing NOTHING!!"

I did always try to do something special to me, but often that was simply getting a project started that I hadn't been able to, sit down and read a book, take a nap on my deck, drive to the beach if it was warm etc (my bday is mid-March so weather varies greatly).

As a busy person, sometimes doing nothing is really something.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I last had a party when I last had family and a big tribe of friends, but LIFE HAPPENS and I no longer have that. I used to, at that point, do something special "just for me" to celebrate, but now I don't even bother with that. It's fine. Just another day! You're not "weird." Or, if you are, so are we.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:16 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
But as I have no partner and my friends are not available, I am doing nothing. What should I say I am doing to stop myself sounding like a total 32 yr old loser?
Why don't you just treat yourself to whatever you want?! That's what I've done for most of my b-days. I don't have a lot of friends where I could have a large group go out with to celebrate my b-day.It has always been me treating myself to something and ENJOYING my whole day. You do the same and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology