Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:19 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Welfare is different from sponging because someone voluntarily supports the sponger, it is quite a libertarian arrangement.
A deadbeat is still a deadbeat. A troll is still a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 11:22 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
A deadbeat is still a deadbeat. A troll is still a troll.
And the Venn diagram overlaps pretty frequently.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:31 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
This is an interesting topic, OP. This reminds me of a friend of mine, who enjoys provoking people. I had to avoid him for years, because normal conversation wasn't possible. And you're right; true to the form you point out, he couldn't take criticism, even constructive criticism. He'd expect others to take his put-downs, but would kick and scream if anyone turned the tables on him, to try to send a message. He never got the message.

In some cases like this, it's combined with narcissism. Narcissists notoriously are thin-skinned, even as they dish out criticism to others. And of course, they harbor feelings of superiority over others, believing that most people (those who disagree with them) are ignorant or deluded.

Could your acquaintance be a narcissist? What was he like when he was employed? Was he thin-skinned then, too? Trollish? It's sad. I don't know how people like this manage to have any friends, but they do. I guess those are the people who agree with their views. They can pretend together that they're an exclusive club of Enlightened Ones, and laugh at everyone else.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
I've been called a troll twice - once on a big box pet store discussion forum. Subforum for rodents. i wanted to know if there was another alternative litter that's better at keeping rodent odor down than cedar shavings, since I don't really like that scent. Word to the wise - don't ask that question of dedicated rodent lovers. They will run you off the board on rails.

The second time was an anxiety forum that I had joined and immediately people said um we know who you are, you can't change names and expect to disguise yourself. Then after several exchanges a very peaceloving peacekeeper on the forum (there are always those!) said look, you're absolutely welcome to post here, your input is fine, but just know we know you are _____ with a different handle.

So. I'm a little forgiving when someone is called a troll. Sometimes, they aren't. They're sincere.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:46 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've been called a troll twice - once on a big box pet store discussion forum. Subforum for rodents. i wanted to know if there was another alternative litter that's better at keeping rodent odor down than cedar shavings, since I don't really like that scent. Word to the wise - don't ask that question of dedicated rodent lovers. They will run you off the board on rails.

The second time was an anxiety forum that I had joined and immediately people said um we know who you are, you can't change names and expect to disguise yourself. Then after several exchanges a very peaceloving peacekeeper on the forum (there are always those!) said look, you're absolutely welcome to post here, your input is fine, but just know we know you are _____ with a different handle.

So. I'm a little forgiving when someone is called a troll. Sometimes, they aren't. They're sincere.
Gawd, it's a cesspool out there, on the interwebzz! But this is about people who troll others to get a reaction IRL. Very obnoxious. People who deliberately go through life in porcupine mode, shooting bristles at people, for the fun of it.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:10 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gawd, it's a cesspool out there, on the interwebzz! But this is about people who troll others to get a reaction IRL. Very obnoxious. People who deliberately go through life in porcupine mode, shooting bristles at people, for the fun of it.
And then there's guys like this:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...age-38-n805061

Sounds like a pretty sad person who just wanted to spread his own turmoil and self-loathing to others.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM

923 posts, read 1,501,825 times
I know someone like this. He is always poking fun and stirring the pot, but it occurred to me one day that he was doing it to steer the conversation away from himself.

Btw, I know you're talking about "in person" trolling, but check this out (I couldn't stop laughing):

24 Comments That Prove Ken M Is The Greatest Troll On The Internet | SMOSH

Old 09-27-2017, 04:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Progressives laud LBJ's Great Society so why shouldn't she admire a deadbeat?
Why shouldn't he walk the walk and stand on his on to. Apparently Cons like getting free stuff too.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Welfare is different from sponging because someone voluntarily supports the sponger, it is quite a libertarian arrangement.
Libertarians also criticize 40 year old men who live at home with Mama. Let's not move the goalposts here. If you preach self-sufficiency and independence then be self-sufficient. Don't mooch off the state or family and friends.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:27 PM

Regardless of political leanings, I've noticed the same behavior OP. Most people who pride themselves on telling it like it is and offending people can't take having their less than finer character flaws thrown back at them. Then when this is pointed out to them they come up with some excuse on why it's different and why their hurt feelings are more valid than everyone else's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology