Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:17 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times

Advertisements

I’ve noticed that some posters who’ve been around awhile and have some of the higher rep ratings have some of the most unsavory personality traits. Narcissistic, ageist, condescending, obtuse, unempathetic,downright rude can all be used to describe some of these people. How does something like this happen? I generally have faith in humans doing the right thing, but when I see that these people tend to be highly rewarded for their behavior here, it sort of baffles me.

Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case? Is this a forum thing? Because I feel like people who act this way in real life are usually called out and put in their place, definitely not respected or admired for this behavior.

Last edited by Left-handed; 10-05-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I’ve noticed that some posters who’ve been around awhile and have some of the higher rep ratings have some of the most unsavory personality traits. Narcissistic, ageist, condescending, obtuse, unempathetic,downright rude can all be used to describe some of these people. How does something like this happen? I generally have faith in humans doing the right thing, but when I see that these people tend to be highly rewarded for their behavior here, it sort of baffles me.

Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case?
I think the question could be; How does someone like this happen? Behind the posts, is a story. Some people on here know the poster, and where they are coming from, their background, their location, their history.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I think the question could be; How does someone like this happen? Behind the posts, is a story. Some people on here know the poster, and where they are coming from, their background, their location, their history.
So they’re friends outside of the forum and routinely pat each other on the back? That kind of thing?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
N's are very good manipulators, remember that. They can acquire lots of 'fans'.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:

Am I wrong about people? Do most actually admire people with these sorts of traits? Why do you think this is the case?
When I feel like this a C-D vacation is helpful.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:29 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Exactly. There are many, many trolls, bigots, repeatedly banned posters and mentally disturbed people who come here to use these boards to work out their twisted ideas and impulses. They tend to be treated more harshly than others. Before you attack the responder, do a little research on the person eliciting the response.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:30 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
I don't know who you are talking about specifically - but half the traits you mention might also be characterized as just honesty. And in today's language-policing PC world, honesty is refreshing enough to get repped.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Exactly. There are many, many trolls, bigots, repeatedly banned posters and mentally disturbed people who come here to use these boards to work out their twisted ideas and impulses. They tend to be treated more harshly than others. Before you attack the responder, do a little research on the person eliciting the response.
Oh, I read that completely wrong. So you’re saying that the “rude” posters are the ones who know a little more about the poster whom they are responding to, hence why they respond to them the way they do. Correct?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:34 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
So they’re friends outside of the forum and routinely pat each other on the back? That kind of thing?
I think what might have been meant was long-time posters who are friendly with many others over many topics and know each other pretty well via C-D

Old 10-05-2017, 11:34 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Just back from a C D vacation"...

it helps

QUOTE=elhelmete;49732896]When I feel like this a C-D vacation is helpful.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology