Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:05 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,583,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCow011 View Post
The majority of old people sound like a broken record, complaining about how they get no respect, how they don't feel valued.

It's sad, but most old people of today aren't valued but its their own fault, it's because they have nothing valueable to offer.
I know this is very likely a troll post full of rationalizations, but I'll respond anyway.

By saying they have nothing valuable to offer, you're effectively discounting their entire life's experience and the insights and lessons they gain from it. This is a seriously hasty judgement, for some things about human nature or behavior have not changed despite the high-tech "wizardry" of our day and age and beyond.

Furthermore, I'll bet if you heard someone in their 20s repeat word for word what an old person said about human nature matters (and yes, even to a degree, technology matters IF they've kept up with tech trends), then you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what that 20something said. Even in the tech area, it's not their age that is the issue, its their not keeping up with tech trends. A person's error about today's technology is an error about today's technology - no matter if it's an 19 or 90 year old.

Quote:
I do not expects old people to keep up with the latest trends, to know the latest technology, to be hip with the latest entertainment, to keep up with the pace of globalization, to do physically demanding tasks, to even be able to work a job, to even be able to take care of themselves.

But what I do expect from old people is that when they had the ability to do these things, that they lived their life to the fullest, faced adversity, and ultimately came out of this experience with a level of ACCEPTANCE.
"Living to the fullest" is in the eye of the beholder. Who's to say sedentary hobbies like the proverbial stamp collecting are less "full" than skydiving and hang-gliding or doing on adventure safaris. It's just different tastes, like whether you prefer Kona to French Roast coffee. Nothing more, nothing less.

The rest of the OP seems all over the place, flitting from topic to topic.

Quote:
Some things went right, somethings went wrong, but ultimately they learned to accept themselves for who they are and found that all the external stuff is not important. They learned to be happy with life on life's terms. And having found themselves, they have a sense of SERENITY.
How does lacking a sense of serenity and not being happy with "life on life's terms" (whatever that means) make someone worthy of disrespect? Last time I checked, worthiness of disrespect is limited to being consciously and deliberately hurtful or demeaning toward others, or have a clearly willful lack of care about another person's basic well-being or dignity (physical or mental).

Quote:
I expect old people to have something that young people do not yet have, the ability to LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME. And that is a wisdom that I can appreciate in old people. That is an energy that I want to be around. I want to be around wise old people who because they can accept themselves for who they are, can accept me for who I am.
How does this square with the claim in the title "Why Old People Get No Respect"? Seems to me that you are respecting some old people. Or do you see most of them not being what you want them to be?

Quote:
I don't need someone telling me what to do or how to do it. I don't need advise. But what I do need is someone who can accept me and encourage me. Someone who believes that I have the tools within me to figure it all out.
But the old people I come in contact with are bitter. They are complaining. And the very fact that they have so much anger, so much discontent, tells me that they have not found acceptance. That they have not found serenity. That in their 60+ years of life they have not mastered it.

It makes me feel that instead of facing their adversity, they instead numbed themselves with alcohol, television, unhealthy relationships, drugs, etc. And as a result they did not grow. They stayed adult children. And now in their old age they have no more wisdom than an 18 year old.[/quote]

I don't know what types of 60+ people in your life. Maybe most 60+ types you met are what you say they are. But they certainly aren't like most of the one's I've seen - even in my younger days. So who's right? You or Me? or are we both not seeing representative samples of 60 and overs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCow
Sorry to be harsh, but its' their own damn fault that they have no value. And it is not too late for anyone to start facing the negative within them instead of spraying it all over the place.
They must have value to somebody, unless you can prove to me that you are of sufficient status to declare yourself the main arbiter of value of a human being. Beyond this, such people deserve patience and compassion, not judgmentalism and blame. Why not make an effort to ask why such people are that way, and better yet, get to know them and to understand why they have the perspective they do, and do so without harsh, cocky judgmentalism (as though you and people like you are the ultimate judge of a person's life worth). Maybe it had to do with circumstances somehow beyond their capacity to overcome.

Maybe the correct approach is that rather than assume mainstream standards for judging a person are proven beyond all reasonable doubt, think in terms of how mainstream attitudes may be contributing to their problems - especially in terms of stigmatizing people who are "weak", "whiners", "losers" (meaningless phrase used to denote kneejerk personal distaste and little, if anything, else), "weirdoes", etc. Modern society still has hangups on race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and such. Why should I believe modern ideas of "disrespect-worthy person" are perfect the way they are even today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,056,677 times
Not wanting to address a laundry list of issues, just a few points:

1. You get the respect you earn. That's age independent.

2. Nobody has the right to criticize the hobbies and pastimes of other people. It's an individual's prerogative to decide what they want to do with their spare time. All it needs to do is make them happy. Doesn't matter whether it makes other people happy, none of their business.

3. Seniors are valuable because they earned it. If they didn't earn anything, didn't make any retirement plans, then they are just like any other poor people with bad planning. Being a senior sums up your life. If you led a good one, became a good person, planned your retirement finances, then you are a good and happy retiree! Congratulations!

4. I don't hear a lot of "old people" complaining. See #3 above and note that the life you led leads to the life you get. You'll be happy if you worked for it. You'll be unhappy if you gave the future no thought. If you did the latter then you are probably bitter, and bitter people whine. Myself, I have no patience for whiners at any age.

The following applies to people of all ages:

You deserve the life you have. You were born and if lucky had good parents. Almost everybody in US has the opportunity to attend school. Nobody can force you to learn. They offer it and it is up to you to accept it or smoke dope out behind the gym. You get the opportunity to choose the people who you associate with. Pick toxic people (like drug users or gang bangers) and you'll become toxic. Hang with the academic kids like I did and you'll likely go to college, where they teach the real big time skills. Or go the vocational route and learn a trade. Doctor, lawyer, engineer, drywaller, carpenter, jeweler, musician, journalist, locksmith, whatever. Learn something that can't be taught on the job in your first few weeks. Learn nothing and you can get paid minimum wage as a hamburger flipper or fry cook. Or go to culinary school and become a great chef! — This is life! You get to choose whether to apply yourself and learn valuable skills, or you can become a banger or a hamburger flipper or mow lawns.

We have freedom. Freedom includes the choice to cram your head with valuable skills but it also includes the choice to stick drugs in your body and become a criminal. By the way, crime doesn't pay (except perhaps a very few at the top). Most criminals spend more labor supporting themselves with crime than honest people spend on the job, particularly when you include the criminal's time-outs during their periodic incarcerations. Hey, get a tat in prison! Then you can be sure you'll have less of a chance to get a good job.

By the way, those criminals at the top? They know they have made the big time when they end up in US SuperMax prisons!

My philosophy: You get the life you earned. You are the person you chose to become. If you have a problem with any of that, go look in the mirror. Blame that person you see there.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 PM

1,040 posts, read 868,994 times
As an old person, sometimes I have to wave my arms a bit for people to notice that I am not 'invisible" but after that, I feel very respected.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,056,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
As an old person, sometimes I have to wave my arms a bit for people to notice that I am not 'invisible" but after that, I feel very respected.
Gestures work better.

Hold up your hand with your palm facing your face, fold down your middle finger towards your palm, then say, "Hey idiot, can you read between the lines?"

If they flip you back you say, "What? Is that your age or is it your IQ?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology