Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Because it keeps being not true.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
The fact is there's a lot of info out there that is apparently conflicting. You should take a look at the studies cited here:

https://www.anabolicmen.com/soy-and-testosterone/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 07:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
i don't know...when i see Home Depot having to resort to in-store classes and video tutorials on how to use a tape measure and hammer a nail because their research shows that a whole generation of young men, millennials, have no idea how to use the products they sell...scary. something is changing
More to do with economics than anything else. Years ago if you went into a Sears or whatever the guy behind the tool counter was paid a good wages and knew about the products and how to use them. Today a retail clerk is just a low wage throwaway job. You ain't gonna get someone who knows a trade to work for $8 an hour at Home Depot other than retired people.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 AM

1,257 posts, read 888,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Our education system is dominated by women and they do not want boys behaving differently from the girls in classes. At an early age their natural male differences are ostracized and young boys are taught to stifle these impulses. Teenage boys in broken homes without a male parent lack that role model in these critical years. The mothers are typically dominant "man-haters" and this has considerable influence. The Media have been spewing gender fluidity nonsense for a decade, again a big influence on young boys transitioning to manhood.

Out of school, the workplace now consists largely of service jobs where men are often under represented. They have to adapt to a female-biased work culture and it's no great surprise that they become feminized, some never making it to manhood.
Yes.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:27 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
you are quite correct...bet your dad knew how to hammer a nail in at age 25, ask him
The point in that using tools isn't an inherently male trait. I didn't realize that people actually did their own home repairs until I was an adult--hiring things out is what was done. It doesn't make my dad, brothers, uncles, neighbors any less manly.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:33 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
i don't know...when i see Home Depot having to resort to in-store classes and video tutorials on how to use a tape measure and hammer a nail because their research shows that a whole generation of young men, millennials, have no idea how to use the products they sell...scary. something is changing
Is that true? Source?

As a millennial I find that hard to believe. I've never met someone in my cohort that doesn't know how to use tools... Even most women I know use hammers/tape measures on a regular basis many use power tools too.

What I think is more likely is that millennials don't shop at HD because of the low rate of home ownership among my generation.

Edit: Jesus Christ there is a lot of millennial bashing and MRA conspiracy nonsense in this thread.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:37 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,528 times
Men seem to worry about "looking like men" now more than I can remember. That's the main difference I see. I was a child of the 80's. The outfits and styles men wore back then would make today's skinny jeans look like lumberjack clothes. Even still men seemed to be more secure in themselves then. Now you can clearly see some men trying too hard.

And the bickering and gossiping has always been there. It's just more out in the open now I guess.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Edit: Jesus Christ there is a lot of millennial bashing and MRA conspiracy nonsense in this thread.
You forgot mom-hating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Teenage boys in broken homes without a male parent lack that role model in these critical years. The mothers are typically dominant "man-haters" and this has considerable influence.
Every single mother on this board should give you a whipping for your nasty mouth.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:47 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You forgot mom-hating.

Truth. There does seem to be a disturbing trend of people blaming single mothers for everything... (And no real responsibility placed on baby daddies)

I think that falls under the category of MRA nonsense.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Truth. There does seem to be a disturbing trend of people blaming single mothers for everything... (And no real responsibility placed on baby daddies)

I think that falls under the category of MRA nonsense.
It's ironic because at no time in recent history have men been more actively involved in child-rearing than right now. Back in the much-lauded "olden days" (when things were supposedly better) many fathers were distant authority figures who left all of the childcare to their wives.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
All this time women have been accused of being the catty, back biting, gossipy, petty, calculating, diabolical ones. Branded as witches and b----es. But now there's so much melodrama going on among men it's jaw dropping. In Washington D.C. it's very intense and very public. Name calling and belittling. It's in the workplace too. Guys routinely talking trash about each other behind each other's backs. I swear things weren't like this where and when I was growing up. Even when I worked at Evil Corp the viciousness didn't show up at this level. It's not that it was hidden, it was that the game wasn't played that way. If two guys detested each other they did something about it -- either had it out or avoided each other. They didn't create a hollywood soap opera that has no resolution and no end. Maybe my environment was some kind of bubble but I don't think so. In my experience things weren't like this even 10-15 years ago. All I can come up with is either men are changing or else they're changing the rules. Oh No doubt part of the cause is the evolution of the internet.
Might be part of the “wussification” of American males? When I was growing up and into adulthood, if you had a problem with another man you either talked it out, learned to avoid one another, or got in a fist fight with the other person. Either way, we worked it out without any of the drama so prevelent today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology