Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh ok, I'm sorry. I think I'm going to take a break from posting for awhile. I'm just too fragile to do this at this point in my life. TTYL
It's ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:35 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh ok, I'm sorry. I think I'm going to take a break from posting for awhile. I'm just too fragile to do this at this point in my life. TTYL
I am not sure if you're serious.

I've enjoyed talking to you. But if you are serious, well, I certainly understand. Do what feels healthy for yourself.

I am glad you got away from the man who didn't like your piercings. I hope your next tattoo brings you joy. Best wishes.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Thank you Sonic, I enjoyed talking with you too. Sorry I didn't get around to answering a couple of your posts to me. I'm not much of a multi tasker, lol. Maybe I'll get to them yet. I posted my very first thread the other day about getting used to the heat, and humidity in NC, and I am slow to answer.

I don't have any tattoos yet, but have always wanted some. Now for the agonizing over what kind, and where. I posted about a break before seeing your post about you taking a break. Although my ex wasn't physically violent I still feel betrayed, and broken. My daughter says to just get over it, and move on, but that is hard to do. I got a post deleted elsewhere on c-d, and a warning, and my brain cell feels like it's exploding. So a break is in order I think before I mess up more. It kind of feels like ptsd in a small way, like being under attack still. So glad you found a nice BF. It gives me hope even at my age (o;. Hugs ~ Claudia

Old 10-13-2017, 02:29 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Sometimes it's hard to tell who's a troll and who's just an opinionated ass. Either way I doubt it comes from a place I'd like to find myself in.
And some people with opinions outside of the mainstream are labeled as trolls for voicing them

Old 10-13-2017, 02:39 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
And some people with opinions outside of the mainstream are labeled as trolls for voicing them
Depends on how far out of the mainstream we're talking. You have to admit that if you had someone going on a tirade about how the Earth is flat, some people might be inclined to wonder if the person is serious, crazy, or just trolling for a reaction.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:44 PM

480 posts, read 845,168 times
I think it's 100% about status. Someone gains status through influence. They misunderstand the nature of influence, assuming that it's zero-sum, and that diminishing someone's contribution is the same thing as providing that contribution in the first place. This is why a troll trolls.

In most cases, they're driven by their own lack of real ability to contribute. They're not able to be funny, or punchy, or insightful, and are supremely jealous of those who are.

Let's say someone posts a comment. If the comment is coherent and meaningful, insightful in some way, offers information or helps to define meaning, it generates influence and provides status to the poster. Trolls think of status as zero-sum, in the sense that if someone is gaining influence, they must therefore be losing influence. So they take the OP's post as diminishing them, a form of attack. To defend themselves, they must lash out to sustain their influence state. That lashing out will include things like ad hominem attacks, irrational off-topic rants, deliberate misreadings, and sly innuendo-laced derogatory remarks - anything they think will offset the status the original poster gained by making their post.

They're also acutely aware of high-profile posters who have developed a certain influence and authority within a particular online community. By counting coup on a high-status individual, they feel they gain a disproportionate amount of status in return.

This is the distinction between trolling and over-the-top opinionated posting. Usually an opinionated poster will direct comments to a topic. They may provide evidence, commentary, or perspective, because their rhetorical purpose is to establish or refute a position. The troll directs comments based on a wholly different rhetorical purpose - to diminish the person who posted. So they'll comment to attack the authority of the OP, they'll comment to attack their message or their meaning. They'll claim the OP was irrelevant, irrational, incoherent, unhinged in some way, because their objective isn't to argue the point, but to knock the ground out from the OP.

Then when the trolling behavior generates a certain amount of ill will, the troll takes the ill will as evidence that they've gained status as an influencer. They've "set things straight" or "put that uppity-so-and-so in their place," and restored the status balance to where it was before the OP's post. They get a disproportionate amount of satisfaction from the disruption, because it ensures that nobody has an opportunity to build status - everything turns into a comment to or about the troll, and any attempt to get back on topic will be greeted by more trolling.

They're irrational in this way, maybe even vaguely sociopathic, because they're motivated by the emotional response, not by usual human measures in a community such as acceptance or agreement. They assume the OP was posting from their motivation as well, just to get that emotional response - so in some ways they see *everyone* posting as some kind of troll.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times
Say someone posts on a controversial thread like vaccination debate ... they don't attack anyone's post, they simply post all of their own reasons for being cautious about vaccinations (a non-mainstream opinion).

Then that post is met with a barage of hateful accusations of child abuse, threats of having their children taken away. They are called ignorant, stupid, selfish, conspiracy theorist = mob mentality.

It's called a debate, but it's truly a one-sided argument and dissenters be damned! Both sides are not given equal respect. One is shot down and trampled under so severely, that others who are against vaccinations are afraid to post their views.

Is that trolling behavior?

Old 10-13-2017, 03:00 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Or apostates..I hear ya.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:04 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Depends on how far out of the mainstream we're talking. You have to admit that if you had someone going on a tirade about how the Earth is flat, some people might be inclined to wonder if the person is serious, crazy, or just trolling for a reaction.
If they post something outside of the mainstream but don't back it with facts or logic, I'd still consider them a troll. But i see plenty of people with unpopular beliefs try to logically back them, even if their logic is incorrect but i won't consider them trolls for trying honestly.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Say someone posts on a controversial thread like vaccination debate ... they don't attack anyone's post, they simply post all of their own reasons for being cautious about vaccinations (a non-mainstream opinion).

Then that post is met with a barage of hateful accusations of child abuse, threats of having their children taken away. They are called ignorant, stupid, selfish, conspiracy theorist = mob mentality.

It's called a debate, but it's truly a one-sided argument and dissenters be damned! Both sides are not given equal respect. One is shot down and trampled under so severely, that others who are against vaccinations are afraid to post their views.

Is that trolling behavior?
Some regular posters can be worse than "trolls". The mob mentality is pretty bad online, when a group of people gang up on a particular poster. I was accused of taking up for a rapist by a group of people online who twisted something I said. Not here on CD, but elsewhere. My advice is, stop posting to them and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology