Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:16 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I'm for sure my friend is a narcissist. She is having a baby shower, she invited 300 people. 300 freaking people. She made a website dedicated to her baby shower. It has three registrars on it and she has also made a calendar of days that people can dedicate their time to coming over and helping with the baby once the baby is here. She also states flights are cheap right now so people should try to fly out for if they can.

IT'S A FREAKING BABY SHOWER! I'm just wondering how so many people can just go along with this. Her guestbook is flooded with comments from people.

I want to know how someone like this has been able to keep a wide variety of friends.
Narcissistic people do seem to have a lot of friends. What they really have in an entourage of people who are their to compliment them, do them favors, and in general, bolster their egos.

The relationships are rather superficial, as you might expect.

There is actually a term that I learned for this circle of friends "narcissistic orbit". Those in the "narcissistic orbit" are often drawn to the narcissist because that person is charming, witty, knows when to give a well placed compliment and occasionally is a celebrity of some sort.

Narcissists could not live without their admiring posse. hey give them just enough to keep them "hanging on".

A narc without an admiring posse is like the moon without the sun. Thy bask in the light of their reflected glory, but would grow dark without them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
On Facebook, I have noticed that there are people who will post selfies of themselves, constantly and get hundreds of "likes" and even hearts - all from the same people - and there are other people who just brag constantly, and again, get all kinds of "likes" and support and people tell them how wonderful they are. I totally do not get it.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I'm for sure my friend is a narcissist. She is having a baby shower, she invited 300 people. 300 freaking people. .
Lol...she is one smart lady.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
On Facebook, I have noticed that there are people who will post selfies of themselves, constantly and get hundreds of "likes" and even hearts - all from the same people - and there are other people who just brag constantly, and again, get all kinds of "likes" and support and people tell them how wonderful they are. I totally do not get it.
I have friends like this too. They love to put selfies pics on fb an crave the likes, thumbs up, you are beautiful...etc comments. And they do it often. I sometimes look at these pics and say to myself...why the flying F would you put that picture on.lol. But I am very critical to my own looks, I guess Im insecure that way.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:04 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,698 times
IMO, OP just badly envies this "300 people baby shower" organizer. Acid eats her stomach as she realizes she won't be able to bring 20.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:19 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
IMO, OP just badly envies this "300 people baby shower" organizer. Acid eats her stomach as she realizes she won't be able to bring 20.
IMO, you have a little trouble with reading comprehension. OP said this woman INVITED 300 people, not that they were coming.

But I'm sure that post made you feel superior for a few seconds, so hey, Happy Friday to you!

Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
The narcissist doesn't have more friends. Or many friends. Or even "some" friends...

Not in the true sense of "what is a friend ", at least. They DO have many acquaintances & they are very good at maintaining a "map" in their head, sort of like the social media "friend/mutual friend" tracking.

These are not the people who say things like "Sorry, I'm terrible with names!" ... Because they are excellent with names. Chances are, if you are in a position to be a beneficial contact at some point? They knew your name long before being introduced. If they are a true narcissistic? The introduction may not have even been random at all.

They are very good at "working" a crowd, raining intense attention in a few seconds on an individual before moving on to the next. The vast majority of those 300 wouldn't really be missed if a no-show; they are wanted there for the illusion of "I am a VIP", sort of like a grand opening with a packed parking lot. If one of those no-shows happens to be a key player? The narcissist will remember the slight for the next 50 years.

To be fair, most pregnant women do go through a bit of the "it's all about me" thing, it's a normal part of maternal psychology. But 300 attendees for a baby shower? Hope she has some good party favors!

Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Narcissistic people do seem to have a lot of friends. What they really have in an entourage of people who are their to compliment them, do them favors, and in general, bolster their egos.

The relationships are rather superficial, as you might expect.

There is actually a term that I learned for this circle of friends "narcissistic orbit". Those in the "narcissistic orbit" are often drawn to the narcissist because that person is charming, witty, knows when to give a well placed compliment and occasionally is a celebrity of some sort.

Narcissists could not live without their admiring posse. hey give them just enough to keep them "hanging on".

A narc without an admiring posse is like the moon without the sun. Thy bask in the light of their reflected glory, but would grow dark without them.

And it's sad to see when their SO is one of the members of that orbit. They are either very naive and can't recognize tje fact that this person is a fraud, or willfully blind to the narc's debit side and willing to put up with a lot of sh*t because the think the crumbs they get thrown are worth it.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:38 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
There is that saying "go big, or go home."

I am not friends with narcissists on facebook but many of my facebook friends receive likes for selfies and such. If I accidentally friended one of those people, I hide their news feed. It is very easy to tell who they are. If they send me an invitation, I don't bother to see how many people were invited. I decide whether I want to attend or not and I do not attend parties, showers or weddings of people I am not close to.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Sure...how many of these 300 "friends" will actually come? And bring a gift? These are not real friends - most of these are mere acquaintances, if that - so easy to say something nice online. If she is really a narcissist then few of these people know her at all - those that do have probably dropped her.

Now, the definition of narcissist has been stretched a lot lately too - has she done anything else besides this? Lots of people arrange for "gift grabs" and Facebook makes it easy to set up - that doesn't make them all narcissists - just greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology