Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,280,376 times

Advertisements

I have never owned a cat. I am definitely a dog person but a big dog person. I don't hate cats and I will pet them and be nice when they come my way but I don't like the feel of them. It's the same for me and little dogs. They are just too boney and scrawny and they don't fell nice for me to pet. Sorry but I just like big animals better. Big fluffy dogs, big cats, elephants, manatees etc.

An interesting article:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_4520552.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM

89 posts, read 65,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Personally I don't understand why people like them. I hate cats and don't give a damn how people feel about it. People here like to get so negative about negativity, like some SJW or something. Phsycoanalyze all you want, it has nothing to do with anything other than I hate them for what they are, how they are and the crap they do. Climbing on stuff, scratching stuff and whatever makes a cat a cat. I don't like it. Stay on the damn floor and leave bullspit alone.

I don't believe in declawing them, just like I don't believe in docking a dogs tail. I won't stop or swerve from on one the street. That said; as long as they are not in my house, I'm good. I've had threw, that technically wasn't mine; a stray we let in the house when I was a kid, my babymamas cat, who's only redeeming quality was he looked like church, and he sometimes looked out for me if I was depressed, my exes kitten whom I didn't want, that my other exes cat gave birth to, because I knew he'd be an a-hole...and he was an a-hole. I'll admit when I kicked her out, I tossed his butt like a football to the fenced in lot in to a pile of rocks, but he survived. I have friend that has a few cats, somw have had litters adding up to her having a lot of cats, some of the kittens were always up my butt, we used to carry them on our shoulders. Another friend has a fairly large 100% black cat that's half burmese- which is all I like about him, they have another one that likes to jump and lay in my lap. I vowed to never have a cat in my house, but I had to watch his cat for a week and after day one, when he tore up my alter and living room, kept him in the bathroom or cage- never ever again. The woman who lived next to my grandmother had a cat, though didn't care for me as a kid, took no offense to me playing with her kittens of many litters. My stepdad takes care of a stray, I'm the only one so far who can pick her up.

I still hate cats, I don't like anything about them, but if they are not in my house, I'll be peacefull. Two friends are staying with me now with three of these lil POS vermin, I can't wait till they get out of here. Can not wait. Climbing and jumping on crap, scratching my clothes hamper and speaker boxes, making unruly noises and acting like assess, hiding in or under stuff, ruining my alter, being nosey. I hate it.

As far as fear, I can't see a single reason to fear a cat or dog, especially a damn cat. We are bigger than they are. I've been clawed by cats, it honestly doesn't hurt me, it attacks me, I'll kick it, or throw it. A dog, the very same, unless it's big, then I might just kill it, if need be. As far as superstition or whatever, then...or one reason christians killed cats(black ones) is they thought they carried the plague and by their stupidity, made it a far worse plague, the demon nonsense is probably a black cats stigmata of being bad luck. I think they look cool, I used to want an all black main coon. Cats in general, at least for pagans and similar faiths are supposedly half in half out, they are portals to the other realm, some describe them as half dead, due to this fact ans when they are staring off, there's a chance they're looking to the other side.
Oh ok fair enough preference in preference. I agree to an extent too in the wild if another animal attacks another a fight will ensue. So it is awfully gutsy and stupid for a smaller weaker organism to just scratch or attack a person especially when the person is not hurting the animal or trying to threaten them. I had my share of hurting animals for assaulting me as well(never murdering them though especially little cats.) Good thing my lovely cats are sweet and well behaved.. I spoil them.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:33 PM

20,215 posts, read 14,443,385 times
And see literally in an entire screed about how much you hate cats, dude, the ONLY thing that makes me kinda hate you (I have that right) is the bit about throwing a kitten like a football into a pile of rocks.

Seriously if you hate them and don't want them in your house, then how come you keep winding up with people having them in your house where you need to get all pissed off about it? I don't like dogs. I don't want one in my house. So I don't have them in my house. I haven't had one in my house in my entire adult life because it is MY HOUSE. No need to worry about all the things they do, urinating and defecating on the floor, drooling and stinking, raising a racket with barking, needing to be either walked or let out to ruin the yard. Getting all up on people who don't want some stanky dog panting and slobbering in their face. Nevermind bites that send people to the hospital, which happened to me as a kid. One time my ex had some sketchy people move in with us and they brought dogs. I made the dogs stay out in the garage and yard, because I didn't want them in the house and it was MY house until I moved out. Then it was my ex's house and I didn't give a damn what he did with it.

Now you could argue with me that many dogs don't "go" on the floor, and that many dogs don't bark at all hours of the night at literally anything and everything, but I've experienced plenty with friends, neighbors, relatives, boyfriends and so on, where the dogs did exactly that, where they were a disgusting nuisance, or even an outright menace.

And just like the biggest issues of whether cats are destructive and unpleasant, a whole lot of it comes to how responsible the owner is, and whether they do what they should to care for that animal. Only with a dog, it's a lot more work.

By the way, the number one thing that makes a cat act like an a-hole, is when it's around people who are a-holes, especially those that hurt it or play rough with it. Those things cause cats to act badly in fear and aggression.

Anyhow. Don't like cats? Probably quit being a doormat and letting people move them into your space. Maybe you should have thrown the girlfriend into the pile of rocks instead.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention how some dogs dig and chew and are generally destructive to things.

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 02-13-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 PM

89 posts, read 65,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
And see literally in an entire screed about how much you hate cats, dude, the ONLY thing that makes me kinda hate you (I have that right) is the bit about throwing a kitten like a football into a pile of rocks.

Seriously if you hate them and don't want them in your house, then how come you keep winding up with people having them in your house where you need to get all pissed off about it? I don't like dogs. I don't want one in my house. So I don't have them in my house. I haven't had one in my house in my entire adult life because it is MY HOUSE. No need to worry about all the things they do, urinating and defecating on the floor, drooling and stinking, raising a racket with barking, needing to be either walked or let out to ruin the yard. Getting all up on people who don't want some stanky dog panting and slobbering in their face. Nevermind bites that send people to the hospital, which happened to me as a kid. One time my ex had some sketchy people move in with us and they brought dogs. I made the dogs stay out in the garage and yard, because I didn't want them in the house and it was MY house until I moved out. Then it was my ex's house and I didn't give a damn what he did with it.

Now you could argue with me that many dogs don't "go" on the floor, and that many dogs don't bark at all hours of the night at literally anything and everything, but I've experienced plenty with friends, neighbors, relatives, boyfriends and so on, where the dogs did exactly that, where they were a disgusting nuisance, or even an outright menace.

And just like the biggest issues of whether cats are destructive and unpleasant, a whole lot of it comes to how responsible the owner is, and whether they do what they should to care for that animal. Only with a dog, it's a lot more work.

By the way, the number one thing that makes a cat act like an a-hole, is when it's around people who are a-holes, especially those that hurt it or play rough with it. Those things cause cats to act badly in fear and aggression.

Anyhow. Don't like cats? Probably quit being a doormat and letting people move them into your space. Maybe you should have thrown the girlfriend into the pile of rocks instead.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention how some dogs dig and chew and are generally destructive to things.

Great post person.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:56 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,932,595 times
Some people (like my neighbor) do not give cats a chance therefore they hate them. Those type of people are just plain ignorant & uneducated. Cats are quite smart & very cool.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:43 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,770,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Yeah...uhh...I'm not gonna sit here and defend dogs, just because you think they're all like that, or because they're my preference. If it makes you fill better; it was almost a year old and it wasn't hurt. I'm not a doormat I just wasn't going to let them an ttheir stuff sit on the sidewalk on a rather cold 3am janurary morning because that's not right. My ex has a rather good assbeating coming to her, and that's another story.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,932,595 times
My female cat just turned 12 & I have had her for most of her life (adopted her @ 5 weeks). When I come home she greets me. For some reason she is afraid of balloons. When she sees one she runs & hides. Go figure.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,846,024 times
I think some people don't like cats because you can't always predict what they'll do and they don't follow you around and stare eagerly at you, awaiting your command, the way dogs do.

I think the technicalities - like the scratching and stuff - are less critical to this at times and may not always be genuine. Because you'll see dog owners, whose dogs smell bad, whose nails tap-tap maddeningly across the tile all the time, who chew stuff up and whose poop needs to be literally picked up at least once and sometimes more times per day, not blinking at these things. Or...I once knew a girl who hated cats with a passion and claimed they were "dirty" but she had rabbits that she allowed to run around her living room and she had to literally pick up the poop that they randomly and continuously trailed behind them, and she didn't seem to think that was dirty. Oh, and they'd scratch like hell with their rear paws when you tried to pick them up. They'd also chew/rip through whatever paper materials they could get to to shreds if given half a chance. She couldn't leave magazines out or anything while her little babies were roaming the house.

And OTOH there are people who just don't like animals, period, or who just aren't very fond of one specific animal...just because everyone's different. But when it comes down to "hate" then there may be more going on, IMO, unless it's a legitimate immediate hate (for example, "hating" a poisonous creature or one with giant fangs or claws that could actually blind or kill you, or "hating" a creature that spreads disease, such as certain insects, or one that hurts like hell when it stings you).

Old 05-11-2018, 06:18 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,138,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
My female cat just turned 12 & I have had her for most of her life (adopted her @ 5 weeks). When I come home she greets me. For some reason she is afraid of balloons. When she sees one she runs & hides. Go figure.
You will love this youtube video~~

https://youtu.be/aNVLCMFxxgs

Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM

937 posts, read 737,224 times
My husband actually calls me and my daughter 'the cats' because he thinks we would be that if we were animals. He tried to get us into skiing and we didn't take to it as much as he had hoped and so he sadly and almost bitterly lamented, 'Of course, the cats hate the snow. Of course, the cats can't be uncomfortable. The cats hate being cold.' He's a tremendous dog person and does have this irrational aversion towards felines. Yet, he thinks that the two people he lives with and loves are just like cats.

For a great peek into two endearing serious cat ladies, check out the 'Grey Gardens' documentaries on YouTube. Big and Little Edie Beale are the ultimate cat gals, and if you really study their psychology, you might get a few good insights into those who resonate well with cats.

I do like cats, but I'm very allergic to them. Otherwise, I would absolutely love a white Persian one. We would get along great. I know we would.

Quick funny cat story. We were at a dinner party years ago, and my ex- made a sour dismissive face at the host's cat who jumped up on the couch right next to him for him to pet her. This scorned cat daintily backed herself up to him and gracefully lifted her tail into the air and proceeded to break wind right in my ex's face.

Yeah, she farted right in his face, but she did it with tremendous grace, style, decorum, and aplomb, and I for one can't help but admire any creature capable of pulling off such a feat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology