Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The same ppsychology as someone who does like mushrooms, they just don't like them and the reasons are varied.
This is not a psychological issue but a preferred issue.
No,they actually hate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 04:28 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You mean other than all the hair all over everything and litter boxes with as much litter on the floors as in the box and that they climb up on the kitchen counters and other surfaces and some favorite keepsakes, plants and vases are in shatters and you can't depend on an unraveled roll of toilet paper and they walk all over your keyboard while you're trying to type and the fronts of some furniture has succumbed to claws and etc, etc, etc?
What's not to love?
I can't see where psychology has anything to do with it.
Let's see, well, if an owner tends to a cat's needs - brushing, trimming claws, maintaining their litter box, training them to not climb on counters and using scratching posts / corrugated scratchers for instance, it doesn't need to be as you describe, besides being loving toward and understanding that it is an animal cohabitating with you after all, it's a different psychological outlook. (If one had kids, they would need to consider their needs too, not just leaving them to fend for themselves).

Old 10-14-2017, 04:43 AM

344 posts, read 245,106 times
I don't hate cats. I just don't want one as a pet. To me, dogs are more loving. I also don't like cats climbing on kitchen counters and appliances or furniture with their kitty litter paws getting hair and dander all over. That's just gross. I also don't like cats wandering about my yard. There are no dogs in the neighborhood that do that...why do people think it's okay to let their cats out? I know people who don't like cats but I've never heard that people think they're evil.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I am talking about people who never even had a cat as a pet.

People calling them evil and selfish...how so?

What is so evil about a cat?

I love cats,and it hurts me when people say these things.
The fact is though that 80% of people I meet say these things.

Being a cat lover,I am not too fond of dogs,but i don't go out of my way to be mean to them.

My sister, a big dog lover,places moth balls in her backyard for stray cats.

I keep my distance from her.

Cats do not deserve all of the hate. The other problem is that it is socially acceptable to hate cats.
If i say i hate dogs people will say i have issues.

It just saddens me,and like i said it does hurt,like my heart sinks when i see or hear about cats being evil.

It borders on insane in some cases.
I know this has come up before and appears that some just cannot or will not see it. (Hey, I personally wouldn't want a snake, myself). I love both Cats and Dogs...but if a renter, dogs are not always allowed in rentals.

I became familiar with cat ownership in adulthood (not knowing how they were as a child) and have had a few over time. What I will say is, I do not like seeing a stereotypical viewpoint of them either, since I found they vary with different personalities and characteristics. Some people may have some negative experience which taints their view of ALL cats, but they do not deserve the nasty assumptions given them by some.

It needs to remembered how animals can end up acting as they do due to negative treatment by humans or having been feral, so one may be the result of this (just like a child who is mistreated or not raised well will have problems). At least many pet owners apparently have the understanding that cats are not "evil" and it's great to see how many households grace their homes with cats (and dogs).

Old 10-14-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
I don't hate cats. I just don't want one as a pet. To me, dogs are more loving. I also don't like cats climbing on kitchen counters and appliances or furniture with their kitty litter paws getting hair and dander all over. That's just gross. I also don't like cats wandering about my yard. There are no dogs in the neighborhood that do that...why do people think it's okay to let their cats out? I know people who don't like cats but I've never heard that people think they're evil.
I meant to stress this before - it comes down to owners as to how they raise one. An indoor pet cat should not be allowed to also roam, since they can become sick or injured or lost. Responsible cat owners (or dog owners) would not let their animals run loose. In some rural environments, it is more common it seems for cats to be outdoors and one will casually say they will let their cat out all night. You may also be experiencing strays - some people will feed them, so they will hang around outdoors, but do not have a home. (That is also a problem and if not being spayed or neutered, it creates overpopulating).

I prefer certain characteristics of dogs too, but kitties are loving and trainable and do not always do the same things. I have had my current one for ten years and she has never jumped up on a counter, but I allow her on other surfaces and has her own, cozy spots. As mentioned, they need brushing and there is maintenance involved as with any pet. After my first, I learned what to do or not do, making sure to have cat scratchers, etc. It really comes down to an owner as to how they behave and I hate to keep making this comparison, but just as how one would treat a child, animals respond, reflect and develop due to their environment (and from their initial beginnings which we may be unaware of). Those kitties outside? They may have been born outside or their owner has made it usual for them to be indoor-outdoor, so then they become accustomed to it.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:05 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times
My mother had a fear of cats and put it in my head.
I recall as a child trying to communicate w them and pretend I was not afraid. I didn't want to be like her but I felt the cat was so aware of my inside fears. They look like half rat and half snake to me. Now, please know when the cats are owned by my close friends they pick up their energy and are very kind. But the strays are like gangsters that scare me.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Cats and dogs are like apples and oranges. Both house pets, but very far from the same.

We've owned all dogs except for one cat. She was sweet, but I can't say I mourned long after she passed at 17 years old. No more cat hair, no more litter pans.

I am much more a dog lover and mourned any of our dog's passing. Still do.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
isn't it a lot like the psychology of someone who hates snakes or cockroaches or their ex-spouse?
My, my, my,
Once bitten
Twice shy, babe.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:36 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,yeah you may get an infection from a cat bit or scratch or just a scratch but you most certainly won't get your throat ripped out.

Dogs kill people!

Dogs kill people gruesomely too.
Some dogs kill people, but normally they don't act affectionate and THEN immediately kill the person. If it is true that normal cats "express affection" by biting and clawing, that's a very good reason for someone to not pet a cat. It's not reason to "hate" them, just to avoid them.

I think this is what most responders are trying to get through your head: That dislike or avoidance is not necessarily hatred.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:30 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
I'm indifferent to cats. Don't hate them, but don't go out of my way for them. I used to be allergic to them
Cats seem to know this as many come up and rub against me.
What drives me crazy are the people that can't accept that not everyone loves cats or that constantly talk about them. Also those that encourage the feral cats to hang out. I have scratches on my car from them climbing up,on it in the evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology