Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,206 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about people who attempt to look on the bright side and do mind tricks to delude themselves into being happy when they have no reason to be.

I'm talking about those people that no matter what life throws at them, or how much un-deserved crap piles up in their life they always have a smile on their face, and without even trying.

If it has been proven the depression is do to a metal illness/chemical imbalance that causes the slightest negative thing in their day to send them spiraling into depression. Well would not the opposite exist also?

I myself am Bipolar which means I basically have no middle ground, I'm either super happy on cloud nine seeing puppies and rainbows everywhere when things are going good, then when someone or something steps on my trigger I spiral down to an often suicidal depression. But I was thinking some people have clinical depression and in looks exactly like my depressed phase but when they come out of it the best they can achieve is a state of blah where as when i come out of my depression(usually do to a new love) I'm on top of the world. so if some people can have the depression without the manic side, can some people have the manic without the depression? and are those the people we all know at least one of, thats always happy no-matter what? And if so why is that not considered a mental illness also? because it is the other side of the depression coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 10:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Sounds like a mental illness to me, but it's also a coping mechanism.

Life kicks everyone in the nuts, pretty much constantly. You, me, Warren Buffet, and Vlad Putin.

It's how you get up again that could be defined as "resilience" or perhaps less kindly as "insane optimism." For the alternative is dreadful: giving up. Give up, you will positively fail, end of story. Put a something-eating grin on your face and march it forward, you may not succeed but then again, maybe you will. Positivity tends to attract helpers, sooner or later, vs. negativity which tends to attract no one.

I personally kind of split the difference, either simply leaving the scene when I've been kicked to the curb or adopting a "it's a learning experience!" mentality, holding my head up, and marching on. Working years, decades, at the gladiator academy called Microsoft taught me how to do this; if ever a place would dish out failure to the biggest of the big-brains, it's that place. You either march on, or are annihilated and ten other strong men will shoulder you out of the way to fill your slot.

Today, I realized life is close to perfect as I'd like. I stood in the sun on my porch awhile (I work from home for the moment) and reveled in it. That won't last. The goals need to be set higher if I'm content, or the world will run me over when I'm not looking: that's the reality in my line of work. Another reason to look forward to retirement, I figure.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:21 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Some people seem to have a genuine contentment that allows them to take adversity with good humor.
Others do seem to "fake it 'til you make it"

Old 09-17-2017, 08:47 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Mental illness generally means that the afflicted person is either unhappy with how they're feeling or that they are failing to function in the way that they need to. If you're happy all the time, it's unlikely you want to be unhappy and it's also unlikely that you are failing to function. Nothing needs to be fixed.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Life kicks everyone in the nuts, pretty much constantly. You, me, Warren Buffet, and Vlad Putin.
Why do you think "life kicks everyone pretty much constantly"? I don't think everyone gets kicked pretty much constantly. Just curious....

Life is problematic for some people more than others, and being in poverty or having serious illness, for example, can mean that hardships are often present and endured.

But I see a lot of happy and/or content people who do not view life as continual frequent kicks.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Why do you think "life kicks everyone pretty much constantly"? I don't think everyone gets kicked pretty much constantly. Just curious....

Life is problematic for some people more than others, and being in poverty or having serious illness, for example, can mean that hardships are often present and endured.

But I see a lot of happy and/or content people who do not view life as continual frequent kicks.
2016 was the happiest year of my life. I knew it couldn't last, and I have to say, there was a little fear involved for me in being so happy. I had my perfect life, and I knew it couldn't last. I tried to enjoy it while I could - spent as much time with my dogs as I could, cherished my friends, went on the trip of a lifetime with my two best friends in the world, rebuilt relationships with family I'd been estranged from, etc. I tried to be in the moment as much as possible. And then 2017 hit.

The dog of my dreams died after a sudden illness. I'm effectively an orphan at 41 - having severed my relationship with my mother and watching my father slide into dementia. Money troubles have hit kind of hard, and my career suddenly seems like it might be in jeopardy given the chaos that has resulted from all the other downturns. My ADD, anxiety and depression are back full force and I spend every waking moment battling them. My two besties have had similar downturns, and one of them said last night we hit a peak last year and now we're just riding a valley.

It's not that life kicks everyone constantly, imo. Life kicks you periodically, and you surf those periods in between as best you can and savor the memories of them when things go pear-shaped again. The bestie and I last night were discussing our plans for getting out of this particular valley - we've rarely had our peaks/valleys coincide, so this is a new experience, I guess, with all three of us feeling out of sorts at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology