Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:43 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of a lady friend of mine...RIP.
Her daughter was having her child's first bday party at the park, and she was inviting 100 people. And I thought that was excessive...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 03:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I think part of the reason is because many narcissists are also sociopaths, and sociopaths tend to be very charismatic and manipulative. .
Right. And a lot of people can't see through it. I think people who like narcissists are very simple-minded. They fall easily for a charming personality and smile. They also tend to shun introverts and won't invest time in getting to know them.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:43 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
We don't.... we just think that everyone likes us.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:48 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
My mother was a narcissist. It was appalling to see how many "friends" she attracted, and threw them around like cards. One minute she was having friends over, then suddenly they disappeared forever. One time she got in the news. So glad that they are out of my life.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
Yea I think thats what it is. The charming aspect of a narcissist. They are constantly putting on facade so it may be easier for them to make friends. I just don't see how people can't see through it. Maybe it's because I have known her for a long time so I can gauge that.

The thing is, it isn't a gala. Her and her fiance don't live an extravagant financial life(they actually consider themselves humble in that sense). Aldo she recently made a go fund me account for "pregnancy expenses" so I doubt she's forking over anywhere close to 10k-20k for her baby shower.
This! They're able to be superficially charming or interesting (often parroting other people's observations or comments, because they have no true insights of their own), but people eventually see through them, or get tired of their need for attention, and drift away. They may have a small core of friends who are similar to them, and they stroke each other's egos.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:38 PM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
The way to get so many likes is to befriend thousands of random people. If you want that, spend an hour every day to send friend requests to as many people as possible. For example, the friends list of your existing friends.

Then post pictures of cute animals, babies and feel good messages. Don’t post anything controversial.

After a few months you will also be able to invite 300+ people if that’s your thing.

The narcissist worked this. This didn’t just happen.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:40 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
As a layman, I am very cautious about diagnosing myself and others with personality disorders. Yes, I am capable of reading the DSM V. Yes, I have brushed up against a few people in my life I "strongly suspect" have disorders, specifically Borderline Personality Disorder and (whatever they call) Psychopathy and (ditto) Autism Spectrum disorder(s). It seems to me the latter is rampant in a tech center such as Seattle, judging only by the symptoms exhibited.

That's all my opinion, however. I have degrees in hard science, MIS, and business topics (finance, marketing, etc.) Not psychology or an M.D. (required for psychiatry).

What I understand about narcissists is that they are charming, but it's all about them in just about every way...

If I woman I knew threw a 300 person baby shower, and I were a woman, I'd be tempted a to go just for the gala. I wouldn't dwell on if someone is a "narcissist"; in my opinion that is borderline-rude.
Good points.
In the big picture, whether it's Superbowl, world-cup, holidays or things like this baby shower, deep down, they are just excuses to connect with others.
Yes, there are the few odd ones who have a shrine of superbowl idols to worship, but most people don't really think about the details of these events as much as the spirit and how they get together with others.

In a way, this woman may be "damned if she does or damned if she doesn't.
Maybe she (or others who've made mass invitations) didn't want to hurt anyone by leaving them out - and she knew that it'd be better to invite even when she knew most couldn't come. The "go-fund me" seems a bit narcissistic though - but then again, it's a more techy version of a baby shower.

I see narcisistic behavior as things like:
  • Dominating the conversation
    Demanding
    Not reciprocating
    Seem unable to empathize - inconsiderate
    Letting pride keep them from self-awareness

A couple other things to consider... Each of us have acted narcissistic at times (think of wedding day).
And sometimes birth-order - especially youngest may seem narcissistic but they do care and can empathize - it's just that they were raised having people do more for them than they do for others, so they can be a bit oblivious.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:39 PM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Now, the definition of narcissist has been stretched a lot lately too - has she done anything else besides this? Lots of people arrange for "gift grabs" and Facebook makes it easy to set up - that doesn't make them all narcissists - just greedy.
Its not the greedy factor, its the point that she believes the world revolves around her and everyone should stop doing what they are doing to cater to her.

Honestly who invites 300 people to their baby shower? Isn't a baby shower suppose to be intimate? How can a baby shower be intimate with 300 people showing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Right. And a lot of people can't see through it. I think people who like narcissists are very simple-minded. They fall easily for a charming personality and smile. They also tend to shun introverts and won't invest time in getting to know them.
YES! If they can't get something out of you, or you don't provide something to boost their self esteem or their ego.....you're clearly not wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This! They're able to be superficially charming or interesting (often parroting other people's observations or comments, because they have no true insights of their own), but people eventually see through them, or get tired of their need for attention, and drift away. They may have a small core of friends who are similar to them, and they stroke each other's egos.
So true. You explained her personality perfectly.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I'm for sure my friend is a narcissist. She is having a baby shower, she invited 300 people. 300 freaking people. She made a website dedicated to her baby shower. It has three registrars on it and she has also made a calendar of days that people can dedicate their time to coming over and helping with the baby once the baby is here. She also states flights are cheap right now so people should try to fly out for if they can.

IT'S A FREAKING BABY SHOWER! I'm just wondering how so many people can just go along with this. Her guestbook is flooded with comments from people.

I want to know how someone like this has been able to keep a wide variety of friends.
She's throwing herself a baby shower?
Is that even legal?

sorry. "legal" was the word that popped into my head for some reason so I went with it.

Anyway, isn't a friend supposed to throw the baby shower FOR you?
That's kind of weird. and 300 people? wowie.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
She's throwing herself a baby shower?
Is that even legal?

sorry. "legal" was the word that popped into my head for some reason so I went with it.

Anyway, isn't a friend supposed to throw the baby shower FOR you?
That's kind of weird. and 300 people? wowie.
At the very least, throwing your own baby shower qualifies as a personal foul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology