Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I see this all the time and it doesn't bother me. Pray if you want, or keep scrolling if you don't. Pretty simple.
Yes, there is no need to be concerned about it. If the person posting believes in some power of prayer, it may be of some comfort to them to have others do the same. It may be just a placebo effect, but give them some hope. Others that agree can pray, those that don't can just ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm spending my time praying for better posts on City-Data. To heck with social media...
Funny how many +rep I got on this post. Makes ya think about it.

I'm praying for better posts in our forum.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
I'm spending my time praying for better posts on City-Data. To heck with social media...
Sending prayers!

Quote:
Funny how many +rep I got on this post. Makes ya think about it.

I'm praying for better posts in our forum.
I was one of those +1's.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
What is your opinion on people on social media (Facebook) who post asking people to "pray" for someone they know who is in dire straits? I have been noticing this a lot and it makes me wonder are they really sincere in their efforts or just "fishing for likes/comments". And I also wonder if they really do need "prayer", why don't they post themselves. And if the poster is doing this without the person's permission or blessing. I noticed one today that went into great detail about the "issue" that asked for prayer and it made me wonder if the person wanted strangers to know such personal details about them. Thoughts?
That's a good point. When that level of personal info about someone else is posted, the profile owner should engage filters, so only people who know the individual in question can see it. People forget that the whole world can see everything they post, if they don't make an effort to narrow the window they open to the world.

OP, why don't you try to do the person "prayed" for a favor, and suggest to the profile owner that they keep their friend's personal info semi-private? The poor person facing whatever the challenge is deserves that consideration. Good grief! Who would want their medical info posted to the world by a well-meaning friend, or their legal challenges, or rocky marriage/divorce issues? Aaack!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, there is no need to be concerned about it. If the person posting believes in some power of prayer, it may be of some comfort to them to have others do the same. It may be just a placebo effect, but give them some hope. Others that agree can pray, those that don't can just ignore it.
I don't think the topic is about prayer. It's about privacy of others on the internet. Why do we have HIPAA, if a friend or relative can post someone's medical info on social media for the world to see? Or the details of someone's struggle through divorce proceedings, or whatever the topic is? GAH!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
You'll love this, Remington. Anjelah Johnson. Man she's funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIoVTFJEZHE

Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's a good point. When that level of personal info about someone else is posted, the profile owner should engage filters, so only people who know the individual in question can see it. People forget that the whole world can see everything they post, if they don't make an effort to narrow the window they open to the world.

OP, why don't you try to do the person "prayed" for a favor, and suggest to the profile owner that they keep their friend's personal info semi-private? The poor person facing whatever the challenge is deserves that consideration. Good grief! Who would want their medical info posted to the world by a well-meaning friend, or their legal challenges, or rocky marriage/divorce issues? Aaack!
10 times out of 10, it is a friend of my wife who I just happen to be "friends" with on FB. I jokingly ask my wife about such posts and we both just sit and shake our heads about it. A situation where that's all I do is "shake my head" and press on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think the topic is about prayer. It's about privacy of others on the internet. Why do we have HIPAA, if a friend or relative can post someone's medical info on social media for the world to see? Or the details of someone's struggle through divorce proceedings, or whatever the topic is? GAH!
Yes, that is exactly what it's about. I should've worded the title a little different, but it seems people use the "prayer" angle to subconsciously "gossip" or like I said, "fish" for likes or comments on the post. Thanks Ruth.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You'll love this, Remington. Anjelah Johnson. Man she's funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIoVTFJEZHE
Yes!! That was spot on!!

Old 09-28-2017, 11:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
All I can say is after reading this topic (and me being a single sr. citizen) that if I meet any women who are on social media that will be grounds for immediate termination of any idea of dating them.

In fact I don't even want to know people who are high profile on social media. If you can find me on social media it is for damned sure it's somebody else, not me.

I wonder if I could hire somebody to post so much misleading information about me on the Internet that it would turn every name search on my real name into a pile of useless garbage...

One good thing: Lovehound isn't my name and I'm Lovehound only on this one forum. Any other Lovehound you find stole/copied my username. :P

Hey, enjoy your social media. Myself, I have no social media problems because I'm not on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology