Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:21 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times

Advertisements

Yesterday in line at Chipotle the girl in front of me literally verbally abused the staff, calling them morons who can't do their jobs, threatening saying she would complain, going off about the service always being poor, etc. They were just doing what they were supposed to, it came out of nowhere... I watched the whole thing and it was insane. She told the one worker she didn't get enough steak in her bowl, he added more and she still exploded on him, rolling her eyes and treating him like absolute garbage. What was he supposed to do, give her a double portion for free just because she barked at him? The cashier told me she goes into the bathroom on a regular basis to cry it's so bad. I felt terrible for them.

Then, unbelievably, the same day- I went to the grocery store to do a return. I had not one but TWO people cut in front of me. I just stayed quiet but found that shockingly rude. They didn't even seem to be aware there was a line, like they were just oblivious to everything around them!

And last week at Panera Bread my mom and I had lunch... the tables are placed closely together and there were only a few left. We sat next to a man on his cell talking LOUDLY... I mean LOUD... while chewing his food with his mouth open. I gave him a glance thinking he might get the hint. He didn't and we had to literally move all of our stuff halfway across the restaurant just so we could have a normal conversation.

I honestly think a lot of it is parenting- kids who were handed everything and raised with a sense of entitlement. Broken families and less time to teach right from wrong. The "me" generation of selfies, narcissism, looking out for #1. The media doesn't help matters either. There seems to be a breakdown of civility and respect for others. I tend to ignore it as much as I can because the way things are now you just never know who has a gun, is on the edge, etc. But it seems to be getting worse.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 10-04-2017 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 12:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Well, at least it's not just me who's noticed this! I was really beginning to wonder!

I'm a person who is used to getting honked at when the light turns green: I saw a bad accident happen at an intersection last year, just two cars ahead of me, involving one driver trying to squeeze through the yellow & another driver jumping the gun on the green.

I'm glad I wasn't in charge of determining fault on that one because it was just so close. But in reality; who really cares who has the "right of way" if an accident happens & somebody is hurt or worse? Cars can be replaced. Not people.

So, I'm more cautious now & its saved my rear end a few times already. I brake for yellows vs stomping on the gas. And yes; I hesitate for an extra 2 seconds when I get the green. But lately I've heard so many people honking over really trivial events ... And they are not just honking at me!

Pet Peeve: I'm number 2 in the turning lane. Number 1 hesitates ... And number 3 lays on the horn! Now, number 1 is glaring at me in his rear view mirrors because he thinks Im the one who honked.

Additionally, twice this past week I've had people just step in line in front of me at the checkout counter! This never usually happens to me & I feel kind of lame because I don't defend myself. Of course, both times I've had my disabled son with me & I really don't think that's the best time for getting all confrontational with random people . The first one was a middle aged woman who after stepping in front of me (and the woman behind me), got impatient with the elderly man at the counter & at the clerk, who was being very patient & kind. She started sighing loudly, tapping her toe & actually said out loud " I really have to get going!"

The average Kindergartener could have taught her a thing or two about "getting in line" & "waiting your turn".

Old 10-04-2017, 03:03 AM

162 posts, read 117,230 times
People are inconsiderate and low on empathy. News at 11.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I don't run into anger anywhere in day-to-day life, except occasionally on the roads. Some of your examples sound like you watch TV news too much; when was the last time you witnessed someone shooting someone to get a point across? Or a fast food customer getting violent?

I also don't understand this "he cut me off!" thing about traffic. Do people assume someone cut in front of them to send a deliberate message? That sounds crazy. What I see is that people sometimes make a last-minute decision to change lanes, or they realize they need to be way over on the right to make an exit, and failed to plan ahead for that, so they have to make a risky, sudden move. Why do other drivers read something personal into that?

I don't run into people who look angry or talk angry, except for the occasional NYC transplant, lol. People are civil, even downright pleasant. This is true when I travel to other states/cities, as well. I don't watch the news, to avoid the negativity news sources purvey.
I agree with the OP that many people are angry especially in the media or online, but I don't see it on a day-to-day basis. However, I do see it enough to maintain situational awareness everyday, so for the most part, I don't stick around to see what the commotion is about.

I think what I do see more of, and you addressed this, is how quickly people take it personally. Yes, I know it is not a good experience to deal with people who are not well mannered, impatient and inconsiderate. But why take offense? You already know you are not befriending that person. In my opinion being offended out in public does not allow a person to remain calm.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 AM

1,257 posts, read 888,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Yesterday in line at Chipotle the girl in front of me literally verbally abused the staff, calling them morons who can't do their jobs, threatening saying she would complain, going off about the service always being poor, etc. They were just doing what they were supposed to, it came out of nowhere... I watched the whole thing and it was insane. She told the one worker she didn't get enough steak in her bowl, he added more and she still exploded on him, rolling her eyes and treating him like absolute garbage. What was he supposed to do, give her a double portion for free just because she barked at him? The cashier told me she goes into the bathroom on a regular basis to cry it's so bad. I felt terrible for them.

Then, unbelievably, the same day- I went to the grocery store to do a return. I had not one but TWO people cut in front of me. I just stayed quiet but found that shockingly rude. They didn't even seem to be aware there was a line, like they were just oblivious to everything around them!

And last week at Panera Bread my mom and I had lunch... the tables are placed closely together and there were only a few left. We sat next to a man on his cell talking LOUDLY... I mean LOUD... while chewing his food with his mouth open. I gave him a glance thinking he might get the hint. He didn't and we had to literally move all of our stuff halfway across the restaurant just so we could have a normal conversation.

I honestly think a lot of it is parenting- kids who were handed everything and raised with a sense of entitlement. Broken families and less time to teach right from wrong. The "me" generation of selfies, narcissism, looking out for #1. The media doesn't help matters either. There seems to be a breakdown of civility and respect for others. I tend to ignore it as much as I can because the way things are now you just never know who has a gun, is on the edge, etc. But it seems to be getting worse.
You know exactly what I'm talking about. It all makes going out for any reason very stressful.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Honestly I think our phones and the internet have created a time strapped society. If a person seriously put down their phones and stopped using social media, internet, or tv, they'd have plenty of hours in the day, but these devices can suck up a lot of our time and make it seem like there's never enough time.... And even without them the schedule can get busy.

As a person who used to have a 30 minute commute my main goal was to get home as fast as possible. Now I can make it back to my house in 14 minutes. The commute is just perfect and my need to rush has decreased. Plus I live in the middle of nowhere and dont have to deal with traffic. I'm not a big fan of the way stoplights work.. Making people wait there when there's no cross traffic. Its not very efficient. We sacrifice efficiency for safety in this regard.

Aside from this I believe it does come down to people oblivious to their surroundings or with princess syndrome. Its not really anyone's fault though... We all develop habits over time and tend to run our lives on autopilot and think from our own perspective only and not anyone else's. We are just monkeys with software programmed by DNA and our environment. Thankfully I discovered personal development and my judgemental demeanor is gradually melting away, though its still in there within me... It never really goes away, it just gets used less...

Last edited by sholomar; 10-04-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 07:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
You know exactly what I'm talking about. It all makes going out for any reason very stressful.
It's why I avoid going out unless it's something I really want to do. It has to really be worth it for me to put up with all the boorish behavior that's everywhere now.

In the last two or three years, I've also started calling people out for being rude. All you have to do is say, "Hey!"

These people are counting on everyone just shutting up and letting them do what they want and they are total cowards that will back down and pretend they didn't know they did something wrong.

As far as driving is concerned, people need to quit driving with their dicks and their egos.

Your first responsibility as a driver is the safety of everyone around you.

And everyone will occasionally pull a boneheaded move, but to purposely endanger everyone by driving like an ahole is completely unforgivable.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with this. And the increase in single parent families has made it worse. Someone else mentioned bad parenting. And I agree with that. We also know that kids raised in single parent families typically have more discipline problems from an early age.
We've had numerous teachers (at school and people we've met in public who are teachers or ex-teachers) admit to us (because they sure as heck aren't going to say this to other people) that they can always tell which children were raised at home by their parents and which ones were left in institutions all day from a very early age.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We've had numerous teachers (at school and people we've met in public who are teachers or ex-teachers) admit to us (because they sure as heck aren't going to say this to other people) that they can always tell which children were raised at home by their parents and which ones were left in institutions all day from a very early age.
I have no trouble believing that. That's the New World Order agenda. They don't want parents raising their own children.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:03 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
I think certain people get their world view from low-quality places and are pre-disposed to see only negative, angry situations.

Kinda like the old adage, "when you're only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

TL/DR: get off Yahoo news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology