Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 08:40 AM

203 posts, read 142,132 times

Advertisements

I have this condition since I was 15, but I just realized it at the age of 29.

It is exhausting to deal with this fact, go through medication and being alone other side of the world.

Can someone help me with this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,277,938 times
Could you say a bit more about "Cyclothemia bipolar 2?" I have worked with many individuals who suffer from bipolar disorder, but am finding your OP too vague to really comment....

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Sure. I am a bipolar 2, but I am functioning good most of the times. I moved from Iran to USA as a student and now I am working temporarily. Since, this Travel ban, and some other problems, I have shown more manic episodes and depressive episodes. I went to a doctor and asked them to tell me if I have bi polar. I have read some books beforehand and realized I have the symptoms. They agreed with me and told me to take medication. I did, and I felt better and then get worst.

My medication didn't respond well, and now I am reducing it and change it to Depakote.

But the transition process makes me more depressed, I cry in my workplace, then I am so happy.

This morning I had too much anxiety and I told my boss what my condition is.

Now, I feel better.

But sometimes I am sad, for no reason. I always was. I wonder why I never asked for help.

I am scared I will lose my job and my chance for a better life in USA. besides, Trump's travel ban and his problem with immigrant and Muslims, I also am away from my family, can't visit them, and also struggling with this issue alone. I need more support.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharzi87 View Post
Sure. I am a bipolar 2, but I am functioning good most of the times. I moved from Iran to USA as a student and now I am working temporarily. Since, this Travel ban, and some other problems, I have shown more manic episodes and depressive episodes. I went to a doctor and asked them to tell me if I have bi polar. I have read some books beforehand and realized I have the symptoms. They agreed with me and told me to take medication. I did, and I felt better and then get worst.

My medication didn't respond well, and now I am reducing it and change it to Depakote.

But the transition process makes me more depressed, I cry in my workplace, then I am so happy.

This morning I had too much anxiety and I told my boss what my condition is.

Now, I feel better.

But sometimes I am sad, for no reason. I always was. I wonder why I never asked for help.

I am scared I will lose my job and my chance for a better life in USA. besides, Trump's travel ban and his problem with immigrant and Muslims, I also am away from my family, can't visit them, and also struggling with this issue alone. I need more support.
So you are here on a student visa? Green Card?

Keep trying different meds and maybe ask your doctor for a support group.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So you are here on a student visa? Green Card?

Keep trying different meds and maybe ask your doctor for a support group.
I am on a student visa, not a green card.

I can't find the support group. My doctor didn't find any for me as well.

Thanks though

Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 AM

786 posts, read 1,594,078 times
Default Having a successful life is a decision.

My first question is are you seeing a board certified psychiatrist for medication or a family doctor? Your post doesn't spell out your symptoms so I'll just say a few things. Cyclothymia and Bipolar type II are 2 different diagnoses and require different treatment. You must avoid self-diagnosis and leave it to a trained mental health professional. Medication is only part of the solution, it is not a cure. And medication is not magical, and it doesn't promote change overnight. But if you are prescribed medication, you must faithfully take it, don't start and stop medication and give it time to work. If you're constantly telling your doctor the meds aren't working, you'll end up being tried on many different meds which will NOT be helpful. Reading between the lines, you've already eluded to other major issues in your life that need to be addressed: social & family isolation, and cultural issues being from Iraq and living in a country that has become Muslim-phobic. Social and cultural support are very important to a sense of well being. You said you were a student and working part-time: do you have specific goals in mind? Do you have achievable goals for your future career? This is also very important for a sense of well being. Many people with Bipolar live perfectly functional lives, have relationships, enjoy satisfying careers, etc. But many people focus on having a "diagnosis" of mental illness and chase a solution through medication, therapy and forget about all the other aspects of wellness. You may want to start journaling about what you want to do with your life and start taking action steps to achieve your goals, but they must be achievable and realistic goals. Don't maintain yourself in a sick role or a sense of helplessness. If you immigrated from Iraq, you have strength, use it and don't fall into the trap of feeling sorry for yourself because you have issues with your mood, you can overcome that but it takes hard work, persistence, a positive attitude, social connectedness, cultural support, life goals, exercise, spirituality and self-reliance. It may also require compliance with treatment, whether that be medication and/or talk therapy. It's a decision how we live our lives, including learning how to deal with our "ups and downs", everyone has them, it's a matter of degree. Don't leave your life up to chance, or something or someone else, it must come from within you to strive for a balanced life with as many components of support as mentioned above as possible. You can do it! One step at a time, maybe baby steps. Put one foot in front of the other and move forward. You are much more than a diagnosis of Bipolar II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology