Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why do you have to forward Amazon emails to him?

He's treating you like a child. I doubt the dynamics of your relationship are going to change at this point. I'd start over and find someone you are in an equal relationship with, not waste any more time in this one.

That's a pretty Strong recommendation from a stranger on a forum. There is SO MUCH we don't know about this couple. And to run from one man to another...that's really crazy advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:45 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's a pretty Strong recommendation from a stranger on a forum. There is SO MUCH we don't know about this couple. And to run from one man to another...that's really crazy advice.
Says the person who "recommends" " remedies" to everyone (strangers) on the internet.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:28 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
And you can't bully me into stopping contributing my opinion to this thread by issuing commands and using profanity. Which is the type of controlling behavior we've been talking about, isn't it?
+1

Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I wonder how he spoke to her during courtship and the engagement period. Was there any hint of a condescending attitude, lack of trust, anything like that?

OP?
Thank you for mentioning this point. It is important to watch how someone treats you during courtship.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Says the person who "recommends" " remedies" to everyone (strangers) on the internet.
I'm not telling people to leave their spouses and find another. I'm suggesting better health for all I discuss on what WORKS to keep us healthier. SO MANY here talk about all their drug side effects and insurance costs and do nothing to work on their own health. And so many DON'T KNOW about the antioxidants I trust and have so much faith in. How many do you know who have taken an alternative for 22 yrs and talk about all their health improvements. Yeah, I know so many love their drugs.

No comparison in what you say....

Old 09-18-2017, 01:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I wonder how he spoke to her during courtship and the engagement period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post

Thank you for mentioning this point. It is important to watch how someone treats you during courtship.
'courtship', that's funny! People haven't used the word 'courtship' frequently since about 1922 or 1895 and also the Victorian Era!

Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Courtship and living with as in marriage or just living with, can take on different actions.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:07 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
'courtship', that's funny! People haven't used the word 'courtship' frequently since about 1922 or 1895 and also the Victorian Era!
Not the people you know, clearly. But people still do, to refer to a certain stage in the getting-to-know-you process. I'm sure you've seen people use in now and then on the Relationships forum.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:45 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
She doesn't have to jump into another relationship, but if she wants to share her life with someone she should look elsewhere. Yes it is a strong recommendation because leopards don't change their spots and I think it's pretty clear that this guy is controlling. Instead of wasting 20 years with him, it's best to cut her losses and move on. I think a lot of women waste precious years with men like this. Her choice, of course.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:55 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
She doesn't have to jump into another relationship, but if she wants to share her life with someone she should look elsewhere. Yes it is a strong recommendation because leopards don't change their spots and I think it's pretty clear that this guy is controlling. Instead of wasting 20 years with him, it's best to cut her losses and move on. I think a lot of women waste precious years with men like this. Her choice, of course.
As another poster pointed out, though, it's not so easy for her, with a toddler, and no job, or a new job (?) that pays $12/hr. It would mean a massive upheaval in her life, and there's no guarantee the economics would work out, even if she got a better job. Hmm... it was her mother who said she should divorce? I wonder if her mother would be willing to provide child care.

In any case, I'm sure the thread has given the OP plenty of food for thought, for better or for worse. Unless we hear more from the OP, I'm going to hope that her new job helps to resolve the problem. Once he doesn't have financial excuses to berate her about, and the situation falls back to a dull roar, she may be able to work on whatever negativity remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology