Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:50 PM

723 posts, read 565,711 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, having children was never on my life's to-do list, but my then-husband promised he would help (lie #1), said raising them together would be rewarding and fun (lie #2), and insisted that, if we ever wanted anyone sitting around our Thanksgiving table in 20 years, I had to give birth (lie #3). I gave in and had two beautiful, perfect babies.

Today, my two nearly-grown children are wonderful people, solid citizens, and they will both make a positive contribution to society, but there were many times if I could have wished them into nonexistence, I happily would have. I am just not hard-wired for child rearing, I guess. Not everyone is.

So my advice to anyone considering bringing children into this world is you better really, really, really want it. Because raising them successfully to adulthood is hard work and no fun, and once you start down this path there is no going back. If you are the slightest bit ambivalent about it, don't do it.

I think if more parents spoke honestly about their feelings towards having and raising children, there would be less sugar coating of the experience, and possibly fewer unwanted children would be born into this world. That would be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 02:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,274,679 times
I'm 28, have no kids and don't plan on having them.. Never once felt isolated.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:37 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,483,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
In all honesty, having children was never on my life's to-do list, but my then-husband promised he would help (lie #1), said raising them together would be rewarding and fun (lie #2), and insisted that, if we ever wanted anyone sitting around our Thanksgiving table in 20 years, I had to give birth (lie #3). I gave in and had two beautiful, perfect babies.

Today, my two nearly-grown children are wonderful people, solid citizens, and they will both make a positive contribution to society, but there were many times if I could have wished them into nonexistence, I happily would have. I am just not hard-wired for child rearing, I guess. Not everyone is.

So my advice to anyone considering bringing children into this world is you better really, really, really want it. Because raising them successfully to adulthood is hard work and no fun, and once you start down this path there is no going back. If you are the slightest bit ambivalent about it, don't do it.

I think if more parents spoke honestly about their feelings towards having and raising children, there would be less sugar coating of the experience, and possibly fewer unwanted children would be born into this world. That would be a good thing.
Always refreshing to hear an honest opinion. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2017, 02:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
Quote:
Hard work and no fun?

Hmm, guess I must be doing it wrong then.

Don't get me wrong, it definitely is hard work, and sure, there are plenty of times when it's not fun. And there are many other times when it's more fun than I could have ever imagined. At least for me, the good times far outweigh the bad.

I do think that people should make an informed choice on whether or not to become a parent, but I think this post is an unduly harsh description and not necessarily a reflection of reality.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:42 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,165,927 times
Quote:
Word!

...and always remember, only unpalatable things need sugar coating.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,599,297 times
Hard work and layers of stress and then there are the grandkids and the concern for them.....Since we can't do life over, I'm glad I had only 1.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,223,227 times
Not having children is the best choice I have ever made. It allowed me to achieve financial security--and with it incredible freedom of lifestyle--very early (despite ridiculous taxation), and I more than met all my need to nurture by giving wonderful lives to delightful dogs. I now have the freedom to reward my nieces and nephews with things they deserve but could not afford, and to support the charities that I find most important. My spouse and I have also have done more to "preserve the planet" than any family with children could hope to do (no matter how much they devoted their lives to recycling and being "green" and such).

No matter how old I live to be, there will be people I can help with charity or generously-compensated employment, and there always be others who have lost all their family members for one reason or another--and then they will become my "family." Being adopted, I know that love is not dependent on biological links.

Too many people fall for the propaganda that you cannot be happy without having children. For many people, having children made their lives much LESS happy than they otherwise would have been--some kids are born sociopaths, or with mental illnesses that destroy the family they are attached to.

Science has done many studies and concluded that you will be just as happy/unhappy with or without children (unless you fixate on wanting them but can't have them, or something self defeating like that); you are born with a biological happiness "set-point" and you can research many methods to increase your happiness level above that biological starting point.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,798,554 times
I think it's unusual that so many of your peers have already started families. For me, I'd say it's the exact opposite. Easily 50% or more of my cousins, friends, and acquaintances I went to school with have never had children and likely never will (we're in our late 40s/early 50s). I work in a profession in which more than half, if not 2/3, of my coworkers have no children and likely never will.

So, as a mother of 3, I've often felt very isolated. Alone. Sometimes, even a bit of an odd ball. It's only in the last couple of years, since my kids have become more independent and more involved in their own lives, that I feel that I'm again part of a wider, more connected "society."

As a child-free couple in your early 30s, you're part of the majority in your age group, so try not to sweat it (too much).

Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Hard work and no fun?

Hmm, guess I must be doing it wrong then.

Don't get me wrong, it definitely is hard work, and sure, there are plenty of times when it's not fun. And there are many other times when it's more fun than I could have ever imagined. At least for me, the good times far outweigh the bad.

I do think that people should make an informed choice on whether or not to become a parent, but I think this post is an unduly harsh description and not necessarily a reflection of reality.
Eh. It's her reality.

It's certainly not mine, which is more reflective of your experience, where the benefits more than outweigh how hard it can be, easily. But it's totally understandable to me that this isn't everyone's reality.

But, yeah...I feel like if you're raising kids, and is literally no fun, your probably have some major problems with how you're going about it. You're doing something wrong.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,182,999 times
OP it's very common to have your biological clock kick in. If you are up for it there is nothing like parenting. It's the hardest job you will ever love, to borrow a phrase from the Marine Corps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology