Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 02:21 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,194,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not hate cats, but after many years I have decided I am just not a cat person. I find them smelly and gross, demanding, mean and never satisfied.

I still get a kick out of watching them sometimes. Once in a while I will pend half an hour petting our cat. But I would rather not have a cat at all. Simple reasons I can think of is they stink up your house, get into everything and they just do not interact and have fun with you the way a dog does. You cannot take your cat hiking or camping, or out to a beach or park that allows them off leash. You cat generally does not greet you whenever you walk int he door as if you are long lost best friend. You cannot use them as pillows or blankets. They do not comfort you when you are sad or sick. Mostly the demand food, petting and entertainment from you and otherwise ignore you.

I have had a few cats I adored over the years, but even them I would not particularly want them now.

So I would not say I hate cats, I just do not much like them.

Actually cats do a lot of the things you say they don't. Maybe your particular cat didn't do the things you wanted but that doesn't mean all the other cats don't. Yes they have their own personalities just like any animal or human does and can and do react accordingly.

Cat litter is not wonderful but if your dog had to go in the house you'd have a much " larger" problem.
Cats do interact with you and will play if you play attention to them. No they don't slobber all over you and beg for attention, although my one cat comes up asking me to pet him on a regular basis. My other one jumps up and walks on the computer and asks to be paid attention to and petted. Purring and talking along the way.

I can play hide and seek or fetch with my cats.
If its breakfast or dinner time and Im late...I hear about it.
Many cats do greet their humans at the door.
Yes you can take cats hiking and boating - people do it and there are videos of it
Pillow or blankets...they can and do curl up beside you or on you and provide warmth
Sad or sick - well, mine have comforted me during those times by laying with me, or pawing my face and trying to console me. They do pick up on our feelings.

Another poster brought up people that abuse and purposely cause harm or death to cats (and other animals)...those people have a sick mind to think causing pain or death to anything is fun. Those are also the kids/people that end up killing people later. Lots of murderers started off abusing and harming animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 03:06 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,563 times
I'm like you, OP. I don't get it. All of the disadvantages of having cats considered, I still don't understand why they inspire such hate. I can't think of any pet that doesn't come with some inconveniences, aside from a pet rock. And while I identify as a cat person, I love dogs. I've just never had a dog because I perceive them to be a more difficult pet that requires more attention. I want to have dogs at some point, though.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:27 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,472,717 times
Generally speaking, creative people like cats, and domineering people don't. Hemingway and Hitler are examples.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Generally speaking, creative people like cats, and domineering people don't. Hemingway and Hitler are examples.
Interesting.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:10 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I have to say, I have seen this trend and noticed it. I thought maybe it was just me.

I totally get if someone isn't a "cat person", we all like different things. My brother isn't a cat fan because he's allergic, I get that. What turns me off is how people need to tell you how much they hate cats the second you mention having one. People will interrupt what I am saying to say how much they hate cats. Nobody has ever done that when I mention my dog.

I like all animals, so it's weird to me to just outright hate an entire species. In HS I knew boys who went out of their way to harm cats. When the hate leads to that, I have a problem with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Another poster brought up people that abuse and purposely cause harm or death to cats (and other animals)...those people have a sick mind to think causing pain or death to anything is fun. Those are also the kids/people that end up killing people later. Lots of murderers started off abusing and harming animals.
Yes, this is disturbing. I would like to know what type of person raises children to become that way. This segment of society must be commonplace too, considering overcrowded prisons.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:27 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
Cats are cool. I only have 1 cat now (born 5/06). The last time I had one cat was back in 1993. My sweet & loving 19 yr old died 2 weeks ago tonight. She died around 10:00 pm & I buried her in my back yard around 1:00 am sunday morn. I spent the last few hours with her & she died on my bed next to me. I adopted her 9/8/2000. This is the longest I have had a cat (over 17 yrs). I have had 10 cats total since 1989. I don't plan to adopt anymore cats but I will always have at least one.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
I don't hate any animal, maybe a snake trying to kill me, but don't want animals all over me or sleeping on me.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:22 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,495 times
I've noticed at a lot of the accounting firms I've worked at, many accountants hate cats. I suspect it's due to their ultra controlling, type A personalities and they feel they can't "control" the cat, so they despise them.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:40 AM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I own birds! Cats eat birds! The End!
I had birds .... my cats didn't go near them. Except they liked to sleep on top of the cage. Highest spot in the room.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:33 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,431,524 times
If a cat owner's home stinks it's because they're lazy and don't keep their cat's box clean. I bleach my cat box twice a week and scoop it at least twice a day. Cats themselves usually don't smell unless there's a health problem involved. If there's stink it's because of the filthy negligent owner. That dog smell though will make me gag. I remember one of my teachers in 8th grade reeked of dog smell. The whole classroom stank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology