Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times

Advertisements

I had a cool dog when I grew up that stayed outside, he was a spaniel and liked to run, chase birds, and rabbits. My family rarely let him come in the house, he had a part in the garage that was warm, when it got to cold.

I can't understand why some people treat pets like human beings. They also spend massive amounts of money on pets, and let them sleep in bed with them, and even pay people to babysit their pets.

I don't like the smell of cats or dogs in a house, and would not want a dog unless he stay outdoors.

Can anybody understand there are still people like me, that don't want a pet inside, or think of pets like actual people. They are only animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:54 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
People acquire things that bring them joy. For some, it's pets... for others, it's Hummels.

Is someone trying to bring a pet inside your home? Is it important that people who hang out in the pets forum understand why you don't want one? Just wonderin'

Old 09-18-2017, 09:02 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
Nobody is bringing a pet in my home Mrs. Holbrook. I just can't understand people paying pet sitters (children are expensive enough!), and speaking like the pet is a child! This thread should really be in the psychology forum, not here with pet lovers.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Then don't get a pet?

I don't treat my dogs like people. I treat them like dogs. They sleep in the house with me though because I'm treating them like dogs - they are pack animals so exiling them to a garage would be kind of hard on them. It's better for the to be close to their people.

Do you know there is a theory that they were responsible for our last great evolutionary leap? They took over the day-to-day work of key functions (like guarding the camp) and allowed our brains to develop further as a result. They may be the only other species that understands our body language from birth. Even wolves raised around humans do not understand things like pointing, but dogs do.

They are our evolutionary puzzle pieces.

I get why you wouldn't want them in the house - they often stink, they countersurf, they make noise, they chew up your stuff (well, mostly if they're poorly trained). But you shouldn't be so mystified as to why people feel differently.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Nobody is bringing a pet in my home Mrs. Holbrook. I just can't understand people paying pet sitters (children are expensive enough!), and speaking like the pet is a child! This thread should really be in the psychology forum, not here with pet lovers.
You can't understand people hiring pet sitters? If the owner has to leave on vacation and can't bring the dog, how is it supposed to eat? Clean up after itself?

I have horses, goats, sheep, dogs, cats... If we have to be away for many hours or days, we would need a sitter to tend the farm. They are living things, dependent on us for everything they need.

People speak to their pets with silly, affectionate squeaky voices, blabbering nonsense to them because they love them. It makes them happy. Why does it bother you? If you do post this in the psychology forum, don't be surprised if some think it's you who needs help in separating your right to make choices from the right of everyone else to make different choices.

Just sayin'...

Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
I agree, then don't get a pet. Some people get great joy from their pets, some get great comfort and companion dogs are truly a blessing. Some don't want pets. Neither is right or wrong. Maybe you are just being a tad judgmental

Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 AM

270 posts, read 282,391 times
Quote:
I had a cool dog when I grew up that stayed outside, he was a spaniel and liked to run, chase birds, and rabbits. My family rarely let him come in the house, he had a part in the garage that was warm, when it got to cold.

I can't understand why some people treat pets like human beings. They also spend massive amounts of money on pets, and let them sleep in bed with them, and even pay people to babysit their pets.

I don't like the smell of cats or dogs in a house, and would not want a dog unless he stay outdoors.

Can anybody understand there are still people like me, that don't want a pet inside, or think of pets like actual people. They are only animals.
I have felt guilt for a long time in not being a pet person. Yes surprisingly people don't accept people who are not into animals. Everyone expects you to be a dog lover or to have an understanding of animals.

This man was walking his dog as I was checking the mail. The dog started sniffing at me and I was like um what do I do. So I just pretended I was happy and started petting the dog. I could not wait to go wash my hands. I always feel guilt about that also. I always want to wash my hands after touching people's animals but I don't want to offend them.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:

I understand that people don't want pets. I understand that pets aren't people. My dogs are not my children or my babies. They are animals BUT they are my companions and come in the house. They are pack animals and need to be with their pack. I will spend the money needed to keep them happy and healthy, Part of being a responsible pet owner is providing the appropriate care.

If you don't want a dog to live in the house with the family, then don't have one. We've domesticated dogs and they have changed through evolution. They're not wild animals that can fend for themselves in the wild without human interaction.

If you want a pet that does not come in the house, get a horse or a cow.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:33 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,076 times
We've always had pets growing up.

When I finally moved out on my own, I wanted a pet for some companionship and opted for a cat because of the low maintenance. She's been with me for seven years and she's been a great companion.

When I moved in with my now fiance, she has always talked about getting a dog. I didn't really want one, because I knew it'd be a big commitment. But eventually I started to get the itch and we opted to get a pup a couple months ago. And despite some of the growing pains, it has been a great experience. Our new pup is super playful and is finally starting to mellow out with us when we want to relax and watch movies. She's super smart and has learned to communicate with us when she needs to go out.

Pets aren't for everybody. They are a big commitment. They don't necessarily need to be super expensive, but they can be if you allow yourself to go overboard with the training, routine vet visits, and toys/snacks. Our pets probably cost us an additional $40/mo. notwithstanding any major vet bill. That's not a bad investment for a little buddy who welcomes you home each day with a gigantic smile and cuddles with you on the couch when you're watching movies.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:

Then don't get a pet. Mod cut.

Who cares if you don't want a pet, but you seem to think you get to have some sort of say in how other adults spend their money, or what animals they have in their home. You don't.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-28-2017 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology