Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:16 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,363 times

Advertisements

A little true event.

A few years ago I was having a walk at night. I live by the beach, in Barcelona, Spain. It's an area full of restaurants, discos and clubs.

I noticed there was a group of people waiting at the door of one of the popular clubs. So I went there to check what was going on. Red carpet, some paparazzies, some camaras, etc.

Paris Hilton was happening. She was attending a party in that club.

I dont give a hoot about her, but I dont dislike her neither. In fact I had seen a few chapters of her reality show Best Friend Forever, and I kinda liked her.

I had not much to do anyways, so I joined the group of people and started waiting. There were like 40 people, and after a while it became unconfortable. Some papazzies getting agressive about "their spot" and some elbowing going on.

So the high IQ guy in me thought "dude...just go to the road. She's coming by car, probably a limo, and all those twits cramming in here like tinned sardines and there's nobody on the road waiting for her...".

So I moved to the road, just at the closest point to the club. And guess what, 2 minutes later appears a luxury car with tinted windows, stops on the spot, the driver gets out, opens the back door and Paris Hilton gets out of the car.

Like 2 meters from me. I could even smell her scent.

So I hought, ok, let's do the fan thing, so I yelled: "PARIS NUMBER ONE!"

She turned her head at me, surprised.

So I went, " YOU ARE THE NUMBER ONE, PARIS"

She looked at me in the eye, it really felt like a slow motion scene in a movie, kinda magical, and said, in a sweet

and elegant way "Thank you, I love you".

And kept walking towards the club, followed by her bodyguard and I couldnt see her anymore.

But I felt very WTF.

Saying I love you to a total stranger like that sounded superficial as hell.

In the USA, for what I have heard is very common. In Europe is much more restricted. You only say I love you to somebody you do love.

Maybe it is not bad or good thing, it's just different social perspectives on the subject.

Thoughts?

PS .sometimes when I am having a low moment I think " Don´t be sad, Paris Hilton loves you ", Lol.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:17 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
It's a celebrity thing. Her way of thanking her fanbase for loving her. I think entertainment celebrities from any country would say this.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It's a celebrity thing. Her way of thanking her fanbase for loving her. I think entertainment celebrities from any country would say this.
Yep, celebrities are used to that stuff.

But I cannot imagine somebody like Penélope Cruz, or Antonio Banderas doing it.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post

Saying I love you to a total stranger like that sounded superficial as hell.

In the USA, for what I have heard is very common. In Europe is much more restricted. You only say I love you to somebody you do love.

Maybe it is not bad or good thing, it's just different social perspectives on the subject.

Thoughts?
Well in Britain, when one says 'sorry' one usually means anything but 'sorry'. Often it's meant to mean 'get out of my way' or 'move your sh..'. In the US, it almost always means 'sorry' as in 'I apologize' (unless said with sarcasm). Much more superficial in the UK.

What I'm trying to say is that there are idioms everywhere. In the US people know when 'I love you' means 'I love you' and when it means something less. Don't read so much into how words are used idiomatically.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Well in Britain, when one says 'sorry' one usually means anything but 'sorry'. Often it's meant to mean 'get out of my way' or 'move your sh..'. In the US, it almost always means 'sorry' as in 'I apologize' (unless said with sarcasm). Much more superficial in the UK.

What I'm trying to say is that there are idioms everywhere. In the US people know when 'I love you' means 'I love you' and when it means something less. Don't read so much into how words are used idiomatically.

Good point.

Your post gave me a flashback of that runner on that bridge in London pushing that woman...I dont think he had the word "sorry" in his mind, LOL.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:02 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Good point.

Your post gave me a flashback of that runner on that bridge in London pushing that woman...I dont think he had the word "sorry" in his mind, LOL.
Actually I would not be surprised if he said 'sorry' as he pushed her out of the way. It's very common for someone to utter 'sorry' as they push into you (although I've never had anything THAT extreme happen to me!)

Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This. OP, you're taking it much to literally. You caught her by surprise, and were so close to her, it was startling for her, I'm sure. You're lucky she was able to maintain or regain composure. She did pretty well, under the circumstances. The thing is, people never know how weird fans can get. It can feel threatening sometimes. But she figured out that you were harmless, and managed to give you a kind reply. Go with that.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. OP, you're taking it much to literally. You caught her by surprise, and were so close to her, it was startling for her, I'm sure. You're lucky she was able to maintain or regain composure. She did pretty well, under the circumstances. The thing is, people never know how weird fans can get. It can feel threatening sometimes. But she figured out that you were harmless, and managed to give you a kind reply. Go with that.
Yep, I totally got her by surprise, she had barely stepped out of the car. It was a great interaction though, I think she loved the attention and get praise so far from home.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
HOnestly, I'm more disturbed by the fact that you needed to scream "you're number one!" at Paris Hilton. Dude, WTF? Why?

Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
HOnestly, I'm more disturbed by the fact that you needed to scream "you're number one!" at Paris Hilton. Dude, WTF? Why?

Cos it was winter, I was freezing my butt, I had spent there 30 minutes waiting and cognitive dissonance was kicking hard, it was like "okay if I endured this at least now that I have Paris Hilton in front of me I am supposed to cheer her and do the fan thing, otherwise why the heck I waited all this time for?"

I was just playing my role of dedícated fan, the role I was supposed to play...no shame in that. She probably thought I was there on purpose, that I had gone to that specific place to see her, like fans do, and that's ok.

Besides, I always do that kind of stuff in real life, some drama in the heat of the moment about things I dont give a hoot about, just some casual fun. Everybody wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology