Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 01:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 887,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I can tell you one thing, discussing politics makes people angry. People who need to take every opportunity to drag politics into a discussion either in real life or on the web are angry people. There is a time and place for it.
I understand your point of view. I just don't get angry about it. Politics is not my life, I absolutely will not debate about it, my views are my business. I vote and I care, but to get so embroiled that I become a seething monster? Nope. Not interested in that. This thread is about why our society seems so angry today. Not everyone, thank goodness! But a lot more than I've ever seen in my life. A lot of people seem out of control and driven by hatred:

There was a woman texting while driving in New Orleans ... which if you've ever driven there you KNOW texting isn't a good idea ... she was weaving all over the road. At a stoplight, a driver pulled up beside her and signaled for her to roll her window down, she did. He very kindly (and rightfully) told her to stop, that she was going to cause an accident. Well you wouldn't believe the angry tirade she went off on ... cussing and hollering about it being "none of his blankety blank business!!!!"

That attitude, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM

23,964 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Think about how a great many Americans began their lives. They were stuck in daycare kennels, as babies and as toddlers. They had to DEFEND THEMSELVES against aggression. It is not normal for young primates to have to defend themselves. The norm, is for mothers and family members to protect their young.

In order to survive, children parked in Daycare, had to become hardened and aggressive (and utterly, absolutely selfish), AS TINY CHILDREN. They were, effectively robbed of their humanity. There is nothing inside many such people, but little balls of fear and anger. They have been robbed of empathy, and see other people only as means to an end.
Bless you. I have thought this for 40 years. Why have children if you want to put them in daycare at age 6 weeks?

My daughter is a teacher at a play based high dollar pre school. They teach kids to problem solve by co operation within the group.

She sees this every year. Also, people want their kids reading at age 3 1/2. She tells those parents that the kid is only 36 months old. Worry about their SATs next year or, the next.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:07 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Think about how a great many Americans began their lives. They were stuck in daycare kennels, as babies and as toddlers. They had to DEFEND THEMSELVES against aggression. It is not normal for young primates to have to defend themselves. The norm, is for mothers and family members to protect their young.

In order to survive, children parked in Daycare, had to become hardened and aggressive (and utterly, absolutely selfish), AS TINY CHILDREN. They were, effectively robbed of their humanity. There is nothing inside many such people, but little balls of fear and anger. They have been robbed of empathy, and see other people only as means to an end.
Excellent observation and makes a lot of sense thank you for posting!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:24 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,185 times
It was either 2010 or 2011 when I noticed a lot of social pressure to get on FB. I'm glad the 2016 movie Snowden brought that point up, so it wasn't just my perspective.Shortly afterwards I felt basic empathy collapsed. People who weren't used to awful behavior and vitriolic arguments from who-knows-what-their-mental-state-is were shocked, and enthralled, and they carry that nasty behavior into public. There's been nasty people long before smartphones and social media, but the public's blind embrace of Internet communities really greased the rails.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
It was either 2010 or 2011 when I noticed a lot of social pressure to get on FB. I'm glad the 2016 movie Snowden brought that point up, so it wasn't just my perspective.Shortly afterwards I felt basic empathy collapsed. People who weren't used to awful behavior and vitriolic arguments from who-knows-what-their-mental-state-is were shocked, and enthralled, and they carry that nasty behavior into public. There's been nasty people long before smartphones and social media, but the public's blind embrace of Internet communities really greased the rails.
I know some people who have literally lost their minds because of Facebook content. They get into political arguments, conspiracy theories, start believing that the government is listening to their conversations, watching their house, etc. These were rational, kind people who you can no longer have a normal conversation with because they are so combative and paranoid. It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers ... they are that different.

I'm not on Facebook.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:14 PM

597 posts, read 1,442,539 times
Default I agree 100% with the OP

Just today I was reading about 2 men who punched a 75 yr old lady in the face because she had forgotten something and ran to get it and told the cashier to help the other people behind her. When she returned with her item and laid it on the counter, 2 teens punched her in the face for cutting in line. Naturally, no one helped her and no one knew the teens...even though they walked to the store and probably have been there 1,000 times.

Next, we have the rioting people at McDonalds because people waited in line for a sauce and they ran out. Tne people were attacking the workers. Tne police had to be called.

Next, we have yet another McDonald's attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vXSMP6U-yR4

I really blame all this BS on the breakdown of the family. I have a friend who works in labor and delivery. She said that in her hospital, 90% of the women are single and are on welfare. No one should be having babies without a way to pay for them and a partner. But we, as a society has made it 100% acceptable to have babies without money or a partner. Very sad.

People show no respect towards each other and notice how cashiers hardly say thank you....they act like they are doing you a favor.

People are thought of as cool when they break rules, attack teachers, bus drivers, older people,etc. Remember the "knock out game"?? No one was held accountable for that.

Look at politics.I don't care who the politician is, I would NEVER stand and scream at them, call them nasty names,etc. Vile nasty comments are spewed daily on the TV, newspaper, Internet and it is accepted and even encouraged. I have friends in other countries who are just taken back by the rudeness of Americans.

I really think that this country is just too far gone. I do not see how we can change the monster that our society has created.

I hope I am wrong, but I fear, I am not.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Just today I was reading about 2 men who punched a 75 yr old lady in the face because she had forgotten something and ran to get it and told the cashier to help the other people behind her. When she returned with her item and laid it on the counter, 2 teens punched her in the face for cutting in line. Naturally, no one helped her and no one knew the teens...even though they walked to the store and probably have been there 1,000 times.

Next, we have the rioting people at McDonalds because people waited in line for a sauce and they ran out. Tne people were attacking the workers. Tne police had to be called.

Next, we have yet another McDonald's attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vXSMP6U-yR4

I really blame all this BS on the breakdown of the family. I have a friend who works in labor and delivery. She said that in her hospital, 90% of the women are single and are on welfare. No one should be having babies without a way to pay for them and a partner. But we, as a society has made it 100% acceptable to have babies without money or a partner. Very sad.

People show no respect towards each other and notice how cashiers hardly say thank you....they act like they are doing you a favor.

People are thought of as cool when they break rules, attack teachers, bus drivers, older people,etc. Remember the "knock out game"?? No one was held accountable for that.

Look at politics.I don't care who the politician is, I would NEVER stand and scream at them, call them nasty names,etc. Vile nasty comments are spewed daily on the TV, newspaper, Internet and it is accepted and even encouraged. I have friends in other countries who are just taken back by the rudeness of Americans.

I really think that this country is just too far gone. I do not see how we can change the monster that our society has created.

I hope I am wrong, but I fear, I am not.
You are speaking my language!!! Rep x1,000 ... absolutely.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM

757 posts, read 837,110 times
Why anger?

Legal/illegal drugs
Selfishness/narcissism
Powerlessness/helplessness (put a gun in a hand and there is a power rush)
Frustration (play by rules and it does not work)
Demonic activity (if you accept such)
Society embraces violence from early age (guns and fists settle issues)
Response to bullying
Racism (from all races)
Media spawned (selective reporting, embellished reporting, bias reporting)

SLAPPED FACES NEVER FORGET.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Why anger?

Legal/illegal drugs
Selfishness/narcissism
Powerlessness/helplessness (put a gun in a hand and there is a power rush)
Frustration (play by rules and it does not work)
Demonic activity (if you accept such)
Society embraces violence from early age (guns and fists settle issues)
Response to bullying
Racism (from all races)
Media spawned (selective reporting, embellished reporting, bias reporting)

SLAPPED FACES NEVER FORGET.
All excellent.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
It is just a byproduct of a hyped up negative media. This is NEW to humans really. When I was growing up there was 1/2 hour local news and 1/2 hour world news and that was it. Heck it was a public service mandated by the FCC. Now it is 24 hours of hyped up crap and people have access to it on their mobile device and just look around, people are addicted to it. THAT is why there are so many people miserable. Look at all the protests. People just protest everything these days out of anger. I feel it is mostly all due to an out of control media. Did you know that there was a time when the media HAD to tell both sides for balance? That was a law that was removed by Regan I believe and then the likes of Rush Limbach and others started to make money on the BS they spewed. People wonder why so many are angry. No kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology