Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way.. I often anonymously share details of my life or the way I think online than I do with people I interact with offline on a regular basis. I think it easier to cut off anonymous online "relationships" that go south than to have to deal with people that you see everyday knowing something private or embarrassing in your life. A lot of times, I get blunt but constructive feedback online (not just on this forum) that I've taken to better myself in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I am not sure there is a norm. Probably some share personally more and other share online more.

I am careful of my privacy on this forum. But I am careful of my privacy in person too.

I have disclosed a few things here that I simply do not talk about in person. But I talk in person about other things.

For me, I think it is a toss up.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:25 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
My instinct is that it's a lot more common with younger people.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I'm a pretty open book regardless, but in person there are some folks I can look at and tell just from their appearance that they might be of a less accepting mindset and there are things I could talk about that would make them very uncomfortable, so if we are barely just acquainted, then I don't.

I don't care about people gossiping about me, or anyone's moralistic judgments of me, I only care that I don't want to make other people feel uncomfortable, with the things I might say.

If I get a sense that a person is open-minded and I can tell them stuff, then there's a good chance I will overshare. There are many things about my life that most would consider to be shockingly private that I have zero shame about and no problem discussing with anyone, online or offline, just as long as I'm not making them uncomfortable with it.

So I might do this somewhat more online, only because I don't have the visual cues of someone expressing discomfort to put the brakes on and shut me up, necessarily.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 AM

1,093 posts, read 581,235 times
I can relate to this. I've always tended to be overly concerned about what people think of me, and that can sometimes make it a challenge to share really personal things face-to-face. Meanwhile, if I'm banging out my problem on a keyboard for someone to read when I'm not there, it comes very easily.

It does help to develop a sense of how people react to certain things. If, for example, you have a very sensitive personal matter you're dealing with, and a friend who tends to brush things off or who doesn't tend to show much sympathy, you probably don't want to discuss this matter with him/her. Once you figure this out, it becomes easier to share when you need to.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I think so too...the young have grown up with all the social media outlets...don't seem very protective of their privacy.

Think sexting photos, twitter postings of exactly where and what they are doing any given minute.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
My instinct is that it's a lot more common with younger people.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am not sure there is a norm. Probably some share personally more and other share online more.

I am careful of my privacy on this forum. But I am careful of my privacy in person too.

I have disclosed a few things here that I simply do not talk about in person. But I talk in person about other things.

For me, I think it is a toss up.
I would think it's safer to anonymously declare your political views online than to state them straight up in front of your friends or coworkers or even on Facebook. As long as you're careful not to break the law with what you're posting and to not give away details about who you are in real life, I don't think there's a risk, am I not mistaken?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times
I am a pretty private person IRL who isn't all that great at expressing feelings and I don't reveal a lot about myself unless I have know you forever. LOL, okay not forever but for quite a while. I used to be the person who would just reveal everything but that has gotten me burned over the years so I have learned to be careful

I am generally more outspoken online than in person and I don't mean that in the troll-ish sort of way. I don't feel comfortable many times talking about politics, religion...etc with people I know. I personally don't have an issue with it because I am open to other views and it's pretty hard to offend me but so many people seem to avoid topics outside of the usual ones like how the weather is and how the family is doing I enjoy talking about the kinds of topics that make most people uncomfortable and online I've found others who also enjoy doing this.

I can still hold regular conversations and frequently do with people face-to-face.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:50 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
It depends on the topic and the audience.

I have a long list of topics I won't ever discuss in real life with acquaintances. Money, politics, religion, and relationships top the list.

I have a far smaller inner circle of long time close friends where I cover more personal topics but even there, I filter pretty carefully depending on the person.

Online, I'm happy to cover religion and politics topics I'd never dream of discussing in real life.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:45 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
I describe all sorts of bizarre and disturbing things about myself online. You people don't care. I'm just some faceless internet person, but it's a nice way to learn about others' opinions, get useful feedback, and have an outlet for some of my more bizarre ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology