Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I express love of animals through trying to protect native species and their habitat. This is at odds with pets and often with people.
It is? Who knew that having pets and protecting native species/habitats were mutually exclusive.

The things you learn on CD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Everyone's wired differently. I love animals and I have almost always had a pet of some sort... up until recently. I can't be "moderate" when it comes to my pets. I worry about their safety and well-being to the point where it almost becomes a burden. After my elderly cat passed last year, my husband was diagnosed with cancer. In order to keep the stress levels down a bit, we opted not to get another pet. I knew I'd not cope well with taking care of my husband... AND moving in the midst of his treatment.. and then having a pet to keep safe and happy? Nope. It was the right decision. But it feels... weird and unnatural to me, too. I can't even have a goldfish or hamster. I get way too attached! I know I take it over the top, but it's just the way my brain is when it comes to critters, I guess.
But I think it's perfectly natural for others to not want pets. I understand that not everyone takes it to the level I do.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:25 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I'm indifferent to dogs/cats. Don't hate them, but don't like them much either. To me, pets are just extra work because I don't get any enjoyment out of them. I don't like the smell, hair, poop, having to walk a dog, paying a pet sitter when traveling, etc...

But what really chaps me is people who HAVE to bring their dog with them everywhere, and even worse when they expect everyone else to love their little "fur baby" (puke!) like they do.

Newsflash dog lovers... dogs shouldn't be inside restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, etc...; yet I see them inside those places constantly. Drives me nuts, especially the 20 something girls that think that because they bought a vest off the internet that they can now take their purse-dog with them inside the grocery store. Ridiculous.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:34 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
That said, some people are doing their pets a disservice by thinking they are being so caring and loving, but not treating them as the animals that they are. They aren't people, and they have different emotional needs than people. Dogs especially that don't have their "dog-ness" respected often end up being insecure, ill mannered, and hard to handle. Then they end up at the shelter because no one can stand to be around them.

This is what I was coming here to say. I know people who treat their dogs exactly UN-like dogs. They treat them like babies or baby dolls even.

If you're going to have a pet, respect it enough to treat it like the animal it is.

I like cats. Can't wait till I can have one (or a couple) again. I go back and forth about wanting a dog. Right now, when furry things are impossible, I keep fish, which I love as much as you can love fish.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I had a cool dog when I grew up that stayed outside, he was a spaniel and liked to run, chase birds, and rabbits. My family rarely let him come in the house, he had a part in the garage that was warm, when it got to cold.

I can't understand why some people treat pets like human beings. They also spend massive amounts of money on pets, and let them sleep in bed with them, and even pay people to babysit their pets.

I don't like the smell of cats or dogs in a house, and would not want a dog unless he stay outdoors.

Can anybody understand there are still people like me, that don't want a pet inside, or think of pets like actual people. They are only animals.
That's cool. Some people like pets, some don't. Neither side should be chastised by the other. We have always had at least 1 indoor pet, and they always lived a pretty long spoiled life because we took care of them like they need to be. We spent $1800 on tests, vet fees and cremation fees on our 16 year old cat 4 years ago when he got really sick and we had to eventually put down because we loved him since he was 6 weeks old. A really sad time.

It makes me think though. When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, it seems as though people "rarely" had indoor pets. At least where we lived. Now it seems as though 1 out of 3 families have indoor pets. Those stats aren't concrete, just what it seems like to me.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 09-18-2017 at 09:51 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 09:47 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I had a cool dog when I grew up that stayed outside, he was a spaniel and liked to run, chase birds, and rabbits. My family rarely let him come in the house, he had a part in the garage that was warm, when it got to cold.

I can't understand why some people treat pets like human beings. They also spend massive amounts of money on pets, and let them sleep in bed with them, and even pay people to babysit their pets.

I don't like the smell of cats or dogs in a house, and would not want a dog unless he stay outdoors.

Can anybody understand there are still people like me, that don't want a pet inside, or think of pets like actual people. They are only animals.

No offense, but people like you are weird. The only people in my life that I know of that don't have nor want pets are strange (objectively, not just because I say so).

Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
No offense, but people like you are weird. The only people in my life that I know of that don't have nor want pets are strange (objectively, not just because I say so).

Oh come on, I know a lot of people who do NOT have pets and these people are pretty well rounded normal people. With a lot of interests and since they choose not to own pets, doesn't make them strange.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:53 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Some stores, restaurants, and breweries have official dog policies as well that allow dogs to accompany their owners. I've been to many of these types of establishments and have never been harassed by someone else's dog.
I love animals, but I don't agree with letting them in restaurants or grocery stores (unless they are service dogs). But that's just my opinion.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh come on, I know a lot of people who do NOT have pets and these people are pretty well rounded normal people. With a lot of interests and since they choose not to own pets, doesn't make them strange.
Okay, admittedly I overstated the case perhaps. But I will say in my life, from what I've gathered in my 35 years, the "stranger" people (to me at least) are the ones who don't like nor have any animals.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I could say the lady in my apt bldg who died some yrs ago in her 50's and had 3 cats and when she died the landlord had to find homes for these cats. The one cat died and turns out was cremated and the cat's urn was buried with the owner. I could say she was strange, but I won't, as this is what she wanted. I might do the same if I had dogs/cats that I loved and they died, I would seriously think about cremating them and keeping them in urns in my apt. People do that with people...not strange....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology