Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM

506 posts, read 651,172 times

Advertisements

I am married and well over sixty five. My husband wasn't home ; I called the air conditioner place to repair our a/c.
The man arrived , worked outside in blistering heat for twenty minutes then came inside. He had to chat with me, or something, to see if it was really fixed.
This man, Adam, was overweight but really cute and sweet and about forty. Maybe younger. He was talking about he and his wife raising their daughter and what kind of methods they used. He said, "and we tell her, 'a woman has a vagina and a man has a penis.' I was speechless and expressionless. I was sitting in a recliner in my sweats with no makeup on; he was standing up.
Would you have responded? Thought nothing of it? Reported this to his boss? Eventually I said, "I bet you're anxious to get home to your wife after a day like this" and he goes, "she isn't home." He left soon afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 04:02 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,692,864 times
You're a fuddy-duddy. A woman does have a vagina and a man does have a penis. He's correct.

What exactly would you report to his boss?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:04 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
You're a fuddy-duddy. A woman does have a vagina and a man does have a penis. He's correct.

What exactly would you report to his boss?
Whether you think he's right or not, it's uncomfortable to have a stranger in your home talking about genitalia (and pushing an agenda,) when that has nothing to do with the job he was hired to do.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-12-2017 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Inappropriate but I don't understand how it came up in the conversation. I mean you can talk about raising a child without referencing genitals. If it were me I wouldn't call the boss this time. If he ever is in your house again and does something similar, then I would request that they assign another serviceman to your account.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times
Although a little backwards, that's a line from the movie "Kindergarten Cop" starring Arnold.
FWIW?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DPU2p70BbyopkD

Sounds to me that your repairman is a little clumsy at making polite conversation.
I'd just shake my head and laugh and move on.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:18 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
what's the problem here?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Very creepy and inappropriate. I might complain to the boss and just tell him/her what he said and say maybe he didn't mean anything by it, but you might want to have a sit-down with him about the kinds of topics that are appropriate while you're hanging around with a client waiting to see if the air conditioning is working, especially with a woman alone.

Even if he didn't mean anything by it, he needs a brush-up at minimum on what's appropriate conversation with a client/stranger.

You could always tell the boss that you could have just not said anything and called a different company next time, but thought you'd do the courtesy of telling the boss what you'd want to know about - if you were the boss. That's how I'd put it. And I do think that way. I think, what if I was this guy's manager/supervisor/owner of the company? Would I want to know about this? Heck yes! My insurance (if I was the boss) doesn't need to be hit with a sexual harassment suit. Right?

And when you talk about being older and didn't have your make-up on, etc., just made me think of that scene in When Harry Met Sally, where Billy Crystal is telling Meg Ryan how men pretty much want to nail every woman - regardless of what she looks like. :-)

Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Maybe he just doesn't have any filters. I tend to be pretty blunt but usually only with my husband.

I certainly wouldn't report him.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Sorry, I'm close to your age and don't find it the least offensive at all. I honestly don't think he meant anything by it other than they want their kids to understand basic anatomy from their parents, not from kids they play with. Sort of odd to have that conversation with a stranger but I doubt he thought it inappropriate.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
I've had professionals say inappropriate things to me before. Things that seriously made me go, "dude wtf?" Makes for good stories to tell later. I would have been uncomfortable with him particularly standing in my house saying inappropriate things though. I'd have been relieved when he left.

Like I work in an office and I would not speak those words out loud here in the cubicle farm around my coworkers. If you worked retail, unless you were at like Spencer's or something, you wouldn't just belt out those kinds of words ringing people up for groceries or sporting goods. So weird.

But yeah, my dentist says some off the wall stuff sometimes. Some people. I just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology