Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Thoughts?
My thought is that nobody in his right mind would assume anything Paris Hilton would ever do or say would be in any way indicative of standard American societal norms.

And also that this didn't happen.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 AM

823 posts, read 1,961,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My thought is that nobody in his right mind would assume anything Paris Hilton would ever do or say would be in any way indicative of standard American societal norms.

The first part: I didnt. I have seen in other cases. The first time ever it caught my attention was Michael Jackon during a documentry. He said that to literary every single fan who approached him. The nature of Paris Hilton's reality show also played a role. "Best friend forever". The winner of the show became her best friend forever. They were several seasons, so its kinda impossible. I just used that anecdote to illustrate a more general opinion, that's all. (opinion which is shared by many people).

And the second part: it's ok., I knew before posting the anecdote there woud be someone who would think it's a lie. And also the Charles Barkely anecdote. Both 100 per cent real. But is human nature to assume that peculiar stuff only happens in fiction.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,289,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Ha!

Stranger things have happened though. For instance, most people wouldn't believe that I once had breakfast with Jaclyn Smith and Slim Pickens, at a diner in the Ozark Mountains - all sitting together at the same table. But it really did happen.

Maybe Paris Hilton is a nice person - I have no idea. I think it would be weird to be a "star" though and personally I'd hate that I had no privacy.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ha!

Stranger things have happened though. For instance, most people wouldn't believe that I once had breakfast with Jaclyn Smith and Slim Pickens, at a diner in the Ozark Mountains - all sitting together at the same table. But it really did happen.

Maybe Paris Hilton is a nice person - I have no idea. I think it would be weird to be a "star" though and personally I'd hate that I had no privacy.

I believe you.

If you think about it, it's just common statistical sense.

Celebrities travel much more than the average person. They are invited to parties, games, election campaigns, openings, etc. Wherever they go, they interact with local people . That interaction can be enjoyed by them (I think it happens to be the case of Paris Hilton, IMHO), or not, (for example the classic celebrity who is alway recluded in his house, like Howard Hugues).

Celebrities are used to that, and probably they forget 99 per cent of their interctions with people. But people who interact with them remember very well the event.

Paris Hilton and Charles Barkely most likely dont even remember they were in Barcelona, let alone my face.

But to me is a very vivid memory.

So there must be millions of people out there with all sort of crazy anecdotes with celebrities. It's just common statistical sense.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:31 AM

Think for example Barack Obama. When he was young he spent some time backpacking, he traveled around Europe, he was even in Barcelona (no, I didnt come across him).

He interacted with hundreds, thousands of people. He smoked a joint here, he had an affair there. He did stuff with people.

Somebody somewhere did something with a young Barack Obama 30 years ago.

Most likely they dont say it outside of their close circle cos they know nobody would believe them.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,755,744 times
I suppose "I love you" is a nicer response than Paris telling you that you're #2?

Old 09-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I suppose "I love you" is a nicer response than Paris telling you that you're #2?

If she had said I was number 2 I would had made a scene. Not even her bodyguard could stop me.

Jeez...thanks god she said she loved me...

Old 09-14-2017, 12:39 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,755,744 times
Maybe she really does love you and is waiting for you to propose marriage!

Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Maybe she really does love you and is waiting for you to propose marriage!

That's why I opened this thread for...with the secret hope she reads this thread and contacts me...

No luck so far.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:25 PM

44,271 posts, read 19,928,214 times
Most of this thread is off-topic to the Psychology forum. Some posts are much more suited for a blog than for a discussion thread. Some of the posts are not at all related to the topic in the opening post. The thread is now closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology