Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:29 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I've been having these thoughts from time to time in regards to some of the activities I do. While some would suggest better things coming along to top them, I just don't see that to be the case. Sometimes you hit the pinnacle of life and then it's all mundane and humdrum from there.
But after experimenting with limiting the activities I like to travel out to when I'm able to do them, I've found that simply occupying yourself with long work hours, or hard work outs will make you too tired to really be saddened by the loss of those particular things anymore.
I mean now, taking a long, interrupted nap after a gym session, followed by a 14-16 hour shift, is enough satisfaction to calm my nerves.
No one can live up on the pinnacles long term. I think its normal to feel a "let down" after something very exciting or pleasurable. There may have been a lot of anticipation and expectation playing in to how pleasurable the event actually was. Once its over, the reaction may be something as simple as all those neurons and stimulating hormones settling back down again. If you understand it, you can let it wash over you and drift away....its just something that happens. I don't feel its useful to try to prevent it by rushing toward the next "thrill", or something to fear. Whether life is really humdrum or not probably depends on your attitude, not the life itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 08:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Yes, transitions can be hard.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Another acting class should not be hard to find. Acting is an art form, so while it sounds like you and others really enjoyed that particular teacher, there are plenty of other good teachers. It's probably the acting, or studying acting, that is so compelling to you, so don't give that up or go on to something else. Stick with the acting, just find a school to continue your work, even if you have to move to do so.

I'm a musician, basically, and when I was young I sacrificed everything to work with eminent teachers throughout the U.S. and Canada. By everything, I mean I did not mind being poor, not owning much of anything or having a normal life. All I wanted to do was study music. And I did. And I don't regret it.

Now I'm retired and I teach music, and I know what I'm talking about. Find an acting teacher like that.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
No one can live up on the pinnacles long term. I think its normal to feel a "let down" after something very exciting or pleasurable. There may have been a lot of anticipation and expectation playing in to how pleasurable the event actually was. Once its over, the reaction may be something as simple as all those neurons and stimulating hormones settling back down again. If you understand it, you can let it wash over you and drift away....its just something that happens. I don't feel its useful to try to prevent it by rushing toward the next "thrill", or something to fear. Whether life is really humdrum or not probably depends on your attitude, not the life itself.

I don't know. I've searched around for similar events in cities I've thought about moving to and found nothing.
You go from "fitting in with the pack", to becoming "that thorn in everyone else's side".

Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I don't know. I've searched around for similar events in cities I've thought about moving to and found nothing.
You go from "fitting in with the pack", to becoming "that thorn in everyone else's side".
You could try giving instead of getting, charity work fulfills lives.
Anytime my state of being was reliant on external events nothing good resulted.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You could try giving instead of getting, charity work fulfills lives.
Anytime my state of being was reliant on external events nothing good resulted.
Nah. My heart isn't that big enough to mentally last that long on that sort of job. I could hardly deal with the one that pays my own bills.
For something like charity work, one's heart has to really be into it in order to not be later exposed as a phony.
So yeah, I'll just learn to live without some things and just indulge in a longer work schedule. Work, go work out for a few hours, go to sleep.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Anybody ever have a hard time dealing with the end of a really positive experience, even when you knew the end was coming?
No, though I might wish that it wouldn't end.
I deal with it well because I'm of the belief that we should "make hay while the sun shines" so to speak.
So I do...... because I realize and except that everything eventually comes to an end...and then I just cherish the memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology