Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I haven't noticed it any more than usual. I use social media sparingly though. There has always been aggressive drivers. I still let people with few items cut in front of me and I still have people offer to let me cut in line if I have few items.

Look at this:

https://www.gofundme.com/dr2ks2-las-vegas-victims-fund
The helpers ... the love in our world ... all of that is so uplifting and encouraging to see. I just wish it didn't take horrible tragedies to get people to stop being so divisive. I thought 9/11 taught us something that would forever change us as a nation, but we're so far removed from those early days of patriotism and unity. It's tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 05:57 PM

204 posts, read 129,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
stan4 is certainly right about how technology has changed people especially social media. More and more people have developed this over inflated sense of self-importance. It goes beyond thinking their opinion is so important in the big scheme of the world to thinking their opinions are absolute infallible fact. Then there are those who are constantly seeking attention either by throwing pity parties to look for sympathy or trolling to stir up trouble instead of doing something more constructive with their time.
Excellent post, Ro, repped you for this one! The quoted part is something I've remarked on here a number of times recently. It's a sad state of affairs.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
The helpers, the love in our world, is always so uplifting and encouraging to see. I just wish it didn't take horrible tragedies to get people to stop being so divisive. I thought 9/11 taught us something that would forever change us as a nation, but we're so far removed from those early days of patriotism and unity. It's tragic.
I think the same thing. When 9/11 happened I thought how great it was that people came together and isn't it too bad they can't remember that the person in the next car is a real life human and cut them some slack on the freeway. I'm sure it reminds more people than just me.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:37 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
I have a few thoughts:

Quote:
A few examples:

Honking the horn immediately (I mean the very millisecond) when traffic light turns green.

More stresses on our time, but also a pathological need for instant gratification and a shorter attention span aggravated by constant stimuli from too much technology.

Not holding doors for other people, letting it slam on them.

The generations who emphasized the importance of better etiquette have passed on. The generation that is currently aging never had the same emphasis on this, which is even more greatly reflected in the lack of etiquette by some of their kids and grandkids. I think this also depends on the area you live in to some degree.

Cutting cars off in traffic when it is incredibly dangerous and life threatening to do so.

Driving 20 miles over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, again with no regard for the lives they are putting at risk.

Texting while driving, weaving into other lanes, no consideration for lives.

Lack of emphasis on driver education, lack of seriousness about operating a motor vehicle, lack of maturity in general, instant gratification problems, people being more overworked with lack of sleep, lax enforcement in some areas.

Customers getting outraged / creating a scene / violence over fast food.

Same lack of etiquette described above, lack of stable parental figures to show this is completely unacceptable, but instead emphasized "you deserve whatever you want".

Shooting people as a means to get a point across.

Lack of strong leadership to show this is wrong all the way from what happens (or doesn't happen) starting in one's home all the way up to the top public officials, complicated by the US being a pathologically aggressive culture in general, relative to other economically developed countries (step one foot onto my property, I'll shoot you. Even with parents dealing with younger people half joking, "bring my daughter home one minute late from a date, Daddy will be grabbing his gun", etc.)

People being ugly /nasty / baiting on discussion boards ... not joining a discussion in order to be helpful, but to be snarky, because they "feel like it" or enjoy creating drama.

Antagonists, pot stirrers who like to get under people's skin ... because they are angry and miserable.

Protesters and others like them who are perpetually outraged (and often violent) over one issue after another

People who yell ALL THE TIME. On the phone. In the store. In their yard (my neighbors). Just loud people who are always shouting at others. Fighting / arguing seems to be their default mechanism. Is it a chip on their shoulder? Do they need hearing aids? Why so angry?

See comment above about US being a generally aggressive culture, whether physically violent or lower levels of aggression, from the top down. Add to this the culture of rewarding people who are loud, obnoxious, and lack appropriate boundaries.

Pulling up in people's driveways and rudely honking incessantly, instead of going to the door like normal people.

See comment about lack of emphasis on etiquette and on letting it all hang out, because insisting on politeness is "politically correct".

Unable to have a normal friendly conversation with someone in a kind, relaxed manner. Everything is abrupt, frenzied / hurried, and on edge. As though people are an inconvenience.

Cussing people out when they don't get what they want, when they want it.

The two above do vary, in my opinion, from one region of the country to another, and how respectfully someone was raised. Plus the instant gratification of society, and the lack of good one-on-one communication versus distant, technological communication, including times when the former would be more appropriate. This makes the population generally more socially inept.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-03-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-03-2017, 07:50 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
OP, I was wondering the same thing. At the grocery store today, a man in front of me was buying a bottle of cough syrup. The cashier asked to see his ID. He started screaming, "I'm not a kid! I'm 65 years old!" He got completely huffy as if the store had just come up with this policy on its own. The cashier explained that it's a law (since kids were abusing the stuff). Why would the cashier/store want to take the extra time to check the ID? It doesn't benefit them in any way. I tried to explain to him why IDs are checked. He claimed that a competing store never checks. He left rather than buying it. It made me think of the Las Vegas shooting---if someone could get this bent out of shape about being asked for his ID, who knows what happened to the LV shooter?

I didn't get why it was such an imposition to pull his wallet out and show his ID. But what really tickled me was that he was buying cough syrup for either himself or someone else because presumably they were experiencing a cough and wanted some relief. That he chose to walk away without buying it makes me question how much of a need he or the other person really had for it.

There's a saying "would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?" This guy wanted to be "right" in that he was not going to cave in to what he thought was a horrible imposition. Did it make him happy to either do without the cough syrup or having to make a stop at another store? It wouldn't make me happy, but possibly he was happy being "right" and taking a stand...

Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I have a few thoughts:
Thank you, and I agree. It looks like most of the trouble stems from bad parenting.

We were brought up with very good manners, we practice them and have passed them on to our children -- so we are doing our part. There is hope for future generations if we keep teaching the importance of good manners and etiquette.

I teach a teen girls Sunday School class as well as a childrens program at church, and I talk a lot about manners, etiquette, and just generally being kind and thoughtful of others. It's just basic human decency, who knew it wasn't being taught and exemplified in homes? Shameful.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:55 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Didn't see a similar thread, so I'm starting one.

Why do so many people live angry these days? It's like they are all so tightly wound, in a hurry, selfish, get out of my way, no regard for the lives of other people. They drive angry. They speak angry. They look angry. They react to common situations with such hostility, they can barely muster civility to other human beings. Even watching the news has become stressful with the talking over each other, arguing to the point of hostility, cutting remarks and petty condescension.

So ... has our society always been like this? Cause it seems to be escalating all the time, especially the last 5 years.

A few examples:

Honking the horn immediately (I mean the very millisecond) when traffic light turns green.

Cutting cars off in traffic when it is incredibly dangerous and life threatening to do so.

Driving 20 miles over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, again with no regard for the lives they are putting at risk.

People being ugly /nasty / baiting on discussion boards ... not joining a discussion in order to be helpful, but to be snarky, because they "feel like it" or enjoy creating drama.

Antagonists, pot stirrers who like to get under people's skin ... because they are angry and miserable.

Protesters and others like them who are perpetually outraged (and often violent) over one issue after another

People who yell ALL THE TIME. On the phone. In the store. In their yard (my neighbors). Just loud people who are always shouting at others. Fighting / arguing seems to be their default mechanism. Is it a chip on their shoulder? Do they need hearing aids? Why so angry?

Pulling up in people's driveways and rudely honking incessantly, instead of going to the door like normal people.

Unable to have a normal friendly conversation with someone in a kind, relaxed manner. Everything is abrupt, frenzied / hurried, and on edge. As though people are an inconvenience.

News became 24/7 and we are always exposed to it. Life became so fast paced.

I love it when I travel somewhere and my cell phone can't get a signal.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Didn't see a similar thread, so I'm starting one.

Why do so many people live angry these days? It's like they are all so tightly wound, in a hurry, selfish, get out of my way, no regard for the lives of other people. They drive angry. They speak angry. They look angry. They react to common situations with such hostility, they can barely muster civility to other human beings. Even watching the news has become stressful with the talking over each other, arguing to the point of hostility, cutting remarks and petty condescension.

So ... has our society always been like this? Cause it seems to be escalating all the time, especially the last 5 years.

A few examples:

There were always jerks. There were jerks when I was a kid, and there are jerks now.

My experience with people is not as generally negative as yours, either here in the PNW or back in the St. Louis area where I lived almost all my life. But I don't go around watching for bad behavior. I become vexed sometimes when my peace is disturbed in restaurants, but mostly I have encountered pretty decent people. But there are always occasional jerks.

And I have had frequent conversations with strangers in all sorts of places, and had many pleasant interactions. Of course there are always a few difficult people, but they have been in the minority in my experience.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Slowing down, being helpful and turning the other cheek, loving, all those types of things are considered rather weak nowadays. The thing that's most revered is getting ahead, getting the most done, coming out ahead, making the most money. I think that shows in how we treat each other.

Plus, and I realize this won't be a popular answer, 2-career families are tough on their families. Everyone in a hurry to get stuff done. I always say, when I go out for a day and help my husband work, when we come home tired and stressed, "now who's going to take care of us".

I've also noticed how angry people seem these days. 24/7 news and politics surely doesn't help.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:07 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Plus, and I realize this won't be a popular answer, 2-career families are tough on their families. Everyone in a hurry to get stuff done. I always say, when I go out for a day and help my husband work, when we come home tired and stressed, "now who's going to take care of us".
I agree with this. And the increase in single parent families has made it worse. Someone else mentioned bad parenting. And I agree with that. We also know that kids raised in single parent families typically have more discipline problems from an early age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology