Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 06:53 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
Because the job market is still abysmal and every year more and more "man jobs" are getting outsourced or replaced with cheap immirgrant labor. A guy still has to live so off to the lowes plumbing isle he goes. It's sad but true, 9/10'dudea there would rather he working what used to be a decent wage trade job.
According to pieces like this: https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/rebui...ction-workers/ the jobs are there, the skilled workers aren't. If a guy wants a "real job" they're out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Men's testosterone generally speaking as a whole have been dropping so it's no surprise to see more men acting like females.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Video games, social media, poor diet, sedentary lifestyles, drugs, etc.

Western culture is feminizing men. Women with penises. I'm only in my twenties, and I've noticed it get worse over the years, in the workplace and...everywhere. While it was once common for men to be assertive and strong-minded, passive-aggressive and other immature behavior has become the norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Our men act less like men these days because they are filled with soy! It is in everything...even stinking Oreo Cookies and Campbell's soups! Soy raises their estrogen levels.
You guys are all correct. Our doctor told me to read every label on foods for soy and stay away from it. It'll feminize everyone.

Even Nathan's hot dogs which advertise to be 100% beef says they contain soy! I read the label. Can't figure out that math, except they must mean there is only beef in them. Notice they DO NOT say contains no filler.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-14-2017 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Political commentary.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:26 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Because their wives got to stay home and not face the brutal grinder of "work for survival" of the Industrial age. Going back to the "olden" days of agriculture, men worked along side their boys and taught them to be men.
And because women had their own work. Starting with breastfeeding. Hand washing, no driers, Getting and rationing the food - DAILY, plucking and cooking a chicken which took 3 hours, Heating up hot water if they had it at all. Food prep. You had to be as good as a restaurant chef to plan meals because when the milkman came, that was your ration. (not to mention actual REAL rations), ACTUAL child rearing. Nursing. The list is endless.

AND, BTW when my grandmother, born in 1904, wanted a fence and my grandfather didn't...she got in the truck, drove and picked up the fencing, and installed it herself.

Women mocking, demeaning and victimizing women like my grandmother have ZERO CLUE.

This also puts the weakness of current day families on big display since, obviously, there is no family history being passed down.

And the first hospital in my FL county was created by a woman who wasn't even 28 years old.

The next nearest one was 70 miles away on unpaved roads.

Don't forget, it was WOMEN who were the quaisi nurses of the family. Imagine taking care of 6 sick kids at once. You couldn't just get in the car and go run to a doctor or get a "prescription".

In fact, my German grandmother used a German homeopath in Philly and was grateful to have him in our neighborhood. That was back in the day when homeopathy was the thing.

My mother was born at home 1925. Premature and placed in a cigar box. Her MOTHER did all the care of her and her 4 siblings. There was no NEO NATAL CLINIC.

Like I said: CLUELESS CRITICS

Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Its always funny to see the handwringing and teethgnashing over how feminine and pitiful todays modern males are. Let most people tell it, previous generations of men were simply better and modern men (and men only) should be encouraged to roll back the clock to the 1950s to reflect the rough and tumble men found in bygone eras who were more than glad to line up to go to the killing fields of war to be slaughtered or to die at 45 from working in some coal mine because "gar!...thats whart a real mayun duz!...gar!"...

But the focus never turns to how much the behavior of women has also changed from previous generations. And on the rare occasions that it is discussed its always discussed in the context of the great strides women have successessfully made, and even any PERCEIVED suggestion that some elements of female behavior were better or more desireable in previous generations of women, INSTANTLY prompts a kneejerk reaction accusing that person of trying to enslave women by reverting society back to the 1950s.

This doesnt make sense to me..how can all the changes in behavior women have made be roundly applauded, but all the changes men have made summarily result in all this rancor and handwringing?
Either previous generations of people behaved better or they didnt...you cant have it both ways. And if the change in behavior of modern men is cause for concern, then there is also cause for concern over the change in behavior of modern women...equal is equal. Neither of the genders' behaviors changed within a vacuum.. (and you dont get to bring back the good behavior of the "good ol days" without bringing back the negative apects of those days as well). But realistically only one biological sex gets regularly criticized, without contention, for its behavioral changes.

What has happened though is that women have trained society at large, (and men specifically) to understand that their present day behavior is not to be judged...period... on any level whatsoever. Its not that their behavior hasnt changed, nor is it the case that all the changes women have made are objectively for the better.

Rather, modern women have very smartly positioned themselves so that they reserve the right to TELL YOU whether what theyre doing is acceptable or not. Lest you be accused of oppressing them by trying to impose any sort of societal standards on them. Its the ultimate self-determination while preserving all the benefits of living in a collective society. But acceptable male behavior has been shoehorned into a rigid set of societal standards. Any deviation from those standards results in the attendant and aforementioned hemming and hawing found in this thread and others.

The only way a modern male can deviate from the societal standard for acceptable and stereotypical male behavior that is placed upon him is if he outwardly incorporates some sort of alternative lifestyle identity (gay, trans, bi etc)...now women have a wide open field of behavior that society deems acceptable for them to embrace - or rather, behavior that they have told society it must embrace. If women want to act stereotypically masculine and buck cooking/cleaning/marriage etc , hey, theyre just expressing their liberation as women and theyre breaking barriers, shattering the patriarchal oppression society has foisted upon her, and redefining womanhood, yada yada...if she wants to act stereotypically feminine and girly then shes just showing how women can be strong yet still beautiful and soft etc. Whatever she decides to do it is celebrated.

But boy, you let a young man not know how to use a screwdriver, and oh here comes the outrage. Or let a man say he values videogames or sports over raising a family and here come the boo-birds. We must IMMEDIATELY flip into crisis mode and schedule a national symposium on what a lost cause modern men have become!..."somebody katybar the door because its about to be pandemonium and our society is suddenly in a tailspin solely because of modern male behavior!..oh dear!"

But moreover, and to the topic of the thread, I do think some men gossip and catfight as much as women or sometimes moreso. Ive come to the conclusion that most men generally have one stereotypically female trait...it may be that theyre sensitive and cry easily, or they could be gossipy and melodramatic, or they could be attracted to other men, or extremely small, or they might like lots of beautiful colors and fashion, or they could just be physically weak. But when any of these traits manifest themselves, its very apparent simply because it stands in such stark contrast to what we recognize as being the quintessential male and usually in contrast to his conformity to the rest of the male standard that he embraces and the male persona built around that societal standard which he presents to the world.

And because we still have very clear societal standards for whats acceptable behavior for a "real man", "good man" etc (notice women do not allow the expectation of meeting the standards for either of these terms to be placed upon them as a collective group) or what have you, its very easy for us to see when a male isnt staying within those bounds and adhering to those clear standards society has set for him. So a slight deviation from the standard becomes a very glaring deviation; not because the deviation itself was so egregious, but because the standard set for acceptable male behavior was so clear to begin with, so crossing that line becomes that much more noticeable even if its only by a matter of inches (see my tape measure reference there? Hehe)

Last edited by soletaire; 10-14-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 10:32 AM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And yet I get the impression that the "wussified men" people are referring to in this thread are young. If hormones were affecting men, wouldn't we be observing this "wussification" across all ages?
We are. Ever heard of the low T epidemic? Testosterone rx is very popular among old men nowadays.

Also, consider the fact that the hormonal environment during development is the most important. Old men simply had less of these problems during puberty.

I don't think soy is a big problem. Endocrine disruptors, yes. Lack of physical activity, sunlight/outdoor environment, socialization, sleep, yes. Screwed up circadian rhythm, lower dopamine, lower melatonin, all thanks to excessive blue light from technology, absolutely.

I don't see a lot of single-mom-hating in this thread. Only hating the absence of a father.

Also, I see a lot of people in this thread equating manliness with female slavery, tools, violence, and coal. Simply laughable. I guess everything turns political nowadays?

Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 AM

387 posts, read 357,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Its always funny to see the handwringing and teethgnashing over how feminine and pitiful todays modern males are. Let most people tell it, previous generations of men were simply better and modern men (and men only) should be encouraged to roll back the clock to the 1950s to reflect the rough and tumble men found in bygone eras who were more than glad to line up to go to the killing fields of war to be slaughtered or to die at 45 from working in some coal mine because "gar!...thats whart a real mayun duz!...gar!"...

But the focus never turns to how much the behavior of women has also changed from previous generations. And on the rare occasions that it is discussed its always discussed in the context of the great strides women have successessfully made, and even any PERCEIVED suggestion that some elements of female behavior were better or more desireable in previous generations of women, INSTANTLY prompts a kneejerk reaction accusing that person of trying to enslave women by reverting society back to the 1950s.

This doesnt make sense to me..how can all the changes in behavior women have made be roundly applauded, but all the changes men have made summarily result in all this rancor and handwringing?
Either previous generations of people behaved better or they didnt...you cant have it both ways. And if the change in behavior of modern men is cause for concern, then there is also cause for concern over the change in behavior of modern women...equal is equal. Neither of the genders' behaviors changed within a vacuum.. (and you dont get to bring back the good behavior of the "good ol days" without bringing back the negative apects of those days as well). But realistically only one biological sex gets regularly criticized, without contention, for its behavioral changes.

What has happened though is that women have trained society at large, (and men specifically) to understand that their present day behavior is not to be judged...period... on any level whatsoever. Its not that their behavior hasnt changed, nor is it the case that all the changes women have made are objectively for the better.

Rather, modern women have very smartly positioned themselves so that they reserve the right to TELL YOU whether what theyre doing is acceptable or not. Lest you be accused of oppressing them by trying to impose any sort of societal standards on them. Its the ultimate self-determination while preserving all the benefits of living in a collective society. But acceptable male behavior has been shoehorned into a rigid set of societal standards. Any deviation from those standards results in the attendant and aforementioned hemming and hawing found in this thread and others.

The only way a modern male can deviate from the societal standard for acceptable and stereotypical male behavior that is placed upon him is if he outwardly incorporates some sort of alternative lifestyle identity (gay, trans, bi etc)...now women have a wide open field of behavior that society deems acceptable for them to embrace - or rather, behavior that they have told society it must embrace. If women want to act stereotypically masculine and buck cooking/cleaning/marriage etc , hey, theyre just expressing their liberation as women and theyre breaking barriers, shattering the patriarchal oppression society has foisted upon her, and redefining womanhood, yada yada...if she wants to act stereotypically feminine and girly then shes just showing how women can be strong yet still beautiful and soft etc. Whatever she decides to do it is celebrated.

But boy, you let a young man not know how to use a screwdriver, and oh here comes the outrage. Or let a man say he values videogames or sports over raising a family and here come the boo-birds. We must IMMEDIATELY flip into crisis mode and schedule a national symposium on what a lost cause modern men have become!..."somebody katybar the door because its about to be pandemonium and our society is suddenly in a tailspin solely because of modern male behavior!..oh dear!"

But moreover, and to the topic of the thread, I do think some men gossip and catfight as much as women or sometimes moreso. Ive come to the conclusion that most men generally have one stereotypically female trait...it may be that theyre sensitive and cry easily, or they could be gossipy and melodramatic, or they could be attracted to other men, or extremely small, or they might like lots of beautiful colors and fashion, or they could just be physically weak. But when any of these traits manifest themselves, its very apparent simply because it stands in such stark contrast to what we recognize as being the quintessential male and usually in contrast to his conformity to the rest of the male standard that he embraces and the male persona built around that societal standard which he presents to the world.

And because we still have very clear societal standards for whats acceptable behavior for a "real man", "good man" etc (notice women do not allow the expectation of meeting the standards for either of these terms to be placed upon them as a collective group) or what have you, its very easy for us to see when a male isnt staying within those bounds and adhering to those clear standards society has set for him. So a slight deviation from the standard becomes a very glaring deviation; not because the deviation itself was so egregious, but because the standard set for acceptable male behavior was so clear to begin with, so crossing that line becomes that much more noticeable even if its only by a matter of inches (see my tape measure reference there? Hehe)
Bravo. Excellent post. This is the best rundown of the situation in this thread so far. Men's behavior has changed in response to changes in women's social roles. But isn't it typical that no matter what, men get all the criticism and flak for the way things are.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 AM

102,186 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Why not let people be whoever they want to be? Why try to enforce some kind of male stereotype on young men? Why does this have to be defined as some maladaptive syndrome? Why does anyone care? This doesn't even relate to the OP's topic, which is about men being gossipy. That's nothing new. What's new is that they're being more open about it. That doesn't involve toxins and hormones, lol!

Much ado about nothing. Sheesh.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
this soy talk is kind of ridiculous, frankly. it reminds me of people who talk about chemtrails, fluoride, vaccinations, etc. it's mostly bunk science. sorry to burst your bubble.
Then you are in denial! My doctor had even talked about it! Men do not need soy! Read up on it for yourself.
Testosterone levels are lower in adult men than ever before. It's a fact and if you cannot handle that truth, sorry.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:13 PM

242 posts, read 184,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
this soy talk is kind of ridiculous, frankly. it reminds me of people who talk about chemtrails, fluoride, vaccinations, etc. it's mostly bunk science. sorry to burst your bubble.

Ok, so you don't want to believe anything bad about soy, that's fine. We'll just say all this is nonsense.
https://www.anabolicmen.com/soy-and-testosterone/

But are you going to also deny all of the other estrogen-enhancing endocrine disruptors that are clearly abundant according to science, and the effects of which are replicable with scientific study? Soy is but one tiny fraction of all the things that were mentioned on this thread and yet you seem overly focused on that one piece. Even if we ignore that, it doesn't eliminate the other things, and all these things are cummulative.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:37 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
there is a double standard.

you can tell a man to "man up" and go do (fill in the blank) manly thing but you can't tell a woman to "woman up" and go in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology