Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

I think the likelier scenario is that everyone is different, and that determines their difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:59 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think the likelier scenario is that everyone is different, and that determines their difference.
That is the likely scenario. No matter what information you try to program into a person, they're free to do with it as they please.

A lot of people, men and women, are frustrated beyond reason because they cannot get people to do as they want them to do, and the truth of the matter is that people have personalities that are just a lot stronger than they were when I was growing up in the eighties. People do not feel the pressure to give in and conform like they used to. So this is the end result.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Lots of truth here

The filters are disappearing, and that's not a good sign for appropriate public ( and private) behavior.
We have a society where many people are offended by everything. And in defiance of that we now have an equally vocal group of people who take pride in being as offensive and crass as possible.

Neither mentality is good and both of these extreme social attitudes are the result of a general decline in social and emotional intelligence.

When EQ declines people can only perceive the world in a binary fashion. You're either with me or against me.

Any compromising or understanding is a sign of weakness under these conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That is the likely scenario. No matter what information you try to program into a person, they're free to do with it as they please.

A lot of people, men and women, are frustrated beyond reason because they cannot get people to do as they want them to do, and the truth of the matter is that people have personalities that are just a lot stronger than they were when I was growing up in the eighties. People do not feel the pressure to give in and conform like they used to. So this is the end result.
Seems to be the human desire to dominate and control others. I do think there has to be some social mores and customs in order for society to function but not to the extent of the past where everything was so strict. And stepping out of the ordinary in any way was stigmatized no matter how benign.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:23 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
So sick of every societal problem being blamed on our President. Take a look at parenting today - why are so many of today's parents bringing up children who can't seem to handle a differing opinion, and are so unequipped to become self sufficient. Whoever heard of 26 year old "kids" still being on their parents insurance?? A 26 year old was an adult 8 years prior.

I'm sure there are many fine young men and women that are well-adjusted and responsible, but it does seem as though the majority have been infantilized to a horrible degree. To think these are the leaders of tomorrow is what should be embarrassing.
Are you kidding? When the 'invisible hand' decides to provide good jobs with health insurance for all potential employees, like it did back 'in the day', then the so-called 'age of majority' can go back to 18.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:26 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
You guys are all correct. Our doctor told me to read every label on foods for soy and stay away from it. It'll feminize everyone.

Even Nathan's hot dogs which advertise to be 100% beef says they contain soy! I read the label. Can't figure out that math, except they must mean there is only beef in them. Notice they DO NOT say contains no filler.

Mod cut.
100% beef means 100% of the meat content is beef. Not the entire product. I thought everyone knew that.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Instead of rushing to prove me wrong, you probably should have read my last post where I acknowledged this.
Well then, I apologize. But there IS an edit function.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Well then, I apologize. But there IS an edit function.
True...I considered editing my post, but then I thought, "hey, if I'm proven wrong, maybe it's weenie for me to edit it to make myself look better." But, I also don't want people to waste their time responding with links (btw, thanks for providing actual scientific links) when I've already been corrected. So...I'll prob edit.

I still think decreasing testosterone is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Lower testosterone, biologically, would not be due to societal factors like the so-called negative "feminization" of men. Levels of testosterone are linked to biological "manliness" (strength, sex drive etc.) but lower amounts of it would not make men gossip more. So I feel like my point still holds.

Edit: Turns out you can only edit a post for a certain amount of time. So..hopefully people read long enough to see I acknowledged the testosterone point...

Old 10-17-2017, 04:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Men's testosterone generally speaking as a whole have been dropping so it's no surprise to see more men acting like females.
Not to mention sperm counts are down 50% since the '70's. Glad I am in the older generation. Seems younger men complain an insane amount as well and really about nothing. They just like to whine. Start hanging around more gen X'ers and boomers. They are much tougher and more fun.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Single women. That's what I meant to say.

Children have always been raised by women. But in the absence of a father their ideas on masculinity may vary.
Then you should be blaming whatever societal problems you think this is causing on the absentee fathers, not the mothers who are raising their children.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:05 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
i don't know...when i see Home Depot having to resort to in-store classes and video tutorials on how to use a tape measure and hammer a nail because their research shows that a whole generation of young men, millennials, have no idea how to use the products they sell...scary. something is changing
I thought that men were born with this knowledge. When I bought a house, I could have used in-store classes on how to fix things around the house. I don't see any of those types of classes where I live. So that is why I thought men know these things somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology