Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:16 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yet you have 8,600+ points as per this post.

Guessing you care about the quality of your posts, rep points are our indicator that we are succeeding.
Moderator cut: deleted
I get where you're coming from, despite the negative feedback on this comment. Risque sex references aside, I think that most people do care about rep points. However, the rep point system can be skewed depending on where you spend most of your time. If I recall, Politics only allows for 1 rep point, while other sub forums allow for up to 5 rep points per member giving you the rep.

I have received far more reputation points on the General Forums than I have on the Local Forums, which tend to be occupied by smaller groups of regulars. Particularly if you are not a popular poster there, then you likely aren't going to be accruing many rep points. It'd be cool if there were analytics on this, then you could really learn to milk the system. Just kidding.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 05-19-2018 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 03:20 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I hear you Left-handed...

I find it also very difficult to inspire the "muse" or foster creativity on the forums. One forum I post on has a Joke Thread where people mostly post videos, comics and photo's of what they deem humorous, none of this material is original. Nearly all joke material poke fun at other people and categories, there is no "lateral" humor, or laughing at one's self (or one's particular category).

I have posted original material and much of it "lateral" in nature and have encouraged others to do so to no avail...

I once started a thread on the "Cats" forum to encourage posters to see cats in functional art (English Pub Signs and turn of the century Advertising Signs). It garnered ONE response... Yet a thread on cat films or movies can go 6 pages and over 50 responses! I'm sure "That Darned Cat" was an entertaining film, but films are entertainment fiction, the Pub and Advertising signs were/are real and functional.

I used to enjoy photo's of the Aurora Borealis on the Alaska Forum, only to discover the regular posters of these photo's stopped posting because their photo's were being stolen and were showing up on travel sites, etc. It turns out many of these posters have "fled" to Facebook and hardly post on C-D anymore.

I have been going "Topside" more lately and getting out of the Dungeon. Some great photo's still exist on other State/City/Country forums, and I find most of the folks very nice. People seem to really appreciate it when you express an interest or admiration of where they live. I'm thinking of heading over to the Canada Forum and inquire if anyone still pans for gold in the Yukon (and if they would tell me their spot...) or what their favorite Robert Service poem/story is.

So C-D is still a goldmine of good information and human interaction, one just has to seek it out, I suppose...
Problem I see is that controversy and drama stir up the most interaction. Now, I use the term 'problem' loosely, because it's more of a problem for people who want serious, civil, and intellectual discussion. The controversy and drama is actually great for the forum, because it equates to more mouse clicks and page views, which is a major selling point to to advertisers ("Look at how many people visit/use our site daily!").

I've tried bringing attention to this, but it mostly falls on deaf ears or is met with resistance from status quo posters and other shills.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,056,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I have received far more reputation points on the General Forums than I have on the Local Forums, which tend to be occupied by smaller groups of regulars.
I rarely visit local area sections unless it's mine and (1) I have a question, or (2) care to help a few non-locals.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:46 PM

803 posts, read 680,591 times
I feel that if there was a "Wanderer" category, I would fit right into it. I know some stuff about some things, and I do check into my home state's forum pretty regularly, but mainly I just peruse C-D in search of an interesting-looking thread, observe what others have to say regarding the given topic, and occasionally add my input. I might follow the thread for a couple of days, then I leave and venture out to another section of the forum. So on and so forth

Old 05-21-2018, 01:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,021,550 times
Nomadic troll here. I started by asking a genuine question, then started anserwing about whatever I knew about Houston, Auto, Work & Employment etc . But now I am now going downhill with meaningless arguments in POC and with fundies who refuse to learn anything outside their syllabus. Reserve my trolls specifically those "high horse" riders , but try to make a genuine funny comment where possible.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,046,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I didn't see a name for the type of poster that seems obligated ( or personally compelled) to reply to almost every post they come across.
My hope is that this thread is seen as interactive and inspirational, so please do not hesitate to formulate a name and more detailed description of this category of C-D member. I try to be both responsible and responsive with any thread I originate, so I may, at least in that mode, occupy this category on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I feel that if there was a "Wanderer" category, I would fit right into it. I know some stuff about some things, and I do check into my home state's forum pretty regularly, but mainly I just peruse C-D in search of an interesting-looking thread, observe what others have to say regarding the given topic, and occasionally add my input. I might follow the thread for a couple of days, then I leave and venture out to another section of the forum. So on and so forth
You've provided a category name and enough description here that I may place this into a formal type, submitted for your approval, without necessarily analyzing or designing the category myself...

"Wanderer"

A nomadic poster at heart, the wanderer has varied interests while adopting a "less is more" attitude regarding posting. As with experienced musicians who know not to play too many notes in a musical composition, the wanderer will observe a topic or thread, following the "flow" of the comments and adding input where he or she feels it would add to the general discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Nomadic troll here. I started by asking a genuine question, then started anserwing about whatever I knew about Houston, Auto, Work & Employment etc . But now I am now going downhill with meaningless arguments in POC and with fundies who refuse to learn anything outside their syllabus. Reserve my trolls specifically those "high horse" riders , but try to make a genuine funny comment where possible.
LOL... You must know arguments that blend politics/controversy in with religious fundamentalism are likely to be a roller coaster ride and "hamster wheel" rolled into one... Actually both go round in circles and wind up in the same place, the coaster just has more peaks and valleys.

Technically, you are not "trolling" by making aggressive and potentially offensive comments in a hotly debated topic unless you are deliberately doing so to cause strife or "get someone's goat". So if you are calling a "High Horse Rider" to task provocatively it creates a grey area regarding trolling.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,263,423 times
I'm a curious amalgam of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology