Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:28 PM

25 posts, read 18,704 times

Advertisements

...I feel myself becoming one more and more all the time.

Most of my life, I've been like this, even when I was a kid. I always had a disdain for how stupid, shallow, hypocritical, and self-righteous people are. Logically, I know that not everyone is like that, that most people also have good qualities, and that I'm not perfect myself, but yet I still find myself feeling morally and intellectually superior to "the masses".

I often see so many people seemingly having fun, light-hearted, laughing easily, generally being a "part" of something that I feel like I merely observe and judge rather than partake in.

In some ways, I'm envious of them for being able to do this. I recognize that is certainly a part of it.

But even beyond that, I just feel annoyed at most people. I feel annoyed that most people are so self-satisfied despite being so tremendously flawed and doing nothing to improve themselves.

Now, like I said, I know I'm not perfect. I've made mistakes and will continue to make them. But on the whole, I feel better than the majority of people because I have trained myself over the years to (almost always) do the following: remain objective and see all sides of a situation, think critically and calmly and not let my emotions steamroll over the facts, treat people with kindness and not participate in any of the cattiness/pettiness/talking behind people's backs **** that a lot of people do, barely ever drink, never do drugs, etc.

I live a goody-two-shoe life, apparently. I'm mostly glad that I am like this, but it only serves to create more barriers between me and most other people. I sometimes wish I could be as carefree, reckless, selfish, and hypocritical as everyone else, since they seem to be happier that way.

Can anyone else relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
If this were true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOfSilver View Post

I have trained myself over the years to (almost always) do the following: remain objective and see all sides of a situation
...... wouldn't you be able to figure this out?

Quote:

*think critically and calmly and not let my emotions steamroll over the facts
... not be envious or annoyed?

Quote:
*treat people with kindness and not participate in any of the cattiness/pettiness/talking behind people's backs **** that a lot of people do
.. not be judgmental???

Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 PM

153 posts, read 121,134 times
How do you know they are self-satisfied, selfish, reckless, hypocritical and tremendously flawed?

If you can put aside your own self righteousness and not judge so much, you may find yourself actually enjoying their company.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM

25 posts, read 18,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If this were true:

...... wouldn't you be able to figure this out?

... not be envious or annoyed?

.. not be judgmental???
*sigh*

I said that I already logically realized that. Objectively speaking, I already know that. That doesn't automatically stop me from feeling the way I do though. If we all felt the way we "know" is "right", then there would be a lot less problems in the world, but it unfortunately doesn't work that way.

For example, you might "know" that a girl is all wrong for you and the relationship is going to be unhealthy, and yet you still might feel passionately in love with her and go along with it anyway, even though you know you shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB75
How do you know they are self-satisfied, selfish, reckless, hypocritical and tremendously flawed?
Because of their actions, words, behaviors...

Quote:
If you can put aside your own self righteousness and not judge so much, you may find yourself actually enjoying their company.
I've tried many times. I've put myself out there a lot. I'm extremely friendly (despite not liking most people) and have tried to develop genuine connections with people, but I always end up feeling like I don't really care about them, don't really want to hang out with them (could take or leave it usually), and generally don't enjoy being part of a "group" the way most people do.

I would like to. Surely life would be easier and more fun. But it's never worked out yet.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
*sigh*
I know it's hard to deign to reply to those of us who aren't up there with you, but if you could bear with me for a moment ...

Quote:

I said that I already logically realized that. Objectively speaking, I already know that. That doesn't automatically stop me from feeling the way I do though.
Like I said, if what you wrote in your OP were true, and you HAD trained yourself as you claim, you wouldn't be facing this dichotomy.

The most obvious reason is inadequacy. What is your superiority masking?

Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
OP, I can relate to a lot of what you say, but there is one big difference (and I think it actually makes me happy): I don't feel like I'm better than the majority of people. In fact, I don't really see anyone as being wholly better than anyone else. I see differences and yes, maybe on a micro scale of one skill or attribute one person one might be better than another, but overall better, no. There are too many factors and variables that make up a human being to clearly say person A is better than person B. Me included.

If you are looking for advice, which is why am assuming you're posting, I would say to make a concerted effort to find at least one thing in each person that you find as amazing or better than some aspect of yourself. Again, I'm not saying find a better person than you but look back at the people you think aren't better than you and really look at their personalities, skills, attributes, the whole package. You might surprise yourself and it might change your outlook.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times
Quote:
I still find myself feeling morally and intellectually superior to "the masses".
I feel annoyed that most people are so self-satisfied despite being so tremendously flawed and doing nothing to improve themselves.
You sound like an interesting person.
Can you elaborate on examples how you're intellectually superior?
What things have you done for continual self-improvement?
In other words, what sort of person, more like yourself, would you NOT be annoyed by?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:58 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Have you ever looked past "...their actions, words, behaviors..."? Have you ever paused and purposefully looked past their appearances? I strongly recommend you do that once or twice. You might be floored. Someone said every person is a true person if we take the time to actually see them. (And that only takes a minute.)

Old 09-06-2017, 08:01 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I get it. If it's not a deep, meaningful, stimulating relationship, you're not interested.

And you probably want them to be interested in what you are interested in, right?

You know this makes you snobby right? And there is nothing wrong with that. But just own it

If you want to hang out with more people, you need to lighten up, even if you are faking it.
If not, then you need to be ok with less people in your life. Which is fine too.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
no, don't relate at all. It sounds like being blinded by one's own arrogance and sense of superiority and judging everyone through a very narrow prism of hateful presumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology