Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 06:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, I don’t mean that. I don’t mean I’m unkind or want to hurt others. I mean I want to express a less than popular opinion to get more people to respond sometimes.
Oh ... ok. But what's the motive in wanting to get more people to respond to a thread???

We discussed posters who seem to say things in order to drive traffic for City Data. Revenue and all that.

If it's just expressing an unpopular opinion that you hold, there's no trouble in that. But if you're doing it just to stir the pot......why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 06:40 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Oh ... ok. But what's the motive in wanting to get more people to respond to a thread???

We discussed posters who seem to say things in order to drive traffic for City Data. Revenue and all that.

If it's just expressing an unpopular opinion that you hold, there's no trouble in that. But if you're doing it just to stir the pot......why?
Could be that they have a Beavis & Butthead definition of what's cool. They get a charge out of shocking or distressing other people. They probably imagine what they think is (by their lights) "the cool crowd" cheering them on exchanging high-fives and patting each other on the back. Maybe they even imagine some special someone they're falling for cheering them on too. When in fact, no self-respecting person would ever date them -- unless that self-respecting person was just as clueless about the world as the troller is (or imagines him/her to be).

Old 10-21-2017, 06:49 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No, I don’t mean that. I don’t mean I’m unkind or want to hurt others. I mean I want to express a less than popular opinion to get more people to respond sometimes.
I don't get that. What the object is. I will express an unpopular opinion to examine it as an intellectual pursuit, or because it's a truth that is important to say to counter 'the narrative' if there is one being pushed.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Maybe they even imagine some special someone they're falling for cheering them on too. When in fact, no self-respecting person would ever date them -- unless that self-respecting person was just as clueless about the world as the troller is (or imagines him/her to be).
That part is really funny!!!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Someone who joins a discussion for the sole purpose of causing trouble is a troll.

So why do you do enjoy getting a rise out of people?

Spite?
Arrogance?
Because you can get away with it?
You enjoy being unkind?
You're miserable, so you want to hurt others?
I agree with all of this.Trolls need a life, and a bit more fresh air. Discussion boards are fun. But unless someone is crippled or home convalescing from an illness, I would hope that people would have a life. Or maybe the boards are soap operas 2017 style.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:45 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree with all of this.Trolls need a life, and a bit more fresh air. Discussion boards are fun. But unless someone is crippled or home convalescing from an illness, I would hope that people would have a life. Or maybe the boards are soap operas 2017 style.
Some days, it sure does feel like that.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't get that. What the object is. I will express an unpopular opinion to examine it as an intellectual pursuit, or because it's a truth that is important to say to counter 'the narrative' if there is one being pushed.
Sometimes expressing an unpopular opinion 'opens' the topic to more active discussion because it will make others of a like mind to feel more comfortable going against that popular opinion too. It can be intimidating to be the first person to say "hey I don't agree with the rest of you and here's why". But once that barrier has been broken others will also usually start chiming in with their own 'unpopular' thoughts on the subject. A discussion that only examines one point of view isn't as enriching as one that looks at things from many different angles.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:46 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sometimes expressing an unpopular opinion 'opens' the topic to more active discussion because it will make others of a like mind to feel more comfortable going against that popular opinion too. It can be intimidating to be the first person to say "hey I don't agree with the rest of you and here's why". But once that barrier has been broken others will also usually start chiming in with their own 'unpopular' thoughts on the subject. A discussion that only examines one point of view isn't as enriching as one that looks at things from many different angles.
True and that's why I don't believe unpopular opinions are "trolls" necessarily. That may legitimately be their opinion. It's okay to have unpopular opinions and it's okay to disagree with the majority.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
True and that's why I don't believe unpopular opinions are "trolls" necessarily. That may legitimately be their opinion. It's okay to have unpopular opinions and it's okay to disagree with the majority.
But it's not okay to call the other side brainless, uninformed, idiots, lemmings, sheep, etc. That's where they're just looking for a fight.

And trolls will follow people from thread to thread trying to pick a fight. I've gotten a few messages here from people telling me their stories about it ......

Old 10-22-2017, 03:15 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
The allegation that trolling is "allowed" here on City-Data.

I agree that there is quite a bit of trolling here, although the frequency of it does vary from forum to forum. But my view is that it being present is not the same thing as being "allowed", which implies that nothing is done about it.

My analogy is drivers who speed. There is a lot speeding, but it is not "allowed". Lots of traffic stops are made for speeding, and the fines, at least in California, are pretty draconian.

Moderators here delete lots of posts, and lots of portions of posts, for various forms of trolling. Also, lots of infractions, including temporary bans, are issued. Does that put an end to all trolling? No it doesn't, any more than speeding by drivers will ever be ended totally.

One thing to keep in mind: There is no system in place whereby moderators read all posts in all threads. They rely on reports by other users to call problem posts to their attention. It may take a day or two for a reported post to be reviewed, although I have also seen it happen within minutes. I have to wonder if everyone who has complained about the prevalence of trolling has done his or her part by reporting posts which violate the Terms of Service (rules)?

Given the number of deleted posts and locked threads that I am aware of personally, I don't think it's accurate or fair to accuse City-Data of fostering trolling to drive up activity. Given the personal stories recounted here, trolling certainly drives AWAY a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology