Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:56 PM

34,815 posts, read 16,815,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And which millions of people are we going to get to watch over these millions of people? And what are they going to watch for and then do?
As I have repeatedly pointed out about other tragedies, the people involved in all of these killings were well-known to authority. It was obvious to all that knew them that none could function in society. Devin Kelley and Esteban Santiago were discharged from the military because of mental illness and violence. The list includes:
  1. Dylan Roofe (Charleston church massacre);
  2. Devin Kelley (Texas Church Massacre);
  3. Esteban Santiago (killed six people at Fort Lauderdale International Airport);
  4. Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook massacre);
  5. Jared Lochner (tried to kill Representative Gifford, killed many others;
  6. James Holmes (Colorado movie theater massacre;

And now Thousand Oaks.

As a community we need to be watching out for each other. I am not that religious but as G-d implicitly pointed out to Cain, yes, you are your "brother's keeper." Genesis 4:9 provides the Biblical link: "G-d said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" And he said "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As some have claimed in other threads - this is price we have to pay for THEIR 2nd Amendment rights. Freedom is not free. To these people that means OTHERS, usually innocents and often children, have to die for their unlimited gun rights.
The guns will all not magically disappear with the passage of a law. Yes, I favor banning AK-47's from civilian ownership but mostly because the passage of such a law makes us feel virtuous, not because it will really do any good.

Last edited by jbgusa; 11-10-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:37 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,886,519 times
Its not a problem in the brain. The problem is with his soul. The Bible says that man is inherently evil from birth. I've seen enough to confirm that God is true.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:56 AM

26,667 posts, read 26,664,480 times
We know little about this suspect so far.

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — A shooting at a Colorado supermarket killed 10 people Monday, including a police officer who was the first to respond to the scene, authorities said.

Police arrested a suspect, but didn’t reveal his name or any details about the shooting at an evening news conference where Boulder police Chief Maris Herold fought back tears.

https://time.com/5949162/mass-shooti...o-supermarket/

Old 03-23-2021, 09:03 AM

716 posts, read 424,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
They might also search for the answer about why are these mass slaughters common in the U.S., but not in other first world countries. I think there may be more psychology involved than the psychology of single individuals.
One of the main reasons for that is how readily available guns are in America. In Europe, at least in Greece and Germany where I have lived, it would be highly unlikely to find a gun owner.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:50 AM

19,514 posts, read 12,146,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
One of the main reasons for that is how readily available guns are in America. In Europe, at least in Greece and Germany where I have lived, it would be highly unlikely to find a gun owner.
This is Psychology - maybe take that other stuff to the Politics forum.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:28 PM

11,038 posts, read 6,597,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
Yes, very rare down here too. Hence, next to no gun crime.

Our neighbor here lives part time in Boulder as a first-responder. He was pretty broke up today and mourning "one of our own" that got taken down. Such unbelievably tragedy....over and over again....

Old 04-04-2021, 07:39 AM

26,667 posts, read 26,664,480 times
“It hurts me even more knowing my ex-husband was capable of doing such a horrible thing, I can’t understand what went through his head to make such a terrifying decision,” said Aleyda Mendoza, the ex-wife of a man accused of killing four people in a mass shooting this past week in Orange County, California.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/03/3...victims-found/

Old 04-04-2021, 01:50 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,022,964 times
This topic can be discussed in every thread so trying to stay within the rules may be tough.

There is so much going on in the our country and the world today across every topic;
immigration, terrorism, wars, human trafficking, gun violence, health care, income disparity, global warming,
government corruption, corporate corruption, economy, right to die, education, slavery, police abuse, racism, etc.

All this and more can only be taken for so long until someone just doesn't care anymore.

I think back to the Las Vegas shooting everytime I see another mass shooting and nothing was done about it.

Our Capitol was invaded and the people in charge try to talk it away as it wasn't a big deal.

It is blatantly obvious to me what is pushing these people over the edge, corruption across the board. Fix the above and we will stop training the next generation how to hate and be corrupt.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:25 AM

5,381 posts, read 3,868,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
By the definition of human nature, and why we are the dominant species over time, I agree. But I think knowledge and evolution have changed perception and reality.

If you read my prior post I am trying not to tag it as an illness. Defective doesn't necessarily mean mentally ill. Take my own heart issue for example, SVT. After many visits to the cardiologist and electrophysiologist, they pinpointed a spot in one of the two electrical signal loops around my heart which can be cauterized to potentially stop SVT episodes. That's the evolution of medicine. The brain being exponentially more complex means we just haven't developed the technology to read all of the various signals in the brain. All I am saying is maybe in the future one could find a broken signal and fix it like the heart. Pure speculation on my part.
Hypothetically, in the future, something like this could be done, yes. Certainly nowhere near that in the present.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:30 AM

5,381 posts, read 3,868,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do chimps commit mass murder of their own?
They certainly commit murder:

'But rather than having deep implications for human nature, the authors of the new study suggest that chimpanzee homicide - which previous research has estimated to occur at a similar rate to that seen in hunter-gatherer human societies - goes up and down as a simple consequence of competition for resources.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29237276
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology